• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2021

Started by FWalum, March 15, 2018, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpower

Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 01:25:11 PM

I can't believe we're having this conversation.

People take liberties when you express yourself in such an open-minded way, wh. Damned people and their conversations!

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on October 27, 2020, 05:12:55 PM
Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 04:41:08 PMThis sounds eerily similar in the level of irresponsibility to Congress passing legislation that gave most every adult in the country a free $1200 and $500 for their kids, whether they suffered a job or hours loss, or didn't. I can personally attest to a boatload of friends and relatives who received checks who hadn't lost a penny due to COVID. What a country.   

I don't disagree with you there. I took the money I was given and bought this very laptop that I'm typing this on. The leftover money I donated to the Biden campaign. It felt like the right thing to do!

The Biden quip is clever. Let me be more direct. College athletic departments across the country are in severe financial distress, and with all the COVID restrictions on game attendance it's going to get worse IMO - much worse. Here we are almost in Nov. and the Athletic Dept. has yet to collect a dime for season tickets. With COVID getting worse, conceivably, the entire season's gate could be lost. As we know, normal NCAA tournament revenue sharing has taken a huge hit, a situation that will continue to affect revenue sharing for several years. Pay-to-play games are dead. Certain other scholarship sports have been eliminated. The university itself is in severe financial distress.

Just when you think things can't get worse, the NCAA strolls in and makes a shortsighted decision to further add to the university's financial dilemma by forcing the provision of more scholarships over the next 4 years, whether they're needed or not. So, who's going to pay for these? Certainly not the NCAA. The athletic dept. doesn't have it. The university doesn't have it. How are donors like me supposed to respond when the next appeal comes asking if I can help out? Hopefully, you can appreciate on some level my frustration when organization governance decides to recklessly spend someone else's money that they don't have and at a time where they're trying to hang on for dear life. How easy it is to play Santa Claus and sow good will when you're charging on someone else's credit card.

wh

Quote from: Valpower on October 28, 2020, 09:08:32 AM
Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 01:25:11 PM

I can't believe we're having this conversation.

People take liberties when you express yourself in such an open-minded way, wh. Damned people and their conversations!

Touche!  :lol:

valpo95

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2020, 10:37:41 AM
Just when you think things can't get worse, the NCAA strolls in and makes a shortsighted decision to further add to the university's financial dilemma by forcing the provision of more scholarships over the next 4 years, whether they're needed or not. So, who's going to pay for these? Certainly not the NCAA. The athletic dept. doesn't have it. The university doesn't have it. How are donors like me supposed to respond when the next appeal comes asking if I can help out? Hopefully, you can appreciate on some level my frustration when organization governance decides to recklessly spend someone else's money that they don't have and at a time where they're trying to hang on for dear life. How easy it is to play Santa Claus and sow good will when you're charging on someone else's credit card.

I appreciate the frustration, yet there is a key point missing from this discussion thread. There is a difference between the value of a scholarship and the cost of a scholarship. Briefly, there is a value of the scholarship to the student athlete, who can obtain an education, a degree, or maybe even an advanced degree by virtue of being on an athletic team. Otherwise, that same individual would have had to pay out of pocket for the same education/degree. However, look at it from the perspective of the university: The actual cost of running the university does not change all that much whether or not that student is on the team or not. Imagine it this way: A player is a senior majoring in Management, one of 30 students majoring in management (29 of which are not student athletes). If instead of playing his senior year, that student transferred to a different university, there would be 29 students majoring in Management. Does that mean the University saves $25,000 in costs by not providing that scholarship? Could you cut the pay of the professors? No. Are there some variable costs saved? Yes, such as one less meal to provide on a road trip, or travel to pay for, etc. Depending on room&board and other factors, there could be some real savings, yet it is not directly related to the fixed costs of running the university.

Bottom line is that what the NCAA has done is given student athletes the opportunity to stay around for another year. Some will do so, others will move on, yet it is not a dramatic change in the actual costs of the university as has been suggested.

BTW, I used $25,000 because this is a pretty good approximation for the average cost of attendance even though the sticker price for tuition is twice that amount.

vu84v2

If I am not mistaken, universities are not required to use every scholarship up to the NCAA maximum. While a university cannot withdraw a scholarship without cause, they could just only manage the program to the number of scholarships that it was managed to before the pandemic.

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2020, 10:37:41 AM
Quote from: wh on October 27, 2020, 04:41:08 PMThis sounds eerily similar in the level of irresponsibility to Congress passing legislation that gave most every adult in the country a free $1200 and $500 for their kids, whether they suffered a job or hours loss, or didn't. I can personally attest to a boatload of friends and relatives who received checks who hadn't lost a penny due to COVID. What a country.   

I don't disagree with you there. I took the money I was given and bought this very laptop that I'm typing this on. The leftover money I donated to the Biden campaign. It felt like the right thing to do!

The Biden quip is clever. Let me be more direct. College athletic departments across the country are in severe financial distress, and with all the COVID restrictions on game attendance it's going to get worse IMO - much worse. Here we are almost in Nov. and the Athletic Dept. has yet to collect a dime for season tickets. With COVID getting worse, conceivably, the entire season's gate could be lost. As we know, normal NCAA tournament revenue sharing has taken a huge hit, a situation that will continue to affect revenue sharing for several years. Pay-to-play games are dead. Certain other scholarship sports have been eliminated. The university itself is in severe financial distress.

To clarify, the extra scholarships will be allowed for only the '21-'22 season and only for current seniors who choose to return to their current school.  For the '22-'23 season, coaches must manage the roster back to 13 scholarship players.  This may be a challenge since many players may want to stay around a year longer than originally expected.

All this managing of rosters may become easier if the NCAA allows each player one-time transfer with no sit out requirement, which is expected to be passed next summer. 

vu72

And as with other, minor sports, scholarships are split so one may get 1/2 scholarship while another may get 1/4 of a scholarship (I think that is how it works).  Only Men's and Women's basketball and Volleyball have a full compliment of scholarships--full rides for all.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

EddieCabot

I'm also curious how many players will move up career statistical lists because they will play the equivalent of 5 seasons?

VU2014

Quote from: VU2014 on October 28, 2020, 12:34:55 AM
A program out there will land a diamond in the rough. There are always late bloomers who get noticed late in HS season and up their stock. Not sure who it is but always seem to be a couple from the State of Illinois.

The strange thing is the state government had no issue allowing AAU basketball with no masks or testing this Summer but they won't allow the HS sports to be played. Maybe it's a liability issue but I was surprised they allowed AAU games to be played.

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1321201735852040193?s=21

Wow. The IHSA is going to defy the Governor of Illinois and play a season now

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1321538505034637318?s=21

bbtds

A thousand "likes" for this one. Don't forget to vote!

VUBBFan

First signee for 2021. Our other 2 verbals should be following soon. Just need to fill our final spot.

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1326550821832552448

valpopal

And here is another addition as the final 2021 scholarship goes to Keyondre Young, a 6'8" shooting guard:

[tweet]1327688421985357829[/tweet]

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpopal on November 14, 2020, 01:23:33 PMAnd here is another addition as the final 2021 scholarship goes to Keyondre Young, a 6'8" shooting guard:

Just throwing it out there. I heard that with the added one year of eligibility offered this year to current players, that the rosters will be expanded next year. Does that mean we could possibly have additional scholarships available for next year and recruiting is not done for 2021?

crusader05

From what I understand the expanded scholarships will be for any members currently on the team but would not apply if they choose to transfer and are only for those players. It's basically like everyone gets an extra year of eligibility but only if they stay on the team they're on. If they transfer I believe they lose that extra year

elephtheria47

Young is #5 in Oklahoma. Can't wait to see him suit up for the "University of Valparaiso".

VU2014

All 4 scholarships are now full. Keyondre seems like a super interesting recruit. Great shooting stroke And great length but really needs to hit the weight room and add muscle to the frame. I have no gauge for ball handling, passing or defense. But definitely has a good base to work from.

valpo64

I guess that Nick M is out?

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on November 16, 2020, 10:18:51 AM

Sounds like it. Paul hinted a while back we were out. I think it was right after Woodyard signed is when he mentioned we were out. He's a really good player but the guys we signed seem to have great potential as well. Only time will tell.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on November 16, 2020, 04:41:58 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on November 16, 2020, 10:18:51 AM

Sounds like it. Paul hinted a while back we were out. I think it was right after Woodyard signed is when he mentioned we were out. He's a really good player but the guys we signed seem to have great potential as well. Only time will tell.

Agree on potential.  We are signing guys ranked in the top 5 in an entire state.  One ranked nationally.  If our coaches are as good as advertised we will be in the hunt for MVC titles until, if it happens, Matt moves to greener pastures.  Ask Bryce how that worked out!  Seriously, can't wait for the "season" to get underway!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

SanityLost17

It would appear all of our recruits from 2020 and 2021 are going to start their career at Valpo playing better basketball that McMillan started his freshman year.  All are way ahead of where he was when he came into the program.    If Lottich and staff can progress just 60% of these recruits the way they progressed McMillan we are going to be really good a few years down the road.   

Chairback

I think we are missing a center.  It's a hole in our lineup.  Many will say it's not needed and we can run different looks
defensively but to me is a big missing piece. 

VUGrad1314

Maybe but not as big as you might think. I think a lot of teams are running without centers these days unless they can find a specific type of center that they can run an offense through and who is a willing passer See: Austin Phyfe and Cameron Krutwig for examples in our conference. 

vu72

Quote from: Chairback on November 17, 2020, 05:52:39 PM
I think we are missing a center.  It's a hole in our lineup.  Many will say it's not needed and we can run different looks
defensively but to me is a big missing piece. 

Its a different game today.  The days of a lumbering 7 footer are gone.  With McMillan at 6'8" and then Krikke or Jacob at about the same size, we will be fine. All can shoot the three and thus take the bigger, slower guys out of their game.

wh

Keyondre Young to Join Valpo Basketball Program

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2020-21/19979/keyondre-young-to-join-valpo-basketball-program/

When I read through a recruiting article like this, there's always something in it that reinforces why I care so deeply about this program. More than winning and losing or even how good the recruit is, it's the way the coaching staff embraces their players from the minute they start recruiting them, and it never stops. There's a reason that nearly every recruit talks about the family atmosphere, the genuine warmth of the coaching staff, etc. It seems to cross racial lines, regional differences, even different nationalities. It was that way under Homer, then Bryce, and now Matt. Look at these comments. This is just great stuff.

"Valpo is a winning program and a great school," Young said. "The team seems like a family and they have great coaches. I really connected with the coaching staff and they made me feel like they really wanted me through the recruiting process. It was a no-brainer to choose Valpo."

"It was great to learn about the coaches and their families," Young said. "We spent time talking about practices, workouts and games, but they also got to know me on a personal level. We talked about movies and TV shows. We definitely built a connection that felt bigger than basketball, very much like a family. I'm confident that I'll feel at home when I arrive at Valpo."

VU2014

Our scholarships for 2021 are full and Paul mentioned in the past that we are out. But I'll be certainly following his college career.

He may land at Drake, Ball State, App State or UIC. There is a chance Valpo may play his future team in the next 4 years.

https://twitter.com/nique_coach/status/1334342307219386368?s=21