• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman Liberty

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2019, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I don't mind his floaters, as it gives him another shot that defenses have to guard.  We all know that he can take it to the hole, but if he continues his outside shot progress, and nails that floater on a more regular basis, he becomes even more dangerous.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

The single best and most important thing he could do for his game right now would be to develop his outside shot. The floater is extra gravy. The outside shot is necessary both for his sake as a college player and for his professional future. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what most NBA decisionmakers tell him as he tests the draft waters this year.

VU2014

I'm glad JFL is getting the NBA feedback. Hopefully it's a great experience. It can't hurt in the very least.

vu84v2

I can fully understand JFL wanting to get feedback from the NBA. But is he really going to get any feedback if things are locked down until a few weeks before the NBA Draft in June?

VU2014

Just found out. Steve Hudson is a leader in the CPL and Chicago AAU community passed away on Friday. Sounds like he may have been close. Sad news.

https://twitter.com/ssuburbanhoops/status/1247066667861135362?s=21

VU2014

This award probably would have gone differently if JFL chose to stay.

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1263137688279973888?s=21

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 20, 2020, 06:13:14 PM
This award probably would have gone differently if JFL chose to stay.

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1263137688279973888?s=21

Possibly, but it ended up going to the right person.  Bruno was both a scholar (very important at a place like Valpo) who was named MVC Track Scholar-Athlete of the Year) and Valpo's first Valley Champion in The Valley by winning the mile at the indoor championships.  Two things JFL couldn't measure up to.  Bruno is carrying a 3.7 gpa in a Master's program studying Analytics and Modeling.  :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on June 03, 2020, 04:48:07 PM
Interesting. I didn't even notice when I first saw the picture...

https://twitter.com/thereal_mg3/status/1268277755545706497?s=21

To include a picture of a former employee who now works for a direct competitor to promote a current company cause would place the business in legal jeopardy. I can't think of a reason why the circumstance at hand would be any different. JFL represents and is represented by DePaul University, not Valparaiso University.

NativeCheesehead

Whatever, man. Markus talking about loyalty is like Trump talking about adultery.

valpolaw

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on June 03, 2020, 10:11:01 PM
Whatever, man. Markus talking about loyalty is like Trump talking about adultery.

I'm sure there are a lot of fans of North Idaho College that were upset when Markus left after his redshirt freshman (academically a sophomore) season. He could have played another year there.

https://nicathletics.com/teams/mens-basketball/roster/2015-2016/markus-golder.html

What's not to like about Coeur d'Alene, Idaho?

VU2014

Javon doesn't seem to be in a good spot...

I think when decided to transfer he'd get instant eligibility but maybe the NCAA isn't granting it. They've granting waivers like candy so maybe idk what's up with his eligibility status

https://twitter.com/aintujavon/status/1316771123196035076?s=21

valpo64

If he does not get to play this season he gets now sympathy from me.  This transfer thing is getting way out-of-hand IMO.  It seems like anything these "kids" want they expect to get and sorry to say that is often what happens.  There may be some very good causes for a few exceptions, but in general these transfers are getting ridiculous.  They know the rules before they file...so what is their beef?  Deal with it , "kids"!

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on October 15, 2020, 01:23:41 PM
If he does not get to play this season he gets now sympathy from me.  This transfer thing is getting way out-of-hand IMO.  It seems like anything these "kids" want they expect to get and sorry to say that is often what happens.  There may be some very good causes for a few exceptions, but in general these transfers are getting ridiculous.  They know the rules before they file...so what is their beef?  Deal with it , "kids"!

It's pretty clear he wanted to play one more season season of CBB and then potentially go pro. He took a gamble he'd get instant eligibility to play but doesn't sound like they've granted it so far.

Javon listened to his Uncle on this one from my understanding and it's back firing. This all in the past now and I don't want to beat a deadhorse but he was THE guy at Valpo and the offense was surrounded around him and he gave it up to play for DePaul... and a chance to likely only play there one season. Questionable advise...

Sucks for JFL but he still has bright future but definitely throws a wrench into his plans to go pro early

VUGrad1314

Is the holdup on Valpo's end? I hope not. That tends not to reflect very well on future recruiting.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 15, 2020, 05:07:31 PM
Is the holdup on Valpo's end? I hope not. That tends not to reflect very well on future recruiting.

I don't think so. Could be they don't believe in the cause. I remember hearing he wanted to be closer to his grandma

valpolaw

So the grass might not actually be greener on the other side huh.....strange how that works

valpotx

I highly doubt that we would be the one holding up anything.  It has to be that the NCAA isn't buying the family reason, especially with how close our school is to Chicago.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

JFL going pro in a year? What pro league are we talking about? Be aware that he went to DePaul in a more competitive conference, but DePaul has been a consistent cellar dweller in the Big East  for at least a decade. DePaul basketball has sucked for awhile and has been an administrative mess.

nkvu

I don't recall any of our transfers going on to greater things than they would have had they stayed. Yes Brandon Wood did, I think, start at Michigan State and play in the NCAA tournament. But I don't think you could say he was a star there, and I don't think his pro career was any better than it would have been had he stayed. Likewise I think David Skara ended up starting at Clemson but I doubt it really enhanced his pro career much. The twin towers never got more than a few minutes per game at their transfer schools. I know the young can be eternally optimistic  but the track record of the kids that transferred does have lessons it could teach if they would only listen.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 17, 2020, 08:29:02 AMJFL going pro in a year? What pro league are we talking about? Be aware that he went to DePaul in a more competitive conference, but DePaul has been a consistent cellar dweller in the Big East  for at least a decade. DePaul basketball has sucked for awhile and has been an administrative mess.

Yeah but they really showed some signs of life last year (at least in the nonconference) and isn't their corrupt incompetent AD gone? I think things will be looking up for DePaul in short order.

JD24

Pro? As in NBA pro or overseas? If it's NBA it is a deep fantasy right now.

usc4valpo

1314 - I agree with your comment, but it will be a process to clean up the DePaul swamp. DePaul still thinks of themselves as Chicago's major college basketball team, and their credibility has tanked over decades. That program requires an enema starting with the coaching staff and better engagement in recruiting the talent rich Chicagoland area. They have a beautiful arena, a nice campus in a great neighborhood - they should be able to succeed.
As for JFL - good luck, but he led Valpo hanging. Time to move on.