• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #13 @ Elon Phoenix 12/29

Started by talksalot, December 26, 2023, 01:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

This team keeps showing up even though their current record looks bad. Consistency compounds...if we keep growing like we are we will eventually have a great basketball team. We need more pieces but the ones we have are showing a bright future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VULB#62

Quote from: truth219 on December 29, 2023, 03:09:43 PM
This team keeps showing up even though their current record looks bad. Consistency compounds...if we keep growing like we are we will eventually have a great basketball team. We need more pieces but the ones we have are showing a bright future.

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on December 29, 2023, 03:05:07 PM
2025-2026 could be special if Cooper, Kaspar, Jahari stick around. 3 building blocks for Roger to build around , frustrating now but long term we'll be alright...in theory!

Quote from: vu72 on December 29, 2023, 03:00:00 PM
Hate to take positives in another loss, but think about this:  68 of 78 points were scored by freshman and sophomores, seniors scores zero and true freshman contributed 51 of 78.  We are so short handed, the guys played their asses off.

And in the final minutes when the game was on the line, GameTracker showed 3 freshmen, a soph and Darius as the closers on the floor.

VULB#62

Per PO in TVB, upbeat and confident post-game presser from Roger.  According to Roger, the staff are gonna pound the transfer portal going after some "dudes" to complement the underclass core.  :thumbsup:  :cheers:.

justducky

The process is slow and uneven but we seem to be inching our way along!

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 29, 2023, 05:27:31 PMAccording to Roger, the staff are gonna pound the transfer portal going after some "dudes" to complement the underclass core.

Upcoming conference play should be entertaining and I'm already getting excited about the 24-25 season.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 29, 2023, 05:27:31 PMPer PO in TVB, upbeat and confident post-game presser from Roger.  According to Roger, the staff are gonna pound the transfer portal going after some "dudes" to complement the underclass core.  :thumbsup:  :cheers:.
The staff should realize what is painfully obvious in the giant holes in the roster right now. How many are legit Div I players? Not sure but it's not as many as necessary. The question from the opposite point of view is how many are on the roster and possibly receiving playing time are not Div I players to any great degree? That number can be answered simply as "too many".

Hitting the portal is great but my concern is more hanging on to the players who may be contributors...and in some cases such as Schwieger and Williamson....major contributors. I can just as easily see them leaving as I can see other players joining.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on December 30, 2023, 09:57:25 AMHitting the portal is great but my concern is more hanging on to the players who may be contributors...and in some cases such as Schwieger and Williamson....major contributors. I can just as easily see them leaving as I can see other players joining.

Unfortunately, that's the world we live in at the moment. Verbal Commits tells us that a record 1834 players entered the portal for 2023.  There are what? 365 D1 schools or so?, that's about 5 per school!  Heck, there are already 12 in the 2024 portal!
Roger is doing all he can do given that fact that Valpo isn't able to offer a Ben Krikke type, 140k to come play for him. Based on what he has told us, he is trying to first, attract the kind of kid who is loyal or wants to be in an environment where the concept of "team" is important.  It's a tough assignment to be sure.

It appears that Connor and Jerome are done after this season.  Based on playing time and style, my guess is that perhaps two more will hit the portal. Who leaves?  Good question.  If so,  we'll have four spots to fill.  Given the presumed availability of Scroggins and Manyang, we'll already be adding two big bodies to the rotation next year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

mj

It's inevitable that players will leave the program considering the current transfer rules.

But have to avoid a mass exodus. And we need to retain the core (Schweiger, Williamson, Sepp). If Coach Powell is as good as we think he is, then hopefully we avoid the transfer bug (unlike previous coaches)
I believe that we will win.

Bumbo

Darius had only one turnover in the final 19 minutes of the game and for the two minutes in the first half when he sat and Jahari ran the point we turned it over three times in a row without getting a shot off. Darius helped key the rally finding good shots for others and scoring himself but it's tough for anyone to play 35-38 minutes per game, be the primary ball handler and decision maker on virtually every possession and defend the point. Unfortunately it appears Rev has no other options at the point. Darius certainly could be a better finisher but he's been more assertive calling his own number lately and the results are coming albeit maybe not as fast as we would like but coming. There are other reasons why we are not winning. On another note, I think our shot selection and sharing of the ball is improving and it may be because Stafford was out with an injury. Weatherspoon and sometimes Edwards can struggle with shot selection and time and score decisions. I have faith in Rev.

justducky

Quote from: Bumbo on December 31, 2023, 03:25:10 AM
Darius had only one turnover in the final 19 minutes of the game and for the two minutes in the first half when he sat and Jahari ran the point we turned it over three times in a row without getting a shot off. Darius helped key the rally finding good shots for others and scoring himself but it's tough for anyone to play 35-38 minutes per game, be the primary ball handler and decision maker on virtually every possession and defend the point. Unfortunately it appears Rev has no other options at the point. Darius certainly could be a better finisher but he's been more assertive calling his own number lately and the results are coming albeit maybe not as fast as we would like but coming. There are other reasons why we are not winning. On another note, I think our shot selection and sharing of the ball is improving and it may be because Stafford was out with an injury. Weatherspoon and sometimes Edwards can struggle with shot selection and time and score decisions. I have faith in Rev.

Deaveiro easily leads the team in minutes played with 432. 73 assists vs 36 TO's is still a solid ratio especially considering he is point captain of a fast paced and frequently pressed offense which features no recognizable inside threats and weak outside shooting to boot. I am really looking forward to his senior year of directing a more broadly talented and mature group as he simultaneously teaches Justus McNair the ropes and pitfalls of MVC point play.

Roundabout I think I just said that Darius will be the one senior who I don't want to lose and despite his slow development I'll give a belated thanks to Matt and his bunch for signing him.  :thumbsup:  WOW!  :o I never thought I would say that.

JD24

Darius has been a lot better than he was last season and earlier this season in calling his own number often enough to be effective. His game is negated a bit by a roster without a lot of shot makers.

justducky

Quote from: JD24 on December 31, 2023, 01:35:18 PMHis game is negated a bit by a roster without a lot of shot makers.

BIG understatement! Huge! I doubt that we will fully appreciate his improvements until our 24-25 team takes the floor in November.

David81

It's a testament to the coaching staff that they assembled such a promising group of underclassmen after getting into the recruiting season so late. I'm betting that more than a few solid mid-majors would now happily trade their top recruits for the best freshmen and sophomores on the VU roster.

The portal will tell us a lot about Coach Powell and his ability to buck the realities of transfer decisions for mid-majors. Now and going into conference play, not April or May, determines whether the coaching and mentoring relationships that he builds with these promising young players are sufficiently strong and meaningful that they believe in this program and want to stay -- even in the face of these tough losses.

Bumbo

I agree that late recruiting helped but it is super obvious that the Rev has his players much more prepared to play - the scouts are much better and everyone gives max effort. They look like they are prepared and being coached unlike last year when with better talent it was a dogs breakfast most nights. Coach is also running more ball screen actions which play into our pgs strengths. Last season there was zero rhythm on offense as everything seemed to go through Ben.  It is obvious that this coach is much more technical and a better motivator than the previous guy.

usc4valpo

I predict Valpo win win at least 3 more games this year based on overall improvement.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 02, 2024, 06:22:42 PM
I predict Valpo win win at least 3 more games this year based on overall improvement.

They keep fighting and many of the losses are oh-so-close. I'm tripling down on my prediction that so long as the key group remains relatively healthy, we'll see some of those close losses turn into wins as the conference season winds down, with the Baby Beacs primed to win at least a game or two in Arch Madness. And hopefully it will give the talented young players a taste of what this team can become, maybe starting as early as next year.

valpotx

As much as I like Cooper and Jahari's potential, I am just as excited about Sepp.  He harkens back to a lot of our slightly undersized big men players, such as Urule Igbavboa, Dan Oppland and KVW.  He will develop more of a scoring game, so can't be a direct comparison to Oppland at this time, but I absolutely love how composed he is at this point in his career.  He is a very calming presence, and doesn't panic when at the top of the key as the back-and-forth passing goes on.  He isn't the fastest guy, but seems to keep up well on defense, and is in the right place for rebounding in bulk.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

David81 - nice, but you are drinking too much brown and gold koolaid. They won't win a game in the MVC tourney.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 03, 2024, 09:42:36 AM
David81 - nice, but you are drinking too much brown and gold koolaid. They won't win a game in the MVC tourney.
The way we've played the last seven games we'll be lucky to win two games. If we can get back to the GB to Drake stretch, and improve as the season progresses, we have a chance to be competitive in home games and some on road. As 12th seed, we'd be playing Missouri St, Northern Iowa or Bradley. Play a great game and we could win one in Arch Madness. Very unlikely, though.

I thought we'd be more competitive in MVC play by now. Tough few months ahead for the fans.

David81

Quote from: covufan on January 04, 2024, 12:00:55 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on January 03, 2024, 09:42:36 AM
The way we've played the last seven games we'll be lucky to win two games. If we can get back to the GB to Drake stretch, and improve as the season progresses, we have a chance to be competitive in home games and some on road. As 12th seed, we'd be playing Missouri St, Northern Iowa or Bradley. Play a great game and we could win one in Arch Madness. Very unlikely, though.

I thought we'd be more competitive in MVC play by now. Tough few months ahead for the fans.

Aww heck, I may as well Quadruple Down on my prediction that Valpo will pick things up at the end of the season and enter Arch Madness with a chance to win a game or two.

I'm not going to wager a Greek's pizza on it (I'm not that foolish), but I still think the potential is there. A season can go in distinct chapters, and we saw evidence of the talent on the roster before this losing streak hit. Let's see if Coach Powell can get these guys to harken back to the kind of play that was so tantalizing at the beginning of the schedule.