• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017-18 VU Schedule

Started by justducky, March 07, 2017, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_2010

Quote from: bsmith21 on April 27, 2017, 09:03:51 AM
I'm pretty sure that is where IPFW plays their home games normally. I think it was more like 3 or 4 to 1. Also I think Dane Fife had a lot to do with getting this scheduled before he left for Michigan state.

Used to play there. Poor attendance moved them to a 2000 seat campus gym a few years back. Last time we played there (December 2015?) was in the smaller gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWalum

The game was an IU home game. IU did set the ticket prices and IPFW was upset that the prices were set at a considerably lower level than they would have chosen.  IPFW splits home games between the Hilliard Gates Center on campus and the Memorial Coliseum across the street. They moved 70% of the games back on campus three years ago.  I was very disappointed that they chose to play VU at the Gates Center last time we played here in Fort Wayne.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpo64

If you remember, the VU/IPFW game didn't even fill their 1,800 seat arena.  When IPFW played IU, IU controlled everything, including ticket allotment.  IPFW only got around 1,800 tickets for that game.  Most of those in attendance were in red and white.

oklahomamick

Chicago's rosemont will be hosting the HL tourney.  Valpo will be playing a regular season game there against Norte dame. 

You think this would get Oakland fans upset?
CRUSADERS!!!

crusadermoe

I hope we all can get past the Butler envy. 

Frankly, I pull for Utah in the NBA now.  Do you realize that the Jazz roster has three former conference opponents of Valparaiso?

George Hill (IUPUI), Shelvin Mack, and of course Gordon Hayward.  Hayward was featured in the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday.  Focus was on his tennis skills and his late growth growth spurt.  He averages 22 points per game now and is amazing to watch.  Has the whole game and by all accounts is still a humble kid.  What's not to like?

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 27, 2017, 08:55:06 AM
Quote from: valpospartan on April 26, 2017, 09:54:11 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on April 26, 2017, 08:27:37 AM
The commuter schools in our league get the opportunity to play their big brother all the time.  Green Bay and UWM always get to play Wisconsin.  IPFW (not yet in the HL) got to host IU. 

As I recall, the IPFW-IU game was considered an IU home game.  I think that IU even got to determine the ticket prices.

It was a home considered a home game for IPFW, but I think they didn't play it at IPFWs place. I believe they moved it to a larger arena so it could accommodate more people (also Crean didn't want to play in another teams building, tougher environment.)

It was a 2 Home - 1 "away" for IU and the ONLY reason they did that was because James Blackmon Jr. was a Fort Wayne native and everyone overwhelmingly thought it was his last year at IU. He recently declared for the NBA but hasn't signed an agent yet so he can still pull out. He may be coming back since he did and IU didn't have the year they wanted. His draft stock took a hit this season.

I couldn't imagine if they had played that game in Gates at IPFW. Crean would have torn down one of the men's volleyball national championship banners hanging​ in his eyes and said "Well, let's see them fire me now."

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 27, 2017, 12:25:53 PM

Frankly, I pull for Utah in the NBA now.  Do you realize that the Jazz roster has three former conference opponents of Valparaiso?

George Hill (IUPUI), Shelvin Mack, and of course Gordon Hayward.  Hayward was featured in the Wall Street Journal on Tuesday.  Focus was on his tennis skills and his late growth growth spurt.  He averages 22 points per game now and is amazing to watch.  Has the whole game and by all accounts is still a humble kid.  What's not to like?

Agreed!

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 27, 2017, 01:02:47 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on April 27, 2017, 12:25:53 PM

Agreed!

I root for all the Horizon League NBA players, EXCEPT Ray McCallum Jr....

VULB#62

I'm playing WHAT IF again...........

WHAT IF....     Valpo is invited and accepts a slot in the MVC effective with the 2017-18 season.  Depending on how many teams the MVC adds (1, 2 or 3) our MVC schedule will be pretty pat (athough the rumored 20 game conference schdule with 11 members would remove 2 OOC games from the schedule).  It's the OOC games that I wonder about.  Matt is already working on that, and as in past years, I doubt that schedule will be released for some time.  I hope it is as robust as last years, but who knows, given the vagaries of mid-major scheduling. 

Back to the WHAT IF.  If Valpo leaves the HL, at this late date I doubt the HL will be able to replace us for 2017-18.  Therefore, two OOC slots open for the remaining 9 HL teams. Could that be a good thing for both Valpo and those teams in the HL who might benefit by scheduling us?  I'm thinking that Valpo would have it's pick of the highest rated teams (if they are interested) and could use that to bolster our OOC opponents RPI average.  Valpo's RPI would definitely enhance theirs.  For instance, I'd go after OU and try to keep that as an annual thing alternating home games annually.  I think that in 2017 NKU might have a  suitable RPI making them worthy of scheduling.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

On a different, but related thought, might we be trying to get a game with Vermont, in Burlington, so that Tevonn and Max can have kind of a Montreal homecoming in their senior year (it's just a 90 minute drive south from Montreal)?

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 28, 2017, 09:01:13 AMOn a different, but related thought, might we be trying to get a game with Vermont, in Burlington, so that Tevonn and Max can have kind of a Montreal homecoming in their senior year (it's just a 90 minute drive south from Montreal)?

They could combine with their monthly day of shopping and skiing.

oklahomamick

Looks like we will be going to Purdue next year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Looks like we can pencil in purdue, ball state and northwestern for that second week of December! That'll be fun!

oklahomamick

Quote from: M on April 30, 2017, 09:51:20 AMLooks like we can pencil in purdue, ball state and northwestern for that second week of December! That'll be fun!

At ball St. or at the ARC?
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 30, 2017, 01:29:59 PM
Quote from: M on April 30, 2017, 09:51:20 AMLooks like we can pencil in purdue, ball state and northwestern for that second week of December! That'll be fun!

At ball St. or at the ARC?

Its at Ball State this year. Did we schedule a new Home and Home schedule with Ball State? We've played them the last 4 years. I think its good for In-State teams to be playing each other (We're waiting at the phone Butler, IU, and Notre Dame. And surely Purdue didn't schedule a Home and Home with us. Maybe they scheduled 2 home - 1 away but unlikely...we would have heard that by now in that leak. I can't stand the P6 scheduling cartel in the NCAA)

(16-17) @ ARC. We won 79-73 http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400917023
(15-16) @ Ball State. Ball State won 69-66 (it was right after the west coast trip to play Oregon/Oregon St, we looked really tired that game) http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400841854
(14-15) @ ARC. We won 65-62. http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400587442
(13-14) @ Ball State. We won 69-50 http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/400507088

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on April 30, 2017, 03:15:16 PMIts at Ball State this year. Did we schedule a new Home and Home schedule with Ball State? We've played them the last 4 years. I think its good for In-State teams to be playing each other (We're waiting at the phone Butler, IU, and Notre Dame. And surely Purdue didn't schedule a Home and Home with us. Maybe they scheduled 2 home - 1 away but unlikely...we would have heard that by now in that leak. I can't stand the P6 scheduling cartel in the NCAA)
I suspect that Purdue and Northwestern were willing only because we are expected to have a somewhat down year (but maybe not). Wouldn't be surprised if Butler could also work us in for a one and done trip to Hinkle.   :rant: As good as we are now expecting to be in 18-19, I doubt that any of them will find room to squeeze us in anywhere for the 18-19 season.  I hope I am wrong.

VU2014

Well maybe we are getting a home & home with Purdue.... (maybe). Not feeling confident that a home and home is in the cards but I saw this so I thought I'd just share it.

https://twitter.com/Boiler_ray/status/858666609308831745
https://twitter.com/happeninghoops/status/858706624478932993
https://twitter.com/Boiler_ray/status/858743889548771328

valpotx

Purdue has been willing to play us at the ARC before.  I have nothing against them, as they don't require us to have a neutral court 'home' game like an IU, ND, etc.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Purdue would not play us anymore at the ARC while Keady was coaching.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on May 01, 2017, 09:10:52 AM
Purdue would not play us anymore at the ARC while Keady was coaching.

I don't think they'll come to the ARC either more because they don't want to give up $ of a home game.

I think there is a small chance they play us because Sasha Stefanovic is local kid who played for Crown Point. So maybe sometime in the next 4 years. I'd happily sign a 2 away for 1 home if we could get that done. Purdue came to the ARC for Robbie Hummel who ended up being injured.

bigmosmithfan1

Quotewouldn't be surprised if Butler could also work us in for a one and done trip to Hinkle.

I'd be stunned if we were willing to play a buy game at Butler. We might be willing to swallow our pride and do a 2-for-1, or a one-off neutral site game, but I'm fairly certain we aren't going to schedule them at their place without a return game. (More importantly, I think Butler has *zero* interest in playing and losing to us again).

VU2014

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 01, 2017, 09:43:38 AM
Quotewouldn't be surprised if Butler could also work us in for a one and done trip to Hinkle.

I'd be stunned if we were willing to play a buy game at Butler. We might be willing to swallow our pride and do a 2-for-1, or a one-off neutral site game, but I'm fairly certain we aren't going to schedule them at their place without a return game. (More importantly, I think Butler has *zero* interest in playing and losing to us again).

This.

But I'd swallow our pride and take a 2-for-1 for Butler. You know you'll be able to sell out that game when Butler comes to the ARC and you know you'd be getting a Top 25 opponent on the schedule every year for the next 3 years. Also its easy travel for Valpo. I'd do a 2-for-1 for any 4 of Purdue, IU, Butler and Notre Dame. Not sure those schools would want to risk coming into the ARC.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VU2014 on May 01, 2017, 09:52:52 AM
Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on May 01, 2017, 09:43:38 AM
This. But I'd swallow our pride and take a 2-for-1 for Butler. You know you'll be able to sell out that game when Butler comes to the ARC and you know you'd be getting a Top 25 opponent on the schedule every year for the next 3 years. Also its easy travel for Valpo. I'd do a 2-for-1 of any 4 of Purdue, IU, Butler and Notre Dame. Not sure those schools would want to risk coming into the ARC.

Ive heard of P5 teams signing 2 for 1 contracts and then just buying out the 1.....I guess you still get paid.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Purdue has shown a willingness to come to the ARC having come in 1997 and 2010. Indiana did come to Hilltop in 1919!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on May 01, 2017, 10:09:46 AM
Purdue has shown a willingness to come to the ARC having come in 1997 and 2010. Indiana did come to Hilltop in 1919!!

Not sure one game in 2010 constitutes willingness (Painter became the coach back in 2005). The only reason they played us was for Robbie Hummel. They scheduled that 2-for-1.

(08-09) Away at Purdue: http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/283632509 (man that 08-09 teams wasn't pretty)
(09-10) Away at Purdue: http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/293432509
(10-11) Home at the ARC: http://www.espn.com/ncb/recap/_/gameId/303412674

Coach Painter doesn't typically schedule true away games in other team arenas. Typically plays other teams on neutral sites or does the pay games at their place. They don't go to many other schools buildings.

Would be awesome to have Purdue come to the ARC? Yes. Is it likely? I'm not feeling confident. Small chance I guess. If they were to ever play at another schools place it would make sense to play at Valpo. Valpo is a very good opponent and Purdue would have a decent amount of fans at the game, so it wouldn't be your typical away game.

Would be such an electric environment with any of Purdue, IU, Butler, Notre Dame coming into the ARC and there is a decent chance ESPN would put the game on the ESPN2 if there was no other big sports events that night. It would likely get on ESPNU at the very least.

talksalot

Hilltop wAsn't built until 1939.  The old gymnasium was built about 1907, burning down in 1927