• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #20, MVC #9, @ Southern Illinois 7pm Wednesday - the payback continues

Started by talksalot, January 22, 2024, 08:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

So... what's happened to these teams since we hosted them on the 10th.

Salukis got pounded by Drake at home
Salukis became unglued in the second half and lost to Bradley at home
Salukis lost to UNI in Iowa on Saturday on national TV

That Bradley game was something else... SIU had a 21 point lead at the half... and then...

It was a hot start for the Salukis from the opening tip as they were able to jump all over the Braves, knocking down their first six shots from the field to go up 16 points early. Forward AJ Ferguson was a key part of Southern's early success as the Houston native was aggressive driving to the rim with nine points in the first six minutes.

The Salukis finished the first half shooting 59 percent (16-27) from the field and 7-for-14 from behind the arc while holding Bradley to just 33 percent (9-27) shooting. Johnson and Ferguson led Southern with 12 points in the first half. Johnson along with Trent Brown and Troy D'Amico each knocked down a pair of 3-pointers as SIU went into the locker room with a 45-24 lead.

With Bradley on an 11-1 run midway through the second half and within eight points, D'Amico would knock in a 3-pointer from the top of the key to end the Braves run and push the SIU lead 58-47 with 10:18 left to play.

The Braves would continue to chip away at the SIU lead until Connor Hickman put the Braves on top for good with an and-one layup with just under a minute left in the game. BU's Duke Dean was strong down the stretch, scoring eight of Bradley's points over six minutes before eventually tying the game at 67 with a layup. Dean also connected on a pair of 3-pointers during the 13-4 run.

SIU was led by Johnson with 18 points, seven assists, and four rebounds. Ferguson finished with 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting while Clarence Rupert had 10 points and seven rebounds.
=============
and the UNI game on Saturday went like this...

Southern Illinois had a chance to tie it with under five seconds left but Xavier Johnson's 3-point attempt was off, and the Salukis dropped their third-straight game on the road at Northern Iowa, 61-57.

It was a defensive slugfest from the start inside McLeod Center as both teams combined for 23 points at the midway point of the first half with UNI holding a 12-11 advantage.

Trailing 28-24 with two minutes remaining in the first, the Salukis closed the half on a 6-1 run to take a 30-29 lead into the locker room. SIU would get inside scores from Clarence Rupert, AJ Ferguson, and Troy D'Amico during the run continuing to pound the paint where SIU held an 18-12 advantage.

Ferguson and Rupert picked up the Saluki offense with 10 points apiece as SIU leading scorer Xavier Johnson was held scoreless (three attempts) for the first time this season in the first half. Rupert was a menace on the glass with eight rebounds in 15 minutes of action in the first. 

Johnson would get on the scoreboard early in the second half and finish with 17 points including the last eight points for the Salukis.

SIU came out of the locker room in the second half and built a five-point lead at 41-36 following a putback dunk from Scottie Ebube. UNI would put on the defensive pressure though, holding SIU scoreless for the next six minutes to regain the lead and allow the Panther crowd to get back into the game.

Down eight with under a minute, SIU would get back-to-back 3-pointers from Johnson before his potential game-tying three with five seconds would not fall and the Panthers would convert a free throw to close out the win.

Johnson would lead SIU with all 17 of his points coming in the second half -- shooting just 5-for-18 from the field. Ferguson finished with 12 points for SIU while Rupert was the only other Saluki in double-digits with 10 points.

Three UNI players scored in double-figures led by Bowen Born who led the Panthers with 16.
===========

X-avier (for those reading this aloud) Johnson came into the Valpo game #2 in all of D1 basketball in ppg at 24.3...  he didn't make his first basket until there was 5 minutes in the first half, while he did end up with 22 points... including 10-10 from the line.  he was 5-13 from the field; it was Ebube (Eh-Boo-Bay, again, for those reading this aloud) and Ferguson who's drives to the basket really upset our apple cart.

We've done OK at the Banterra Center, and Quatro's Pizza is the real deal, and of course Insomnia Cookies... OK, Fine.  I'm sold.  I'll be in Carbondale.  hopping on the cleverly named Amtrak train... the "Saluki" from Homewood at 9am Wednesday morning; and the Return trip on Thursday morning, leaving C'dale at 7:30am.   $60 round trip. 

Lets keep this ship right side up.

vu72

I just looked at our record versus experience this year versus last.  Giving a freshman a 1 and a fifth year a 5, our top eight minute players average 1.75 years of experience with a 6-13 record through 19 games. Last year our top eight averaged 3.38 years of experience and had a 7-12 record.  Could the change in coaching have had an impact??  ::)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Can we continue to play well, especially on offense?  We really need a good defensive game.

Salukis  77
Beacons 73

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiny707

AB

our offense is improving..... Defensively we still have to many issues to fix and matchup issues. If anyone on our team is capable of stopping Johnson, I'm open for suggestions. Schweiger will have another nice game. 14 and 8. 74-62 SIU. Even in losses they still guard teams. I'm sure the line will be atleast  -10.5

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

tjjvalpo

SIU is currently a 14 point favorite with a total of 137.5 I believe we keep it close.

SIU 74
Valpo 68

David81

The number 77 came up for me, then I saw it did for others, too!

I'm pretty close to historyman:

SIU 77
Baby Beacs 71

SG

I enjoy watching this young team.  Young guys stepping up in recent games.

tjjvalpo

VUSWIM08-12

Really like what I'm seeing , aggressive to the basket , getting up the court quickly ! Up 3 with 10:45 to go!!

truth219

This team is improving. I don't know what the second half will bring, but a solid 20 minutes in the first half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiny707

vok22

I will be so disappointed when the season ends and a week later Cooper transfers to a middle of the pack Big 10/12 school for a 50k per year NIL deal. As much as I believe the way Roger is building is the right way to do it, I have my doubts that it can succeed for a small school in the NIL era.

SPEEDYPITCHER37

How many times has Valpo played ~30 good minutes just to have the other 10 ruin it? Now 1-6 in games decided by two possessions or less. Some serious progress is obvious even just the last few weeks but there's still a bit more to be done to truly be competitive in the Valley.

That being said, Schwieger is a stud. With development, experience, and a little more muscle, he could be, dare I say it, better than Krikke.

AB

SIU's pressured our guards in the start of the second half, resulting in turnovers, fast break point. They had a little extra gear. That was the game right there. Missed free throws and shot selection were the other factors. Team is definitely improving unlike last few years, were we laid eggs on the road. Effort was very good tonight. The SIU crowd was a non factor and aside from a missed charge on Darius, refs were fairly equal.

Except Johnson, anyone convinced SIU is that much more talented than Valpo? Lastly, can we focus on the improvement of the team the remainder of the season. Lets enjoy this, because we have the right coaching staff in place and are getting the most out of our roster limitations/experience. Can we worry about roster shakeups in the offseason, because we don't know what the hell will happen?!. As far as we can all see, the team seems pretty bought in to the coaching staff/culture at the moment.  Just maybe, just maybe...they all want to come back next year. Show up Saturday to Mo State! Full Stop

tiny707

justducky

Quote from: AB on January 24, 2024, 09:23:14 PMLastly, can we focus on the improvement of the team the remainder of the season. Lets enjoy this, because we have the right coaching staff in place and are getting the most out of our roster limitations/experience. Can we worry about roster shakeups in the offseason, because we don't know what the hell will happen?!. As far as we can all see, the team seems pretty bought in to the coaching staff/culture at the moment.  Just maybe, just maybe...they all want to come back next year. Show up Saturday to Mo State! Full Stop

If the team has bought into Roger Powell as much as we have then I wouldn't be predicting defections.  :)

Its fun to watch these kids even when they lose. Their improvement from early December has been enormous.

mj

Quote from: justducky on January 24, 2024, 09:41:31 PM
Quote from: AB on January 24, 2024, 09:23:14 PMLastly, can we focus on the improvement of the team the remainder of the season. Lets enjoy this, because we have the right coaching staff in place and are getting the most out of our roster limitations/experience. Can we worry about roster shakeups in the offseason, because we don't know what the hell will happen?!. As far as we can all see, the team seems pretty bought in to the coaching staff/culture at the moment.  Just maybe, just maybe...they all want to come back next year. Show up Saturday to Mo State! Full Stop

If the team has bought into Roger Powell as much as we have then I wouldn't be predicting defections.  :)

Its fun to watch these kids even when they lose. Their improvement from early December has been enormous.

I think it's evident that these guys really like playing together and they've bought into the program. The attitude difference between this years team and last years is...unbelievable. I'm not sure that we had a team last year rather than a collection of individuals who happened to play on the same court.

I believe that we will win.

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on January 24, 2024, 08:42:09 PMI will be so disappointed when the season ends and a week later Cooper transfers to a middle of the pack Big 10/12 school for a 50k per year NIL deal. As much as I believe the way Roger is building is the right way to do it, I have my doubts that it can succeed for a small school in the NIL era.
Were that to happen and I don't think it will not, you can likely kiss Roger Powell goodbye. I doubt he took the Valpo job to coach the farm team for other schools.

historyman

Turnovers at the start of the 2nd half doomed Valpo. Also poor free throw shooting, especially after beating UIC because of free throw shooting, really hurt. Playing on the road is especially tough on young teams when the tide turns in the game.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann