• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Coastal Carolina 11/23 @ 7:00pm CST on Flo Hoops

Started by VUSWIM08-12, November 23, 2021, 01:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Two in a row? Seems like everyone from last night should be playing tonight. I look for big games from Sheldon and Kithier as I am sure they'll try to bottle up Krikke. Valpo at -4

Valpo 72
Coastal 65

IndyEIT777

Looks like Coastal's best player is a 6'-9" center so this should be a great matchup for Kithier/Krikke. I do think Kithier bounces back tonight and goes for a double-double. I'd be surprised if Krikke comes close to matching what he did last night.

We've got to start hitting some of our open 3s. No one so far with the exception of Connor last night has been a reliable 3 point shooter so far. I hope we really try to pound the ball inside tonight to a) hopefully get their top guy in foul trouble and b) to open up some more wide open looks.

Valpo 75
Coastal Carolina 72 

wh

A win tonight and a rematch win over Toledo would quickly put those early losses in the rear view mirror. My biggest concern about CC tonight is they'll have fresh legs; we won't. We'll see how that plays out later in the game.

bb33

CC didn't get a practice yesterday due to the leak so that could benefit us. 

I also think you get your tournament jitters out after the first game.  We are only playing three games. These kids are young. They should be fine. 

Go Valpo!! Let's do this.

wh

Just Sayin

Games to Date - Both Teams Compared

Our offensive efficiency is better
Our defensive efficiency is slightly better
Our effective FG% is much better
We have fewer turnovers
They get to the free throw line better
We shoot the 2s, 3s, and FTs much better
We block more shots slightly better
We steal the ball better
They kill us in offensive rebounds.
They shoot fewer three point shots than we do.

vu84v2

Good matchup. CC was a CBI finalist last year and was 9-5 in the Sun Belt (18-8 overall). If Valpo plays well, they win - but they need to play well.

valpotx

I would love to win, and have Tulane pull this one out.  Reunite Valpo and Ron Hunter/Ray McCallum Sr. in the championship.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VALPO LI

Valpo wins tonight we have a turkey eve dinner date with the Rockets!!!!!
Let's win this one Beacons!!!!!
Shine on Vu

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on November 23, 2021, 06:34:29 PM
I would love to win, and have Tulane pull this one out.  Reunite Valpo and Ron Hunter/Ray McCallum Sr. in the championship.

That would be interesting. Hard to picture McCallum as an assistant. I wonder how far those two go back?

wh

tjjvalpo

tjjvalpo

Kithier 7 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists in the first half. Nice!

nkvu

Another game we could have/should have won slips away. This is getting old.

justducky

valpotx

The result is what it is, but it still drives me crazy when I see D-1 basketball players soft lob a pass directly to the defenders.  I saw that at least twice, and we also dribbled it off our own leg/foot twice in critical scenarios.  Those were 4 possessions just gifted to Coastal Carolina, for them to get back into the game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSWIM08-12

Coastal was not good , they played herky jerky 1 on 1 basketball and Matt couldn't figure it out lol. 300k a year for what ? Recruiting ?

Jordan

Sad coaching in the 2H. No adjustments to be found. Pathetic management of the last 30s. Lottich out coached by some guy at Coastal Carolina.

The lack of a hand up on the game winner by Coastal? That stuff just cant happen.

valpotx

Quote from: Jordan on November 23, 2021, 08:54:36 PM
Sad coaching in the 2H. No adjustments to be found. Pathetic management of the last 30s. Lottich out coached by some guy at Coastal Carolina.

I can't tell if you are joking, but that 'some guy' is Cliff Ellis, who just got his 800th win, and was the AP Coach of the Year in 1999 with Auburn, a 2x ACC Coach of the Year at Clemson, and 2x SEC Coach of the Year at Auburn.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Jordan

Joking. I know who Cliff Ellis is. But his team does stink this year.

IndyEIT777

Why are we still jacking up 40 3s a game??? We are not a shooting team!!!

Why do we not know how to pass a ball properly and are dribbling off our feet??? That's middle school stuff.

How are we missing so many layups??? Short answer to all, bad coaching!!!

valpolaw

Door Matt should be embarrassed but I guess we're used to losing by now. Coastal isn't good

valpopal

Valpo played a weak team ranked 248 who shot poorly tonight (38.6% on 2-point baskets, 21.1% on 3-point baskets, and 50% from the free throw line). You couldn't ask for more. Yet, VU could not pull out a win. Just sad.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

Tough to win when give up 15 offensive rebounds and they take 13 more shots.

Someone posted the kenpom rankings these last six seasons vice the previous six seasons. I don't think I want to look up the rebounding and turnover numbers from these years.

At least when Homer was losing games his first four years, the Tom Smith bar was still in reach, and he had the Lutheran Miracle that first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk