• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tony Stubblefield fired at De Paul

Started by tiny707, January 22, 2024, 02:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Names I have been seeing:
1.) Josh Schertz, Indiana State.
2.) Bryan Mullins, SIU.
3.) Brian Wardle, Bradley.
4.) Bryce Drew, GCU.
5.) Bobby Hurley, ASU.

vu84v2

Hard to see Drew or Hurley taking that job - even though ASU lacks any consistency. DePaul is going with an interim for the rest of this year.

tiny707

I thought Bryce was interested at one time? He has a pretty good gig going at GCU now. Only reason would be to get out of the WAC.

Only reason I see Bobby leaving would be to come to the Big East.

valpotx

No way is Hurley leaving ASU for DePaul.  I could see Bryce making that jump, but why leave a really safe situation at GCU, when they are willing to invest as much as they do into sports, and are likely to move up conferences in future realignments?  They also have tremendous fan and student support, which is tough to get nowadays. 

Wardle should throw his hat into the ring, and they would likely consider him.  Has success at two previously unsuccessful programs, and that is what you have at DePaul over the last 20 years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

it is incredible how DePaul has sunk so low, I am glad Stubblefield got canned, but the culture needs a complete enema.

mp91

Bryce and Bobby Hurley both interviewed with DePaul back in 2015. Would be fun to see Bryce back in the Midwest, but this is arguably the worst job in the power five and a complete rebuild. Tall task ahead. At least, you would have a nice recruiting pool.

Will Wade is likely another name to look out for. He is always willing to take undesirable jobs and turn the program around.

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 22, 2024, 03:17:19 PM
it is incredible how DePaul has sunk so low, I am glad Stubblefield got canned, but the culture needs a complete enema.

Among DePaul's many problems, they also need to address the lack of student interest and engagement that occurs when your stadium is not easily accessible by students. You can get away with that if you have had a lot of recent success (e.g., Villanova), but not when you are attempting your nth rebuild.

usc4valpo

One of many issues with DePaul. Their former AD was terrible and was in a different world.

tiny707

Yeah, former AD was brutal.

Yep, I think they had a game with under 300 in attendance.