• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Hosts Indiana State Game Thread, Sat., January 18, 2020, 7p

Started by wh, January 17, 2020, 11:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo Joe

Bryce and Alex were excellent for Valpo's program

One of Valpo's best ever and we still can't get his first name correct. The Peters family, which does read this board, must be devastated. ALEC Peters

Sorry I meant BRUCE not Bryce  :rotfl:

bbtds

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 20, 2020, 12:31:46 PM
I want to add that several of the set plays Lottich drew up worked in the second half.  For example, the home run play.  That's 2 easy points in a game decided by 5?  Coaching matters.  X and O's matter.  And Lottich stepped up in the second half for one of the first times I can remember.  If you can do this regularly, he will win me over. 

Oh, no, you didn't?!

valpotx

Quote from: Valpower on January 20, 2020, 10:12:27 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 20, 2020, 08:22:10 AM
Great team win.  This is a deep team and it would be nice to see it at full strength the last 2 weeks going into tourney. 

Again, Krikke is showing very good skill level for a frosh.  His footwork and defensive positioning, and body/arm control on drives have been very good.  It would be nice to see McMillan pick up some of that. Krikke doesn't pick up cheap fouls by swinging arms or trying to block people once they drive past.  Offensively, in the 1st half he was helpful in keeping us in the game when Gordon and Jevon were out.  The offense was moving and passes were being made to the cutters.  All players still need to swing the ball weak side faster, and hit open players faster.  Also, make the entry pass to Morgan or big guys who are posting up (Lost art -- post entry passes).  Noticed the t-shirts said "Do Simple Great."  Wholeheartedly agree!  Make the simple pass.  Execute the cut.  Box out.  Make the layup. 

Also, kudos to Clay for 39 minutes.  Would like to have him play like a 6'8" player -- don't settle for the "off the glass" shot.  Go up strong and dunk the ball.  Make them have to foul you to stop you.  I'm guessing he still has 6'3" habits in the paint, but he is getting to the box and needs to convert at higher rates.  And, Gordon stepping up.  He is going to be a stellar Y league player for decades. 
Good thoughts, 84. The offensive movement seemed improved and the reward was a balanced scoring attack that we haven't seen in some time. While we're talking about about players and their stubborn habits, we'd be remiss in not talking about Sackey, whose absence may partially explain the improved offensive flow.  His speed, which may have served him well in high school, has become his Maslow's hammer (when all you have is a hammer, you tend to see everything as a nail).  He needs to realize that it is not sufficient at the D1 level. Not only are there fast players, but the chances of outrunning even the slower defenders is slim when you are predictable and too out of control to pass or shoot your way out of a premature drive to the basket.

I don't have an astute coaches mind, so I'm not sure what adjustment he needs to (and can) make, but if I continue to see him drive straight into a small gap, at full acceleration and without an apparent outlet, I'll lose faith in him as a point guard. What would you have him do to be less dependent on his speed and reduce his turnovers?

I believe that Buggs paid a visit to Valpo this past summer, and spoke with a few of the players, with Sackey seeming to take the most away from that meeting (Valpo loyalty).  That is a perfect sounding board for Daniel, to get good advice on when to use that speed, and when to slow it up.

For those commenting on Eron Gordon, I know that you are joking in some of those comments, but he will have the opportunity to play overseas.  He has a smooth stroke, and someone will give him a shot with that aspect + his family pedigree.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: bbtds on January 19, 2020, 07:34:01 AM
Interesting. I did not see the game but only listened to Todd's exciting call of the game.

I've listened to Todd's radio call more this season out of necessity (no TV coverage, traveling) than I have in a long time.  He is absolutely fabulous.  Exciting, like you say, raw emotion, almost "willing" 3-pointers to go down at key points.  He's so descriptive that I can feel the drama - almost like I'm there.  And, Brandon (so sorry if I have his name wrong) is amazingly knowledgeable for someone so young.  Very analytical and insightful about the dynamics of the teams and the action on the court.  You can tell he preps and is just plain smart.  Great team.  Actually, outstanding team.

VUBBFan

Just one more video clip from this game if you haven't already seen it. Way to go John!

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1219695548174884867

NativeCheesehead

Yeah the down side of attending most home games and streaming the road games is not hearing Todd much anymore save for some of the replays I watch. He's better on the radio where he can be a pure Valpo announcer as opposed to a little more down the middle for TV. The TV color guy is knowledgable but does suffer a bit from Charles Davis Syndrome, where he feels the need to fill every single empty space with something. I get that on the radio but not so much on TV where we have a picture.

Speaking of announcers, while I hope Johnny B is our PA guy for many years still to come, I really hope we get the Railcats guy who's hosting the games now to take over when he's done. Pure energy and a voice that sounds great even on our awful sound system.

humbleopinion

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 22, 2020, 03:29:16 PMYeah the down side of attending most home games and streaming the road games is not hearing Todd much anymore
I always listen to Todd while watching the stream live.  It sometimes takes a little time to sync the video with the tune-in stream, but the effort is well worth it.
Beamin' Beacons

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 22, 2020, 05:37:11 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 22, 2020, 03:29:16 PMYeah the down side of attending most home games and streaming the road games is not hearing Todd much anymore
I always listen to Todd while watching the stream live.  It sometimes takes a little time to sync the video with the tune-in stream, but the effort is well worth it.

I do the same!  He's worth the listen.  Sometimes I prefer the home games when he gets relegated to the radio.  Maybe it's just me, but his tv partner is not my favorite.

4throwfan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 22, 2020, 05:54:39 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 22, 2020, 05:37:11 PM

I do the same!  He's worth the listen.  Sometimes I prefer the home games when he gets relegated to the radio.  Maybe it's just me, but his tv partner is not my favorite.

I REALLY enjoy Todd.  I think he does a great job.

However, I do want to give kudos to the students.  While they're understandably not at Todd's level, I think they do a good job.  Note that I attend the home games, so I only hear them in the post-games.  I think that what drives my admiration of the students is that I compare to myself when I was in undergrad - I never would have contemplated doing anything like that.

I'm glad that they get the opportunity.  Hopefully, it will help them after they graduate. 

Valpower

Maybe it's me, but Dave Huseman (if that's the partner you're talking about) reminds me a little of Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpower on January 22, 2020, 07:15:23 PM
Maybe it's me, but Dave Huseman (if that's the partner you're talking about) reminds me a little of Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

Dead ringer!!!

VUBBFan

Quote from: Valpower on January 22, 2020, 07:15:23 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 22, 2020, 05:54:39 PMI do the same!  He's worth the listen.  Sometimes I prefer the home games when he gets relegated to the radio.  Maybe it's just me, but his tv partner is not my favorite.

With the exception  of him not saying "Ya B*tch" every other sentence.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUBBFan on January 22, 2020, 03:17:05 PMJust one more video clip from this game if you haven't already seen it. Way to go John! https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1219695548174884867

THAT is the embodiment of the kind of team we want and need to be! I hope we all appreciate John while we have him and the effort energy and leadership he brings. May he have a lasting effect on this team even after he's gone! We're going to miss him (and this is coming from someone who struggled to see his value for a long time). Go John! Go Valpo!

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 22, 2020, 03:29:16 PM
Speaking of announcers, while I hope Johnny B is our PA guy for many years still to come, I really hope we get the Railcats guy who's hosting the games now to take over when he's done. Pure energy and a voice that sounds great even on our awful sound system.

I have one minor complaint about the Railcats guy. He needs to stop opening every segment with "Crusader Nation." He could use "Valpo Fans" or "Crusader Fans."

wh

Quote from: bbtds on January 23, 2020, 09:18:19 AM

I have one minor complaint about the Railcats guy. He needs to stop opening every segment with "Crusader Nation." He could use "Valpo Fans" or "Crusader Fans."

I guess I'm fine with any of the 3 you mentioned.  Not saying you're right or wrong, but what is it about Crusader Nation you don't like?

valpo64

While I love his enthusiasm, with our bad system he makes it even worse with his shouting.  He needs to adjust his strong voice with our lousy system...maybe back off a little?  In any event,  he is a big improvement and it looks like the students enjoy him.  It is always good to see the students respond better this season, both in numbers and enthusiasm.

Valpower

Quote from: wh on January 23, 2020, 09:55:04 AMI guess I'm fine with any of the 3 you mentioned.  Not saying you're right or wrong, but what is it about Crusader Nation you don't like?
I will say that it has a kind of silly tribal connotation that's a bit overblown.

valpo84

Quote from: Valpower on January 23, 2020, 03:02:22 PM
Quote from: wh on January 23, 2020, 09:55:04 AMI guess I'm fine with any of the 3 you mentioned.  Not saying you're right or wrong, but what is it about Crusader Nation you don't like?
I will say that it has a kind of silly tribal connotation that's a bit overblown.

#rollsaders
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: wh on January 23, 2020, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: bbtds on January 23, 2020, 09:18:19 AM

I guess I'm fine with any of the 3 you mentioned.  Not saying you're right or wrong, but what is it about Crusader Nation you don't like?

Just the repetitiveness of it. Needs 3 or 4 openings so it doesn't sound so plastic after a while.