• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We have a coach! Roger Powell Jr

Started by vok22, April 07, 2023, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vok22

Numerous verified sources are now tweeting that Roger and Valpo have agreed on terms to be the next coach.

VUBBFan

vok22

I think this is the most excited I have been for VU basketball since 2016, save for 3 days in March of 2020. Mark Few coaching tree has been successful lately with Tommy Lloyd and Leon Rice. Obviously the history with Valpo and the Drews is a huge plus as well.

Just Sayin

VALPO LI

A new era in Valpo history was made today!!!
I love it!
Let's embrace it!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Shine on Vu

Valpo89

I'm not going to believe it until PO (or the school) announces, and you guys shouldn't either.

crusader05

Paul's article is out but it says MBB hasn't confirmed although I don't think he would have published it if it wasn't a sure thing

VALPO LI

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 07, 2023, 10:58:06 AM
I'm not going to believe it until PO (or the school) announces, and you guys shouldn't either.

Ummm check your in box my friend.  The Victory Bell announced it :)
Shine on Vu

Just Sayin

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 07, 2023, 10:58:06 AM

:rotfl:

valpopal

It took a couple days (some would say seven years) longer than expected, but I am pleased the confirmation is now out there. Roger Powell fulfills both streams of thought about selecting a new head coach: some wanted an individual with a Valpo background and others wanted a person who has been part of success at a solid respected program. With his VU credentials and his Gonzaga experience, Powell fits both. Additionally, as mentioned many times on this board by others, Powell displays great character and gravitas. Moreover, his nickname as the "Rev" has been well earned. I remember clearly when he led the entire ARC crowd in prayer at the end of a momentous Valpo victory. He is an excellent spokesperson and a figure who will be highly regarded by recruits for his personality and his background as an elite player, who will attract them to Valparaiso and motivate them when they get here. Congratulations to AD Small on this hire!

usc4valpo

Outstanding, this is as positive as it could be predicted. Now there's  a lot of fun work ahead...

wh

Quote from: VALPO LI on April 07, 2023, 10:57:15 AM
A new era in Valpo history was made today!!!
I love it!
Let's embrace it!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

This x 1000!!!!!!!!!!

valpopal

[tweet]1642667580639916032[/tweet]

JD24

Hope I'm also saying this in a few years but this is the best possible scenario from my perspective.

AlaskaCrusader19

Very good hire by Small and company. Nothing is guaranteed, but this gives fans something to be excited about. Let's go!

covufan

Good hire. Will remain to be seen if it is a great hire. He'll be busy for the next week - hiring a staff and recruiting. Wish him and his family well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cornonthe

Very happy right now!!! Worst kept secret over the last day...muddled by the Chris Lowrey lie...did I mention how happy I am?!?

elephtheria47

Grand slam hire!

Im very happy that we hired a really good/qualified candidate that makes the buyout and all the bullsh*t worthwhile.

may know

Very happy with this hire. I did not expect Powell to be a realistic hire, since he was rumored to turn it down in 2016. This was the best case scenario realistically possible. Excellent job by Small.

Chairback

Can I pay for my season tickets today?

I'm serious! 

vu72

LOVE IT!!!  Just in time for the annual day of giving!  I would expect contributions to make a quantum leap forward!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

mj

This is a great day for Valpo basketball and the university.
I believe that we will win.

Just Sayin

Quote from: cornonthe on April 07, 2023, 11:30:31 AM
Very happy right now!!! Worst kept secret over the last day...muddled by the Chris Lowrey lie...did I mention how happy I am?!?

I was not a fan of Lowry to say the least. But we don't really know if he was considered, he may have been. Tough to prove it was a lie.