• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #21, MVC #10, Missouri State Saturday 1/26 3pm Blaze birthday

Started by talksalot, January 26, 2024, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Simplistically:  Seniors, etc.  vs. Freshmen. Game to the seniors.  Good for them -  -  - but not by that much. And MVC, you better look over your shoulder next season.

Whether it be a Ual and/or Lucas plus maybe an xfer big, next year, it will be even more fun. These kids are so much fun to watch.  Their exuberance on the floor gets you psyched.

But I wish we had Darius for an additional year.  He is just beginning to reach his potential. He plays within the game. He penetrates. He hits FTs. He  can drain a three at times which no PG in the last few years could do. He is confident and assertive. Big point: He smiles while on the court during the game. This kid loves what he is doing. His dad, former HC at McGill, raised a real player.

I predict that Darius will be the 2024-25 version of Xavier Johnson.

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on January 27, 2024, 05:44:36 PM
Will be nice to Lual and Lucas next year. Two more big bodies.

How nice willyoube?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on January 27, 2024, 03:46:43 PM
I thought that last home game, as well, but it only ended up as 1,400.  The chairback side must have been pretty sparse.  I would guess 2,000 again today, but it will probably be around 1,500

SanityLost17

Somebody mentioned Scroggins and Lual.    Is Lual actually ever going to be healthy and Scroggins is a slender 6'9" according to the roster stats.   Both guys are probably 1 more year away from being truly impactful players and thus should be treated like they are another year away.

I think this team, if possible, needs to get a couple of upperclassmen transfers for next year.   We have a highly touted guard coming in as a freshman and we have some redshirt guys who I suppose will also join that freshman class to go along with a whole bunch of sophomores.

Our guard play should be stellar next year     Go grab at least 1 BIG STRONG 4th or 5th year senior from the portal to immediately impact the wins/loss record and build excitement for the future.   I don't think it is wise to go another year without a proven big man.   At some point you have to balance long term goals of player development and getting some W's to build excitement for fans/players/coaches/etc.   

We will all start to lose faith if we go another year of a million "close loss" moral victories because there is still a gigantic hole in the roster that needs filled to make this a complete team.   

justducky

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 28, 2024, 12:44:19 PMOur guard play should be stellar next year     Go grab at least 1 BIG STRONG 4th or 5th year senior from the portal to immediately impact the wins/loss record and build excitement for the future.   I don't think it is wise to go another year without a proven big man.   At some point you have to balance long term goals of player development and getting some W's to build excitement for fans/players/coaches/etc.   

Finding a Thomas Kithier level or better inside player should be achievable with Roger Powell as the recruiter. While he is at it maybe he can throw in a Shane Hammink or Darien Walker type for additional outside shooting.

AB

Have to admire the effort and yes the bad stretches are killers. Based on Mo State's talent they should have a better record, but this was a good matchup for the Bears. Our Boys are getting valuable experience this year, and how many times last few years we would get down 15-20 points no fight back. Look at the ceiling the last few years, look at the ceiling of this team.