• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #23, MVC #12, Evansville in the ARC 3pm Saturday - Bring it

Started by talksalot, February 02, 2024, 07:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

We owe them one...let's see what's happened in the past few games.

They beat us 78-75
Lost at Drake... 97-48.  Ouch
Lost at UNI... 70-63
Beat Illinois State at home 58-54
Beat UIC at home 77-60

and their next game is at home against Bradley

Against us, Toumi with 13, Bailey with 13, Strawbridge with 11 and Thomas with 10.  50% from the field, 62.5% from 3 (10 of 16) and 14 of 19 from the line.  They had 32 points in the paint, 17 points off turnovers and 8 second chance points.

Valpo led by Stafford with 31, DeAveiro and Schwieger with 12 each, Williamson with 10.   We shot 44% from the field, 11 of 27 from 3, and 8-11 from the line.  We had 26 points in the paint, 22 points off turnovers and 20 second chance points.

We out-rebounded them 32 to 31.  Both teams had 14 turnovers.

In their last game against UIC, Humrichous was limited to 16 minutes scored 15 points on 6-11 from the line and 5 rebounds and 4 assists.   All 9 suited guys had at least 15 minutes of playing time... they went 25-33 from the line!  UIC was called for 23 fouls, The aces had only 10.

It's Beach Party day at the ARC.  Three fans will go home with $300 Southwest Airlines Gift Cards.  I don't know HOW they will be "won"...but you will have to be present to accept them.

We got this.    to quote a great caption.

tiny707

covufan

Valpo 77
E'Ville 70

And we outrebound them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

On a day when, amazingly, there are four games in which both teams are ranked in the AP Top 10 - Valpo will win 78-68

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Valpo         69
Evansville  67

I believe that Valpo wins by getting just enough from Stafford, DeAveiro & Schweiger and enough bad play from Evansville to pull out a win.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

Awfully quiet on a game day with a chance for a win!  :snore: I'm hoping we are wide awake and celebrating by 5:30 CST. If it takes a couple OTs I'm good with that also.

VUSWIM08-12

Gotta win this home game ! Stafford lit them up last time so if they try to contain him hopefully others step up , would like to see 4-5+ in double figures !!

truth219

Cooper is starting off hot from 3. Off topic but I prefer our head coach in a suit...the sweatsuit just looks to casual.

NotBryceDrew

tjjvalpo

Wow! After making our first 4 shots, we have gone 6 of 26 since. It amazing that we only down 3.

vu72

Ok first half. If we can get our shooters going we should have a chance and yes, the student section looks better than in years!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

covufan

First five minutes of second half we need to play physically, especially on the boards and in the paint. Take it to Toumi.

mj

I believe that we will win.

AB

Two bad teams, neither capable of pulling away.  Good to see the students turn out. Free throw shooting discrepancy. So much for my 4-3 prediction. Could end up 0-7. Might have to have a new post. Will we win any more games this year?

justducky

Good defense by both teams and we only turned the ball over 7 times. Down the stretch they had several more experienced upperclassmen playing and that might have been the difference. We certainly didn't get many good looks at the basket.

usc4valpo

I believe Powell will get this program in the right direction. They really need better talent and experience.

justducky

Good win for the Trees. How many point underdogs should we be on Wed?
Quote from: usc4valpo on February 03, 2024, 06:12:56 PMI believe Powell will get this program in the right direction.

He already has. I am excited to watch a team with 6 wins.

Nice game from Edwards but 3 of our 4 freshmen were outmatched. Ragland made sure that Stafford didn't beat them by allowing Schweiger a little (not a lot but a little) breathing space. Good game by Cooper but not quite enough.

valpo64

Evansville started 5 seniors(3 of which were 5th year).  A veteran lineup like that, with experience and the age factor, just killed us inside as they had their way with our guys in the paint.  At this point we just are not experienced enough or strong enough.  I just can't figure out our shooting woes...terrible.  And then there is our interior defense.  Our biggest guy, Cooper, only had 2 rebounds until very late in the game when he finally got his 3rd.  I thought we could have and should have won this game....very disappointing.

justducky

Quote from: valpo64 on February 03, 2024, 07:44:20 PMAt this point we just are not experienced enough or strong enough.  I just can't figure out our shooting woes...terrible.  And then there is our interior defense.

Other than Cooper our other 3 freshmen shot 2 of 11 from the field with much of it because they were well defended. Yes our small player interior defensive scheme also got frequently outmaneuvered but lets give some credit to the Aces for creating and finding some openings.

tiny707

At this point, nothing to lose against the Trees. Shake up the starting five. Put in Jahari and Jaxon or Palm and Barrett.