• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2018-19 VU Schedule

Started by VU2014, November 07, 2017, 08:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

...1997-98... Bethel 85-Valpo 75...Result?  Sweet 16.

VU2014

VUGrad1314

It's early but you can't help but be  concerned by the number of losses piling up for future opponents and the lack of key wins by our conference mates so far. The pessimistic side of me says the MVC may only get one bid this year. The optimistic side thinks that maybe just maybe this is a sign that we're not as far off as we think we are and that this could be a good year for us.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 10, 2018, 11:56:44 PM
It's early but you can't help but be  concerned by the number of losses piling up for future opponents and the lack of key wins by our conference mates so far. The pessimistic side of me says the MVC may only get one bid this year. The optimistic side thinks that maybe just maybe this is a sign that we're not as far off as we think we are and that this could be a good year for us.

Yeah this was a pretty bad day for the Valley. ISUr loses to Belmont and UNI lost as well. Also Loyola losing to Furman on buzzer beater dunk wasn't ideal. Two teams that had a shot at an at-large birth both losing key games. SIU held their own against Kentucky which is positive.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on November 11, 2018, 12:30:16 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on November 10, 2018, 11:56:44 PM

Yeah this was a pretty bad day for the Valley. ISUr loses to Belmont and UNI lost as well. Also Loyola losing to Furman on buzzer beater dunk wasn't ideal. Two teams that had a shot at an at-large birth both losing key games. SIU held their own against Kentucky which is positive.

Classification of a bad day really just depends on your expectations for the league.  If you look at Kenpom, Belmont was favored in their matchup against Illinois State.  Really the only unexpected losses for the league would be UNI dropping their game against UT-Arlington and Loyola losing to Furman.  Missouri State is playing better than anticipated, and everyone else is more or less holding serve so far.  It's very early though, and while I think the MVC as currently constructed is a one-bid league most years, that doesn't make it any less exciting to see the teams grow and develop over the course of the season.

crusadermoe

I have a hunch the Missouri State coach is the real deal and will improve them fast.  Maybe not this year but soon.     

VU2014

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 11, 2018, 02:29:45 PM
I have a hunch the Missouri State coach is the real deal and will improve them fast.  Maybe not this year but soon.     

I'm not sure they'll be real contenders this season but in the future definitely. Dana Ford is an elite recruiter and he's already shown that in his short time there. The direction is certainly pointing up for them.

VUGrad1314

I feel the same way about them and Evansville. I think the Aces are going to be really good really soon.

talksalot

So, looking at our D1 wins... Monmouth and SIUE... Here's a complete list of the opponent D1 victories:

I listed them alphabetically to ease your research.

UNLV is the highest rated team (#41) that we have left on our schedule.

They have wins over UC-Riv by 21, Oakland by 13, Pacific by 26 and Southern Utah by 5.

BTW, question... does the "NET" calculator use the rankings on the day you play the team? or is it based on "selection Sunday" ?  (When we win at UNLV, for a Q1 victory, ... but if they fall during the season, does that take away a Q1 win?

Asking for a friend.

EddieCabot

Quote from: talksalot on November 25, 2018, 09:55:49 AM
So, looking at our D1 wins... Monmouth and SIUE... Here's a complete list of the opponent D1 victories:

I listed them alphabetically to ease your research.

UNLV is the highest rated team (#41) that we have left on our schedule.

They have wins over UC-Riv by 21, Oakland by 13, Pacific by 26 and Southern Utah by 5.

BTW, question... does the "NET" calculator use the rankings on the day you play the team? or is it based on "selection Sunday" ?  (When we win at UNLV, for a Q1 victory, ... but if they fall during the season, does that take away a Q1 win?

Asking for a friend.

Not sure what the #41 ranking represents, but UNLV is currently 132 at KenPom.  That's 5 spots behind Wake Forest and about 20 ahead of Valpo.  KenPom predicting UNLV by 5.

On your question, I believe all of the data used on the NCAA tournament selection "team sheet" is based on the end of season rankings.  What looks like a Q1 win in December can slide to a Q2 by March, or vice versa. 

talksalot

the #41 is the "woefully innacurate" WarrenNolan RPI... which is not yet fully normalized (LMU is #5)

valpopal

Quote from: crusader05 on September 06, 2018, 07:21:59 AM

Quote from: VU2014 on September 05, 2018, 11:07:24 PM
Quote from: FWalum on September 05, 2018, 10:55:01 PM
Quote from: valpopal on September 05, 2018, 08:34:23 PMOne main problem is that many Valpo students from various university departments or organizations participate in multiple long-distance (national and international) spring semester service trips each year that provide educational, social, charitable, or cultural benefits, which would be hindered by a one-week break. I believe a compromise solution that somehow would accommodate these projects is being sought.
Organizations such as the choirs, band and orchestra normally go on tours during that time.
It took God 6 days to create the universe. I think the student groups can get whatever they need to get done in 7 days (9 days if you count the weekend)  ;)

I absolutely agree. The two week break is too long and honestly, in my opinion, creates a disservice to the students. 14 days is so long to go without being in classes and then when they return they are coming back in the middle of the semester. It can be almost a shock to the system and can mess with their ability to get moving again. I'm sure it will make some break logistics harder, especially for the trips that are farther away like Israel, Thailand and China, but they are still doable.

FYI: Just an update that the final decision has been made for VU to retain a two-week spring break in the future.