• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Missouri Valley Conference Men's Basketball All-Conference Teams & Awards

Started by VU2014, February 27, 2018, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

2018 All-Missouri Valley Conference Men's Basketball Team

First Team
Clayton Custer, Loyola Jr. G 6-1 Overland Park (Kan.) Blue Valley Northwest
Alize Johnson, Missouri St. Sr. F 6-9 Williamsport (Pa.) St. John Neumann
Ryan Taylor, Evansville Jr. G 6-6 Gary (Ind.) St. John's Northwestern Military
Reed Timmer, Drake Sr. G 6-1 New Berlin (Wis.) Eisenhower
Milik Yarbrough, Illinois St. Jr. F 6-6 Zion (Ill.) Zion-Benton Township

Second Team
Jordan Barnes, Indiana St. So. G 5-11 St. Louis (Mo.) Christian Brothers
Phil Fayne, Illinois State Jr. F 6-9 Elk Grove (Calif.) Franklin
Armon Fletcher, S. Illinois Jr. G 6-5 Edwardsville (Ill.) Edwardsville
Donte Ingram, Loyola G/F Sr. 6-6 Chicago (Ill.) Simeon
Donte Thomas, Bradley Sr. F 6-7 Calumet City (Ill.) Thornwood

Third Team
Darrell Brown, Bradley So. G 5-10 Memphis (Tenn.) Germantown
Bennett Koch, UNI Sr. F 6-10 Ashwaubenon (Wis.) Ashwaubenon
Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Fr. C 6-9 Algonquin (Ill.) Jacobs
Kavion Pippen, S. Illinois Jr. C 6-10 Hamburg (Ark.) Hamburg Three Rivers CC
Brenton Scott, Indiana St. Sr. G 6-1 Fort Wayne (Ind.) Northrop

All-Newcomer Team
Bakari Evelyn, Valparaiso So. G 6-2 Detroit (Mich.) Hillcrest (Ariz.) Academy
Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Fr. C 6-9 Algonquin (Ill.) Jacobs
Tywhon Pickford, UNI Fr. G 6-4 Minneapolis (Minn.) Maple Grove
Kavion Pippen, S. Illinois Jr. C 6-10 Hamburg (Ark.) Hamburg Three Rivers CC
Milik Yarbrough, Illinois St. Jr. F 6-6 Zion (Ill.) Zion-Benton Township

All-Freshman Team
Elijah Childs, Bradley F 6-7 Kansas City (Mo.) Lee's Summit West
Tyreke Key, Indiana State G 6-2 Celina (Tenn.) Clay County
Cameron Krutwig, Loyola C 6-9 Algonquin (Ill.) Jacobs
Tywhon Pickford, UNI G 6-4 Minneapolis (Minn.) Maple Grove
Lucas Williamson, Loyola G 6-4 Chicago (Ill.) Whitney Young

All-Defensive Team
Obediah Church, Missouri St. Jr. F 6-7 Springfield (Ill.) Springfield
Dwayne Lautier-Ogunleye, BU Jr. G 6-4 London (England) Bristol Academy
Sean Lloyd, Southern Illinois Jr. G 6-5 Philadelphia (Pa.) Mt. Zion (Md.) Prep
Ben Richardson, Loyola Sr. G 6-3 Overland Park (Kan.) Blue Valley Northwest
Tevonn Walker, Valparaiso Sr. G 6-2 Montreal (Quebec) Vanier College

All-Bench Team (selected by beat writers)
TBA -- Wednesday, Feb. 28

Most-Improved Team (selected by beat writers)
*TBA -- Wednesday, Feb. 28
*denotes team "captain" as designated by the league's beat writers

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/968516565309239298
https://twitter.com/CoachRagsVU/status/968525004567695365
https://twitter.com/CoachZimba/status/968529432196648961
https://twitter.com/_amleavitt/status/968519655949299713

78crusader

The All Conference selections highlight our lack of talent.  Each of the 10 Valley teams had at least one representative in the three All Conference teams...except VU.

Paul

VU2014

It also could point to our youth. I think Bakari, Golder and maybe Smits have a chance to make the Top 3 teams in the future.
EDIT: Mileek McMillan has a shot too. You need to project a little, but I think he's going to be a stud one day.

The breakdown by Year:
Senior: 6
Junior: 6
Sophomore: 2
Freshman: 1

Valpo's Active Roster Breakdown this season:
Senior: 2
Junior: 0
Sophomore: 6
Freshman: 3

M

Golder will wind up on the all bench squad. Think Mileek could've been an All Freshmen selection had he got more minutes.  Oh well, hopefully next year we see a few more names on these lists.

SanityLost17

Lucas Williamson, Loyola, All-Freshman team from Whitney Young...   

Might give us some insight on how well JFL is going to do next year?   

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 27, 2018, 01:22:15 PM
Lucas Williamson, Loyola, All-Freshman team from Whitney Young...   

Might give us some insight on how well JFL is going to do next year?   

I think they're 2 different types of players. JFL is more of a slasher while Williamson is more of a shooter from what I've heard but something you can take away is that a lot CPL kids are college ready. Whitney Young is one of the best High School teams in the State and is well coached. The Chicago Public League has some top notch high school basketball and it's a really physical brand of basketball.

FWalum

Quote from: 78crusader on February 27, 2018, 12:35:01 PM
The All Conference selections highlight our lack of talent.  Each of the 10 Valley teams had at least one representative in the three All Conference teams...except VU.

Paul
I don't think that this shows a true lack of talent. As already pointed out, our talent for the most part is younger and our competition was completely unknown by both staff and players. We played significantly better against teams the second time through the league. I think being the new team you are going up against a familiarity bias in this voting, most of these players have been known by the coaches and media over their entire careers, our players have only been seen twice. The only player that most logically (only 2 sophomores on any team) would have been considered for any of the "teams" would have been Tevonn and I think you could argue that if he had spent his career in the MVC he would have been on the 2nd or 3rd team. 1. He would have been much more familiar to every voter.  2. Probably would have had better stats playing against known foes.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Lists we're not on, wins we didn't get, players that didn't live up to expectations, a potential star for the next 2 years who couldn't make grades, and now a player carted down to the lock-up.  And, lest we forget, students who didn't show, a facility behind the times, and parking we don't have. This season can't come to an end fast enough.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on February 27, 2018, 12:51:39 PM
Golder will wind up on the all bench squad. Think Mileek could've been an All Freshmen selection had he got more minutes.  Oh well, hopefully next year we see a few more names on these lists.

You mean if Mileek "earned" more minutes.  We can't ignore his complete lack of defense and fouling perpetually while setting offensive tackles (oops I mean screens).  He is maybe worse on defense than Smits!

Still like his progress though.

M

He definitely makes his share of mistakes (even or seniors made plenty of head scratching plays this season). He also was the only guy who had to play afraid of making any mistakes. Heck, even when he didn't make any mistakes and scored in bunches he rarely lasted 4 minutes and never returned to the game....you're right though, he (and everyone else) has plenty to work on this summer.

VU2014

Which guys on our team do you think have a chance to make the most improved list next season? I think we have a couple.

Mileek McMillan: I think he has a chance but I'm not sure he's going to take a big enough step to the point other beat writers take notice next season but he'll definitely win some Conference awards by the time his college career is over.

Derrik Smits: If he can improve his defense and rebounding to the point Coach doesn't have to pull him for defensive scenarios at the end of games he's going to rack up some big numbers.

Markus Golder: I'm not sure he'll earn this award next season because he's already on most conference beat writers radars but be he has a chance to really improve next season if he really works hard on working with off hand (left). It would be a complete game changer for him and the team. The scouting report is out on him that he never uses his left so it puts him in some bad situations and causes some silly TOs sometimes.

M

For most improved I'd say Mileek and Micah have the best chances on our roster.

VU2014

Quote from: M on February 28, 2018, 11:30:05 AM
For most improved I'd say Mileek and Micah have the best chances on our roster.

The game just needs to slow down for him. Once he limits the silly fouls and makes less error on defense he's going to get more run on the court and he'll be able to shine. He's shown glimpses this season.

crusadermoe

Good for Markus.  It's good to see guys learn a life lesson.  What a treat to watch when he is  rolling.   

VUGrad1314

I've gotta say. I'd take the all MVC first team against pretty much anybody. That group of five could do some damage if they were ever together on the court.