• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #18, MVC #7, At Evansville 7pm Wednesday The Streak Continuum

Started by talksalot, January 14, 2024, 07:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

Quote from: 78crusader on January 16, 2024, 10:49:43 AM'm curious whether anyone else on this board attended the VU/Evansville game on January 8, 1966 - VU beat #1-ranked Evansville 83-73, ending UE's 25 game winning streak. I suppose anyone who did, and who can remember the game, would have to be close to my age (67).

It is hard to describe the atmosphere - Hilltop was completely jammed. There was even an extra set of bleachers set up along the south side. You could not find a seat anywhere. I sat in the second row from the top of the bleachers and they were shaking from the students down below who were swaying back and forth with arms held high in the final seconds as they chanted "Ding Dong! Ding Dong!" My brother was scared the bleachers would collapse. I was too.

At that time UE wore long satin warm up robes when they came out on the court (not sure what else to call them; sort of like what a boxer would wear when he enters the ring). They were different colors  - some were purple, some were blue - as well as orange, red, and white ones. Their attire was fitting, I suppose, since they were the kings of small college basketball, having won several national championships.

Tom Smith and Dick Jones were superb in that game.

When the game ended the UE players stood around for a few seconds as if they could not believe they lost.

My brother, dad and I did not miss a game at Hilltop for 10 years. I'm kinda proud of that. We saw some good ballgames, I can tell you that.

I was 10 years old and it was an unforgettable experience. I have been to several thrilling athletic events in my life, but nothing as memorable as this game.

Paul

I'm sure I was at the game -- I remember the robes, and I remember the temporary stands, but other than that I have no specific memories of the game.  That entire era was an exciting time for Valpo basketball.  The Hilltop stands were full (maybe not all the way up to the top of "Gym 2" stands) and the environment was electric. 
Beamin' Beacons

johnu1

Conflating games from 50 years ago -- nah, nobody does that! Actually there are games that were so memorable to me that I could literally write down every moment that mattered. Then somebody would ask me about it and I'd look it up only to say, "I was certain that Roberts pitched that game. He wasn't even on the team until 3 years later."

As an aside, I am told that the game is Sensory Awareness Night, a science-based social statement that will make the intros much quieter. Not sure how anyone gets much awareness from that but I get the point. Either way, it's not likely to have an effect on you if ESPN+ is your window.

I am just glad you folks haven't booted this old UE grad off your forum. 

justducky

Quote from: johnu1 on January 17, 2024, 09:25:19 AMI am just glad you folks haven't booted this old UE grad off your forum.

If we get boot stomped tonight all of us might DEMAND your removal! 

Thinking back I believe I did see a game during those Sloan, Humes years but it was at Saint Joe. Dad thought the Pumas could keep it close and I think it was close for the first 6 or 7 minutes.

vu72

So speaking of games from 50+ years ago, as a student I definitely recall the Evansville game at Hilltop from the 68-69 season. Those were the Bruce Lindner days. We had already beaten them at Evansville and had a one point lead with seconds to go...and then, one of their players caught the inbound pass at today would have been well past the 3 point line, turns and heaved it at the basket...well, we lost by 1.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2024, 12:52:18 AM
Quote from: JD24 on January 16, 2024, 09:04:12 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 16, 2024, 01:40:08 PMI am glad that I am not the only one who has noticed how little most players follow their shots nowadays.  It irks the hell out of me to see our jump shooters immediately start the opposite direction of our basket after the ball leaves their hands, as if their job is done.  This is all while the ball eventually lands about 2 feet from where they were previously standing.
The player is doing his job. The proliferation of 3 point shooting means many long rebounds. Long rebounds lead to run outs for the opponent. The 3 point shooter, assuming it's not from the corner, is often the first line of defense vs. a runout and his responsibility is to stop the ball if he can get into position to do so. Shots that get followed are typically 15 feet and in.
The jump shots that I am speaking about, are still within the 3 point line.  They start fading away without any attempt at rebounding the area near where they shot.  These are often still within the 15 feet that you are speaking about.
The way the game is played today at all levels, that's about 3-4 shots a game.  ;D

78crusader

One more memory from a VU/Evansville game from long ago.

I was a senior in high school in 1974, and VU was playing Evansville at Hilltop, and at one point in the second half we had a 15 point lead. Although I don't recall this specifically, I think I remember that Evansville had a really good team that year and was ranked very highly.

Anyway, sure enough Evansville stormed back and won the game, 74–73. The Evansville players gathered on the court after the game for a couple of minutes, pounding each other on the back because they could not believe they rallied to win a game that seemed all but lost.

Because the Evansville players lingered on the court after the final buzzer, I actually happened to walk out of the gym with the starting UE center right beside me. I turned him and said "you guys were lucky to win tonight" and he replied, "absolutely."

We had a lot of really close games over the years with Evansville, it seems.

Paul

johnu1

The guy who made the shot in 1969 was Dave Weeks. I remember it being a boring night on campus and a bunch of us went to the airport to greet the team after they got home. There are other stories connected to this but the Aces were a so-so team and that win gave them either the ICC title or a tie. We were thinking the NCAA would give them a "bid" to the tournament, but they didn't. Good grief, why do I remember this stuff????

johnu1

My first visit to the ARC (looked it up, 1987) when Marty Simmons was playing for Evansville. I had no idea what Valpo brought to the table but they literally curb-stomped the Aces by 20-some points. (80-58). A Valpo guard -- I think his name was Mike Jones -- nailed about 6 shots from out in left field.
Aces at the time were overall doing pretty well in the Jim Crews years. 

vu72

Evansville favored by 6.5, the over/under is 141.5 as of 2 hours ago!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 17, 2024, 08:51:25 AM
Quote from: 78crusader on January 16, 2024, 10:49:43 AM'm curious whether anyone else on this board attended the VU/Evansville game on January 8, 1966 - VU beat #1-ranked Evansville 83-73, ending UE's 25 game winning streak. I suppose anyone who did, and who can remember the game, would have to be close to my age (67).

It is hard to describe the atmosphere - Hilltop was completely jammed. There was even an extra set of bleachers set up along the south side. You could not find a seat anywhere. I sat in the second row from the top of the bleachers and they were shaking from the students down below who were swaying back and forth with arms held high in the final seconds as they chanted "Ding Dong! Ding Dong!" My brother was scared the bleachers would collapse. I was too.

At that time UE wore long satin warm up robes when they came out on the court (not sure what else to call them; sort of like what a boxer would wear when he enters the ring). They were different colors  - some were purple, some were blue - as well as orange, red, and white ones. Their attire was fitting, I suppose, since they were the kings of small college basketball, having won several national championships.

Tom Smith and Dick Jones were superb in that game.

When the game ended the UE players stood around for a few seconds as if they could not believe they lost.

My brother, dad and I did not miss a game at Hilltop for 10 years. I'm kinda proud of that. We saw some good ballgames, I can tell you that.

I was 10 years old and it was an unforgettable experience. I have been to several thrilling athletic events in my life, but nothing as memorable as this game.

Paul

I'm sure I was at the game -- I remember the robes, and I remember the temporary stands, but other than that I have no specific memories of the game.  That entire era was an exciting time for Valpo basketball.  The Hilltop stands were full (maybe not all the way up to the top of "Gym 2" stands) and the environment was electric. 

The stands were full clear up to and including the top row of the gym 2 stands. My evidence? I was sitting in the second row from the top and had to squeeze in to get that seat.

SPEEDYPITCHER37

Humrichous is a seriously good player. Without him though, I think Evansville loses this game.

Valpo 73
"The team that wore the sleeves" - George W. Bush 68

tiny707

JohnU1, yeah Harry Bell was the man with that '87 team. Played in Hungary for a vey long time. I think he still lives there. Really wish PO would do an article on him
Dick Jones someday. Jim Ford was also
Pretty good from that team. ARC was fairly new back then.

NativeCheesehead

WHY IN THE NAME OF JAMES NAISMITH IS THE SHOT CLOCK NOT ON THE SCORE BUG? Fix your sh$t E-Ville!

vu72

Evansville is HUGE!  They are way bigger than us.  Great first half, very entertaining.  Williamson WILL be a star for us if we can keep him.

VUSWIM08-12

Wow. Stafford playing at potential , we've got a chance ! Darius n Cooper playing decent, tied at 59 with 9:46 to go !!!

HawaiianBroekhoff

Anyone else being tortured by the same ESPN ad over and over?

johnu1

I think both teams should be charged with a loss in this one.

AB

Game effort, can't fault the effort. Team playing more connected than last year on both sides. Short bench/8 man rotation. Three things added up to a loss: Evansville's length, not stepping out/contesting three's enough, and a few careless turnovers/empty posesesions.  Schweiger did a good job of letting the game come to him and not rushing things in the second half. Sepp is such an intelligent player with position defense, and tip outs. Dude lacks a lot athleticism but a smart player, with no offensive game.  Credit to Stafford, excellent game, but who thinks Evansville played good defense on him? Aces and Valpo are pretty equal teams. I hope this effort carries over to Saturday for a very winnable game against UIC.

justducky

Quote from: HawaiianBroekhoff on January 17, 2024, 08:36:58 PM
Anyone else being tortured by the same ESPN ad over and over?

Annoying but worse yet was that I lost ESPN with about 7 minutes left.

Valpo went with experience tonight. Only 86 freshman minutes played in comparison with the 105 at ISU red. 45 minutes played by the sophmores, 69 by the 2 juniors and none of the 3 seniors took the floor.

valpotx

I like Edwards overall, but he needs to be held to one 3 point shot each game.  If he makes it, he can try another, to see if he has a hot hand.  However, he is very much like Donovan Clay, where he is athletic as heck, and can shoot well from inside the 3 point line, and should live in more of the mid-range. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on January 17, 2024, 09:38:09 PM
I like Edwards overall, but he needs to be held to one 3 point shot each game.  If he makes it, he can try another, to see if he has a hot hand.  However, he is very much like Donovan Clay, where he is athletic as heck, and can shoot well from inside the 3 point line, and should live in more of the mid-range. 

I pretty much agree. He can defend and rebound and blocks some shots but is a marginal shooter that turns the ball over while making few assists. I want him to stay but his role on the 24-25 team should be very different resulting in less minutes.

covufan

Didn't watch game. Our defense needs to be better - 62.5% from 3 pt land and 50.9% overall FG % allowed?!?  So close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiny707

Wouldn't have minded Connor in at the end of the game to settle things down. Can shoot too.