• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Bryce Drew & Jerry Stackhouse

Started by valpo95, February 02, 2024, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo95

It isn't exactly about VU basketball, yet Bryce Drew has GCU playing well. They are currently 20-2 and on the #11 line in the current ESPN bracketology. Their schedule isn't great, yet GCU has wins against San Francisco and San Diego State. The two losses are to South Carolina and Seattle U.

Contrast that with Jerry Stackhouse at the other VU - they are 5-15 and winless in the SEC. (Bryce Drew got fired after his third season at Vandy after going 9-23.) 

covufan

Quote from: valpo95 on February 02, 2024, 11:02:11 AM
It isn't exactly about VU basketball, yet Bryce Drew has GCU playing well. They are currently 20-2 and on the #11 line in the current ESPN bracketology. Their schedule isn't great, yet GCU has wins against San Francisco and San Diego State. The two losses are to South Carolina and Seattle U.

Contrast that with Jerry Stackhouse at the other VU - they are 5-15 and winless in the SEC. (Bryce Drew got fired after his third season at Vandy after going 9-23.)
I firmly believe that Vanderbilt should've waited 2 more years, especially with the injuries in Bryce's last year. I also can't blame an AD when you do an 0'fer in conference play.

Bryce and GCU basketball will be fine. 10-11 seed is about right.

If he wins a game or two in NCAA tournament, is there any speculation where he might land?  Please don't say DePaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu84v2

Quote from: covufan on February 02, 2024, 12:48:49 PM
Quote from: valpo95 on February 02, 2024, 11:02:11 AM

I firmly believe that Vanderbilt should've waited 2 more years, especially with the injuries in Bryce's last year. I also can't blame an AD when you do an 0'fer in conference play.

Bryce and GCU basketball will be fine. 10-11 seed is about right.

If he wins a game or two in NCAA tournament, is there any speculation where he might land?  Please don't say DePaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Canyon, in their efforts to develop credibility for the university, overpaid Bryce (he made $1.5M in 2022). Not faulting Bryce for finding the best way to get paid, and GCU would likely go to at least $2M to keep him. Thus, a program would need to significantly beat $2M AND have a good foundation and resources - as well as giving the necessary latitude - to build a program. That is not DePaul.

GCU's one major limitation is that it is very unlikely that another conference would take them (so they have no way to move up). University Presidents in potential conferences (WCC, MWC) are not going to accept having a for-profit university with very poorly accredited academics in their conference.

Who might it be? Butler? (if Thad Matta retires) One of the former Pac-12 teams? (expect a bunch of movement with conference realignment, plus Bobby Hurley's tenure at ASU may end shortly). My guess is that the most likely scenario is that Bryce stays at GCU.

All other things being equal, non-White coaches are more likely to be dismissed in college basketball. However, Stackhouse won 19 games in his third year and 22 in his fourth. Thus, he may be able to survive a bad 2023-2024 season.

usc4valpo

Bryce Drew would be a buffoon to take the DePaul job, and I firmly believes he knows that. USC May be looking for a new coach however.

Chairback

Will be interesting to see what happens at Ohio St. and Jake at seasons end.     

The fans are not happy and they have fallen mightily.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/basketball/ohio-state-ad-gene-smith-reveals-stance-on-future-of-mbb-coach-chris-holtmann

valpo95

Quote from: Chairback on February 03, 2024, 12:39:36 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens at Ohio St. and Jake at seasons end.     

The fans are not happy and they have fallen mightily.

https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/basketball/ohio-state-ad-gene-smith-reveals-stance-on-future-of-mbb-coach-chris-holtmann

Well, looks like part of the story is complete.

Holtmann is fired, and Jake Diebler is the new interim coach.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39525180/sources-chris-holtmann-ohio-state-basketball-coach

valpotx

Wow, very cool!  He is setup well moving forward, and will have his choice of mid-major coaching opportunities. 
"Don't mess with Texas"