• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Should Valpo accept a postseason invite to the CIT or CBI?

Started by VU2014, February 28, 2019, 08:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Valpo accept a postseason invite to the CIT or CBI?

Yes
No
Let's see how Arch Madness plays out

VU2014

Should this team attempt to play in a "postseason" tournament? If you would have asked me before the season started I'd say absolutely, but this team is being held together with duck tape to finish out the season.

I normally don't like the idea of paying to play in these postseason tournaments but I thought it could be a decent idea this season to help give this team some postseason experience. It might help simulate what the preparation would be like for this squad and they could use that for what we hope could be a special 19-20 season. With all the injuries this team has experienced I'm not sure it's a great idea anymore. Also factor in that the fanbase seems pretty dejected with how this season played out.

tiny707

VU2014

Quote from: tiny707 on February 28, 2019, 08:34:40 AM
Yes, but I think you have to have a winning record?

I don't think so. One the tournaments offered Valpo a invite but they declined it last season

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

I'm a yes, but only if it isn't too expensive. I don't know what amount would equal too expensive though.

Valpo2013

Hell no
We have done that  :censored: no name tournament in the past
What a waste of money
What for ?
A couple weeks more of practice?
Stop the bleeding after the MVC tournament

VULB#62

I voted no.  Shut it down.  Take a beep cleansing breath as a program.  Use that money to pay for Matt and his staff to visit selected P-5 (or Pro or even D-III if there is an offensive genius out there) BB programs and pick offensive minded coaches' brains on how to produce more scoring opportunities in the flow of the game.  I know football coaches do that all the time and I imagine BB coaches do that as well.

nkvu

If going to one of these tournaments is supposed to be a reward for a relatively successful season, then no. If it's to get a few more weeks of practice that can jump start a reasonable expectation for a breakout year next year then had we finished say, third through fifth then I would have said yes.  My feeling for what it's worth would be to shut it down once the last game is over and let the kids heal their bodies completely - getting surgeries (if necessary) so they can do the off season work that might help them next year. Some time completely away from basketball might help them get past the psychological drain that losing puts on you as well.

NativeCheesehead

GoldenCrusader87

Well ... idk why we'd be invited? Goes back to college football and the bowl changes they've made - no more 5-7 teams invited if I'm not mistaken. Why have post season (apart from money and I guess another game of experience or so) for teams with sub-500 records? Should be a cut off. Below 500 on the season and no post season invites.

M

I think they get to do one of those foreign trips once every 4 years right?  Should be about time to go again I'd think.

humbleopinion

Quote from: M on February 28, 2019, 12:23:03 PM
I think they get to do one of those foreign trips once every 4 years right?  Should be about time to go again I'd think.
We took a trip to Canada in 2015, so it would be time this fall.
Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 28, 2019, 12:44:25 PM
Yes!  :thumbsup:  Great idea! How the time has flown by.

Wait!  As a precaution they should be required to wear plaster ankle casts, wrist braces, nose and face shields, with brown and gold knee and elbow pads. You just can't be too careful.

justducky

Quote from: humbleopinion on February 28, 2019, 12:44:25 PM

The more I think about this the better I like it. These typically happen in late July???? That could clear some heads, renew optimism, refocus thinking and wash away our Feb-March memories. It could also be a small inducement for fence riders to remain on board or late opening newcomers to sign up.

The confidence level of this team, staff and fanbase is rock bottom but a summer trip could set the stage for a fresh start.

It should be considered. The impact on 19-20 results could be considerable!

VUGrad1314

No to CBI/CIT Yes to foreign tour. Preferably to Canada since we're recruiting some guys up there. I could have seen a benefit to doing the CBI/CIT last year but not this year. This year we just need to be done after the MVC tournament. That's what we need right now. A chance to hit the reset button and refresh.

VU2014

If we can't even beat Evansville at home. I'm not not sure paying to play other teams is a wise idea. Save the resources.

This is the 3rd season in a row that we have been left with a sour taste our mouthes finishing the regular season.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 03, 2019, 11:40:25 AM
If we can't even beat Evansville at home. I'm not not sure paying to play other teams is a wise idea. Save the resources.

This is the 3rd season in a row that we have been left with a sour taste our mouthes finishing the regular season.
Are you also saying no to a foreign trip? Nobody wants a CBI or CIT invite. That isn't even what we are now talking about.

Ok--- I will start a new thread with a new title just as soon as someone can confirm that a summer trip is even a possibility. Until then I will talk about a summer trip on this thread. If that makes me a thread hijacker my plea is guilty.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on March 03, 2019, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on March 03, 2019, 11:40:25 AM

Are you also saying no to a foreign trip? Nobody wants a CBI or CIT invite. That isn't even what we are now talking about.

Ok--- I will start a new thread with a new title just as soon as someone can confirm that a summer trip is even a possibility. Until then I will talk about a summer trip on this thread. If that makes me a thread hijacker my plea is guilty.

Talking about the CBI or CIT. Foreign trip I'm all for.

bbtds

Quote from: tiny707 on February 28, 2019, 08:34:40 AM
Yes, but I think you have to have a winning record?

That would seem to be an intelligent prerequisite but some of the money grubbing P5 conference teams can't even do that so those tournaments grab the P5s with the most fans.

Valpo Joe

NO - NO - NOTurn in the uniforms, go back to class, shoot a ton of Free Throws, watch some video of your losses. DO NOT take a chance by loosing to some no name team. Remember being beat by Div 2 team opening game  :o Protect the VALPO name don't go to ANY post season  >:( 

VU2014

I'm wondering if this is the end of the season. I definitely got the sense that it was.

VUGrad1314

Good. The sooner we turn our attention and focus to the most important season in program history the better. Players and coaches alike need to be watching film and working on their shortcomings daily. Time to get busy. Time to get serious. Time to start winning again.

GoldenCrusader87

Agreed. Time to close the books on this year and move on. In the meantime, let's hope Bradley can keep their mojo going. More wins = more $ for the MVC and its teams. Let's go Braves!