• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Merchandise

Started by tiny707, April 20, 2023, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

When is Valpo going to capitalize on this excitement and get some fun merchandise out there? I am ready. REV t-shirts, bobble heads, etc.

FWalum

Matt Painter has the "Paint Crew" student section... Roger Powell needs the "Rev's Rowdies"
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

tiny707

craftyrighthander

Great idea.  But remember, our dominant color is brown.  That says enough about marketing B-Ball.  Hopefully, Roger's hire moves Valpo to better marketing schemes.

valpo64

Now The Rev" can have his own congregation.

vufan75

Quote from: FWalum on April 20, 2023, 03:05:11 PM
Matt Painter has the "Paint Crew" student section... Roger Powell needs the "Rev's Rowdies"
Love it!! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

valpolaw

We need to switch to a black/gold or yellow/black and do away with the 1970s colors. The merchandise would look so much better and would be appealing to the younger crowds. We need more modern looking merchandise. 

valpo64

If we switched colors we would have to get some new dogs.  I wonder what the Rev thinks about our new name and stupid mascots?   Maybe we should have some therapy dogs instead.  Then both before games and at half-time fans could spend a little time with them while during the game the dogs would be relegated to our Bench area for players and Coaches.

JBC1824

Quote from: valpolaw on April 21, 2023, 07:12:18 AM
We need to switch to a black/gold or yellow/black and do away with the 1970s colors. The merchandise would look so much better and would be appealing to the younger crowds. We need more modern looking merchandise. 

:thumbsup:
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

NativeCheesehead

Agreed on the color scheme.

And thanks, JBC, for having to attempt to explain to my 10 year old why you have a picture of Lebron James being sodomized as your profile picture. Stay classy, Valparaiso.

VULB#62

Mascots and nickname aside, I agree that merch should be upgraded but disagree on any color change. 

Brown and gold are pretty distinctive in the college world. There are only a handful of schools (among them at the D-I level are only Valpo, Western Michigan and Wyoming). I'd rather Valpo be distinctive rather than just like everybody else using more common color combos. Be reasonable, the difference between black, dark maroon (which are so commonplace) and dark brown is almost indistinguishable, yet brown is still unique. 

JBC1824

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 21, 2023, 09:18:02 AM
Agreed on the color scheme.

And thanks, JBC, for having to attempt to explain to my 10 year old why you have a picture of Lebron James being sodomized as your profile picture. Stay classy, Valparaiso.

Not an expert, but generally speaking I would not suggest explaining sodomy to a ten year old. But to each his own.
Lazing around in the shadow of bombs

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 21, 2023, 09:37:11 AM
Mascots and nickname aside, I agree that merch should be upgraded but disagree on any color change. 

Brown and gold are pretty distinctive in the college world. There are only a handful of schools (among them at the D-I level are only Valpo, Western Michigan and Wyoming). I'd rather Valpo be distinctive rather than just like everybody else using more common color combos. Be reasonable, the difference between black, dark maroon (which are so commonplace) and dark brown is almost indistinguishable, yet brown is still unique.

One more thought. Walking along Michigan Ave before a game or under the Arch in St. Louis in March, or in Orlando for an early season tournament, you can't but be identified as Valpo.  Who else could it be?  We're only one of three D-I brown and gold teams in the nation.

tiny707

Whatever the colors are we need new and exciting merchandise. New coach/new merchandise. It is boring. A quick Google and yawn. Rev's Rowdies merch or some of his quotes on a shirt.

talksalot

Maybe the VuCrew should be renamed The Congregation

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on April 22, 2023, 07:58:47 AM
Maybe the VuCrew should be renamed The Congregation

The Beam of Light?

The Brightness in the Darkness?

The Lighthouse Gang?

The Piercing Bulbs?

The Sunshine Gang?

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

craftyrighthander

I understand that brown is probably here to stay.  I still vote that gold should be the dominant color.  Looks better on TV (yes that's important) and in the arena. 

Chairback

I hope we ditch the cursive Valparaiso jerseys and go back to just having VALPO on them.  Start fresh for the Powell era. 

VALPO LI

Quote from: craftyrighthander on April 23, 2023, 05:58:33 PM
I understand that brown is probably here to stay.  I still vote that gold should be the dominant color.  Looks better on TV (yes that's important) and in the arena. 
Your 100% right.  Brown gets lost while Gold is vibrant and distinctly stands out.  What's more vivid, a brown out or a rush of gold?   Pittsburgh's Terrible Towels are a perfect example of the power of Gold.
Shine on Vu

chgovalpofan

I would say there is a reason only three teams have brown and gold. I was watching softball on Sunday and the brown looks awful. The UPS reference is completely justifiable.    I do however love the gold.

vu72

Quote from: chgovalpofan on April 24, 2023, 03:18:32 PM
I would say there is a reason only three teams have brown and gold. I was watching softball on Sunday and the brown looks awful. The UPS reference is completely justifiable.    I do however love the gold.

Totally disagree. The Brown looks great and distinctive.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

And I might add, if you are using our flagship sport as a barometer, check out the ARC floor and the bulk of our BB  unis — brown is more the accent color than the primary color, and it looks great!  MOST (but not FB or BSB)  team unis are white or gold with brown trim or accents. In truth Valpo colors ARE gold and brown. Everyone lists them in the brown and gold order, but that's because of habit and B comes before G in the freakin alphabet.

tiny707

The Rev sporting the new Beacon Up shirt on Twitter. Looks good. About time. Let's go!

Dr. T

If anyone can make the Brown & Gold color scheme look good, it's Roger Powell. The man has some serious style! As shown by his social media posts, there's no denying he will bring a different vibe to the program. I've said it before and will say it again - this is BY FAR the most excited I've been about Valpo Basketball in ~7-10 years.