• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman Liberty

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2019, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

I saw Javon play in person on Tuesday. He drew Marquette's top defender (last year's Big 10 defensive player of the year) and still had a good offensive game. What strikes me, beyond his obvious skill on both ends of the court, is his court maturity. He understands the right balance between being aggressive and patient.

The rest of DePaul's team just seems to lack cohesion (not sure that their talent is up to par with the Big East as well). Their team defense was horrid and the ball does not move with purpose on offense.

My guess is that he will transfer again after this year and will transfer to a highly prominent program. He has a legitimate shot at playing in the NBA, but a year at a top program would help build his credentials. He could be a really good fit at a place like Kansas or Michigan State.

Old Timer

I watched him play against Villanova and he had 22 the first half. Villanova denied him the ball the second half and took the game. I believed he still managed to get 30. He is the real deal in all phases of the game. With Big East player of the year discussion in the works I believe his choice to transfer worked out to be the best move.

vu84v2

Quote from: Old Timer on January 13, 2022, 12:00:10 PM
I watched him play against Villanova and he had 22 the first half. Villanova denied him the ball the second half and took the game. I believed he still managed to get 30. He is the real deal in all phases of the game. With Big East player of the year discussion in the works I believe his choice to transfer worked out to be the best move.

I can see Javon making first team All Big East, but if DePaul finishes in the bottom two or three and Villanova finishes in the top two then Gillespie will be Big East player of the year.

Just Sayin

JFL had 12 before injury. With just over 2 minutes to go, #20 Seton Hall down 83-72 to DePaul.

Just Sayin

DePaul poorly-coached team. Might lose.

Just Sayin

DePaul 96, Seton Hall 92 Final

Chairback

JFL announced he is leaving DePaul.   Didn't even wait for the Big East Tournament to be over.  If I was his coach I wouldn't play him.   

usc4valpo

Leaving DePaul to transfer? pro?

Chairback

To clarify "will not be back at DePaul"

vu72

More interesting "guidance" from his "team".
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on March 03, 2022, 08:12:51 AMMore interesting "guidance" from his "team".
Not sure I blame him. He's having an unbelievable year at DePaul, but DePaul is not a good team. My guess is he tries for Pro this summer, if it doesn't happen he will get plenty of big names calling for him to transfer to next year (and I assume he can be a grad transfer). I'm sure he would leave the door open for a return to DePaul if a better situation doesn't arise (we've seen that from him before haven't we).

He has pro aspirations, as he should. Whatever the best move to accomplish that is, he should make it.

That being said, yeah he probably should have waited till after the tournament to announce.

crusader05

He almost transferred back to Valpo last year from rumors that were flying around but decided to try the new coach out.

Doubt Valpo's on his radar this time but I don't think he was ever fully happy there. You have to wonder if COVID hadn't happened right after the MVC tournament run what the Valpo team looks like now.

elephtheria47

I feel he is going to make a full effort to make it pro this off-season. Maybe he'll come back to Valpo and be the Ja Morant of college bball! I'm guessing if he does return to cbb, he slides a little south and ends up at U of I.

JD24

I find this "news" neither a big deal or surprise. I'm going to guess the DePaul program finds it even less so.

The pro game beckons and it's time for him. It isn't as if he's an 18 year old freshman.

vu84v2

Agree with the prior post. I have seen quite a bit of Big East basketball this year and JFL is definitely one of the five best players in the conference. He has nothing to prove by going to another college team (even if it is much better than DePaul), so it is pretty clear that he will go pro.

ksValpo01

I can confirm that JFL is not going back to Valpo, but will likely turn pro even if that means going overseas. I get the impression he's done waiting for that money.

Pgmado

I got to the bottom of this all.

Sounds like it was an overzealous high school kid in the press conference who misinterpreted something Javon said about it being the last game of the year at WinTrust. He never directly said he was leaving and the question was never directly asked. I've talked to two people who were in the press conference. For Javon's part, he tweeted that he was keeping his options open.

tiny707

Coming back home Friday night with the Raptors...

Chairback

Home isn't Valpo for him. Who cares. 

tiny707

True statement. Chicago is home not Valpo. United Center is in Chicago not Valpo. I care. Top four Valpo player of all time. Brought us to finals. Times have changed with transfers. If you don't care keep scrolling.

wh

Quote from: tiny707 on October 26, 2023, 07:27:29 PM
True statement. Chicago is home not Valpo. United Center is in Chicago not Valpo. I care. Top four Valpo player of all time. Brought us to finals. Times have changed with transfers. If you don't care keep scrolling.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion about embracing JFL, just as Chairback is entitled to his without it being summarily dismissed. I could easily use your point about how times have changed with transfers as a good reason not to care. As you may recall, he announced he was leaving after his freshman year, then changed his mind. Not much of a relationship there from the get-go.

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on October 26, 2023, 07:48:15 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on October 26, 2023, 07:27:29 PM

You're certainly entitled to your opinion about embracing JFL, just as Chairback is entitled to his without it being summarily dismissed. I could easily use your point about how times have changed with transfers as a good reason not to care. As you may recall, he announced he was leaving after his freshman year, then changed his mind. Not much of a relationship there from the get-go.

Not to mention that mention that he assured fans that he was staying in Valpo shortly before entering the transfer portal.
Beamin' Beacons