• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Old Student Sections Cheers

Started by VU2014, February 11, 2019, 09:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

A student recently reached out to me asking to know some of the old student section cheers. They want to get some of the old cheers going in the student section again. Could we all help him out. I wanted to include everyone in this because some of you guys have been fans for much longer than me. I've heard the 90's were pretty good times and there were some cheers that even made Barry Hinson laugh on the opposing bench. Let's include the funny ones.

3. 2. 1. GO!

edit: brought the clips back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZo_K-pMZmk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMIfgpLN4ZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz978LQiDgY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-STAL0aNko

valpopal

Lots of fun reminiscing with those video clips of the student fan section, and a lot of familiar faces. I remember all of those games; however, looking again at the one with Dick Vitale I noticed the famous "Orange Shirt Fan" is there beside him, although I never knew who he was. Anybody recall? I also remember the officials were pretty upset when the fan section did the Harlem Shake and spilled onto the court during a time out. I wish there were video of earlier years like when Mouse McFadden was greeted with slices of cheese. Also, I would like to see video showing the team going into the bleachers and joining the fans for cheers after every game. If the current students could get that atmosphere back consistently, it would be great for the game-day experience. 

Edit: Just noticed that it appears the video clips were taken down.
Edit 2: Thanks for bringing back the clips!

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on February 11, 2019, 10:09:27 PM
Lots of fun reminiscing with those video clips of the student fan section, and a lot of familiar faces. I remember all of those games; however, looking again at the one with Dick Vitale I noticed the famous "Orange Shirt Fan" is there beside him, although I never knew who he was. Anybody recall? I also remember the officials were pretty upset when the fan section did the Harlem Shake and spilled onto the court during a time out. I wish there were video of earlier years like when Mouse McFadden was greeted with slices of cheese. Also, I would like to see video showing the team going into the bleachers and joining the fans for cheers after every game. If the current students could get that atmosphere back consistently, it would be great for the game-day experience. 

Edit: Just noticed that it appears the video clips were taken down.

The Orange Shirt Fan's name is Colin Strange lol. Funny kid. He's living down in Augusta, Georgia now if I remember. It's been a few years since I've talked to him. That was a ton of fun.

VUGrad1314

That Dickie V\ Bracketbuster clip brought tears to my eyes. I want that kind of atmosphere every game.

VUGrad1314

Will Bogan sighting in the first clip. There's a blast from the recent past.

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on February 11, 2019, 10:09:27 PM
Also, I would like to see video showing the team going into the bleachers and joining the fans for cheers after every game.

I forgot this one. It was great being in the middle of the celebration with the team! [Note the wounded Kevin Van Wijk avoiding the jostling by the crowd and being helped off the court.]

VALPO LI

Hey VU play these videos on the Union TVs breakfast, lunch and dinner before every home game!!!! Play these videos at the welcome center, at the arc on the BIG SCREEN!!!!!
I woke up, had my coffee.... :coffeetime:
Saw the ValparaiZone video and now I am pumped  :o :o :o :) :) :) going to work!!!!!!!

PLAY THESE VIDIOS!!!!!!!!
That's how you get a crowd to the games!
Shine on Vu

vufan75

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on February 11, 2019, 11:09:04 PM
That Dickie V\ Bracketbuster clip brought tears to my eyes. I want that kind of atmosphere every game.
Gosh....me too!! That was just a spectacular time and fun game to be at. I don't think Cuonzo Martin knew what hit the Missouri State Bears that day. [emoji459][emoji91][emoji3]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

VU2014

A few of the cheers were kind of predicated on the band also being in on it.

-a couple days of the ones that were always fun was the rollercoaster

-left/right whenever a player fouled out (but you need to get everyone on board for that one to make it fun)

Question: what was the old cheer that Harre or the old AD didn't like lol? I've heard it was hilarious but I can't remember it

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on February 12, 2019, 08:41:46 AM
A few of the cheers were kind of predicated on the band also being in on it.

-a couple days of the ones that were always fun was the rollercoaster

-left/right whenever a player fouled out (but you need to get everyone on board for that one to make it fun)

Question: what was the old cheer that Harre or the old AD didn't like lol? I've heard it was hilarious but I can't remember it

I believe it ended with "we're going to beat the 'ell out of you!"

Valpo2013

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 12, 2019, 06:36:18 AM
Hey VU play these videos on the Union TVs breakfast, lunch and dinner before every home game!!!! Play these videos at the welcome center, at the arc on the BIG SCREEN!!!!!
I woke up, had my coffee.... :coffeetime:
Saw the ValparaiZone video and now I am pumped  :o :o :o :) :) :) going to work!!!!!!!

PLAY THESE VIDIOS!!!!!!!!
That's how you get a crowd to the games!

Although I admire your enthusiasm...winning and bringing in good opponents is what gets people to games.
Fans want to see Loyola...or other teams that have made noise in the tournament
Few are interested in Evansville or some of the other teams we play

VALPO LI

Fair point.  Let me rephrase my comment by stating that's how you get "students" to the games. Perhaps they get a sense of how exciting a game day experience can be and once was by a glimpse on the TV.
Shine on Vu

VULB#62

Quote from: VALPO LI on February 12, 2019, 04:51:34 PM
Fair point.  Let me rephrase my comment by stating that's how you get "students" to the games. Perhaps they get a sense of how exciting a game day experience can be and once was by a glimpse on the TV.

Hardline academics have absolutely no clue. They think intellectual content rules. NO. At the end of the day the measure of a student's experience at Valpo over four years is the people they encounter and the events that mark their presence on campus. It does not happen spontaneously. The excitement has to be drilled into those 18 year-old brains from day one.  This administration needs to drive the idea that these kids are Valpo students who have the exciting privilege of being part of the best Lutheran (or whatever) university on the planet. And part of that is the responsibility is to support our athletic teams, our choral groups, our outreach programs, yada, yada.

AND part of supporting our athletic teams is making it miserable for any opponent who sets foot on our campus, dammit.

govalpogo

I feel relevant to this thread!  The Dickie V bracketbuster and the first win over Butler in umteen years were the highlights of my gameday experiences as a student (07-11).  The Mo State being the less stressful of the two.  Thoroughly enjoyable win that set up for a let down of a finish to a season that has been hard to top in my experience.  Maybe Peters senior year being a close second. 

"Orange shirt kid" is still one of my good friends, we actually spoke earlier this evening.  He is a pastor in Connecticut working on his PhD ::).  We went to the NIT semi final game together a few years back and he single handedly turned all of the casual fans in our section against us.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAi37XXvmi0

wh

VUGrad1314

Diebler... Talk about #Gritty personified... Huff was awesome too.

VUBBFan

Might not be an old cheer, but I'm ready for the

"We are Gritty" chant tonight.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on February 12, 2019, 10:12:31 PM
Lights off during player intros and the student section chanting "Homer!, Homer!, Homer!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGuBguF1Rt0&list=PLBoeUn3Mb5WpTHo-0fGynIacMtqDpeY03&index=39

That is an awesome start to a game at the ARC.  Talk about game day experience!

wh

Quote from: govalpogo on February 12, 2019, 09:29:12 PM
I feel relevant to this thread!  The Dickie V bracketbuster and the first win over Butler in umteen years were the highlights of my gameday experiences as a student (07-11).  The Mo State being the less stressful of the two.  Thoroughly enjoyable win that set up for a let down of a finish to a season that has been hard to top in my experience.  Maybe Peters senior year being a close second. 

"Orange shirt kid" is still one of my good friends, we actually spoke earlier this evening.  He is a pastor in Connecticut working on his PhD ::).  We went to the NIT semi final game together a few years back and he single handedly turned all of the casual fans in our section against us.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAi37XXvmi0

As a longtime adult season ticket holder, you become accustomed to students coming and going. One class leaves, a new class arrives, and after awhile the change seems almost unnoticeable - until "orange shirt kid," that is. He was a professional heckler, the likes of which we had never seen. Taunting, ridiculing, and yelling at opposing players, even when they were on the opposite end of the court. The quieter the moment, the louder he got. Not letting up from beginning to end. I will admit that he took a bit of getting used to. We had never been around someone  so brash. But it didn't take long to get used to it, and then come to appreciate it when we noticed it getting under players' skins. Here's to "orange shirt kid," a great one-of-a-kind fan who left a void when his time came to move on.

VALPO LI

Quote from: govalpogo on February 12, 2019, 09:29:12 PM

I would hate to be the person that misses a Sunday worship at his parish :o lol.....
Shine on Vu

bbtds

One I specifically remember during my time in Valpo was a guy who dressed up like Gene Keady, the Purdue coach before Matt Painter, and mimicked his every move, pacing in front of the Purdue bench, wearing a toupee, grimacing like Keady when he objected to a call, etc. He did this just a few feet from Keady in the corner of the Valpo student section. You could tell that it phased Keady a bit when he first noticed it. It was funny to watch him imitate Keady the whole game especially when Keady would yell at the refs and the fake Keady would yell at "fake" refs in the student section. So hilarious.

That might have been the game that freshman Ali Berdiel dribbled the ball off his foot in the closing seconds of a game Valpo had an excellent chance of winning.

valpo84

bbtds--and then you had to finish the story with the unfortunate dribble off the foot by Ali ??? :'(
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpopal

Another favorite student who added to the game-day atmosphere was a member of the pep band who would step into the aisle and dance to the music of "Gangnam Style" during one of the final timeouts in each game. Everyone looked forward to it and cheered his performance! Speaking of the pep band, one of their best performances was the evening they added an electronic violin, which sounded great!

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on February 13, 2019, 01:43:03 PM
Another favorite student who added to the game-day atmosphere was a member of the pep band who would step into the aisle and dance to the music of "Gangnam Style" during one of the final timeouts in each game. Everyone looked forward to it and cheered his performance! Speaking of the pep band, one of their best performances was the evening they added an electronic violin, which sounded great!

I couldn't find a video of the Pep Band student dancing, but I did find the following. Lots of familiar faces!  :o