• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #26 MVC #15 - Northern Iowa #1 ARC Valentines Day 7pm

Started by talksalot, February 12, 2024, 05:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Headlines:
$172 in the Half-Court Carryover pot
Schwieger wins 4th Freshman of the Week Honors.
UNI comes in after losing to UIC in their last game, losing 4 of their last 5 games
Halftime:     amazingtyler.com       
Heise coming in during his 27th year of eligibility... or it just seems like it.
Valpo record vs UNI:   5-31
Valpo record on Valentine's Day:  lost the last three... last win, 2012 74-65 over UIC
It is Ash Wednesday, hoping the Panthers had too many paczkis on Tuesday.  Maybe they will give up the 3 point shooting for Lent.

about their game at UIC...
From the UNI recap:

A second half rally came up short for the UNI men's basketball team on Sunday afternoon as the Panthers dropped a 71-65 road contest to the UIC Flames at Credit Union 1 Arena in Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) play.

The loss by the Panthers' snaps their three-game winning streak against the Flames in their first loss to UIC since 2008. Northern Iowa shot effectively in the first half, but struggled to keep up with UIC's hot shooting hand from beyond the three-point arc.

HOW IT HAPPENED
Jacob Hutson, Nate Heise and Tytan Anderson helped pace UNI's interior offense in the opening period in an entertaining back-and-forth to begin the game. Struggling to defend the three-point shot against the Flames, UIC's Filip Skobalj buried four three-point baskets on four attempts in the first half and pressured the Panthers into seven turnovers in the first 20 minutes of play and struggled to slow CJ Jones down in the paint. Northern Iowa would fall behind on a 9-0 Flames run, but slowly chipped its deficit back down to single-digits in the final minutes. Kyle Pock gave the Panthers a final spark on offense in the final seconds of the half after being fouled on a made three-point shot and converting on a free throw to head to the locker room trailing, 40-32.

UNI scored the first four points of the second half and quickly fought back into the game with an aggressive pursuit of loose rebounds and drawn contact. Pushing the Flames' defense in transition, the Panthers tied the game at 51-51 thanks to a 13-point half by Heise and a defensive effort that slowed down UIC's three-point shooting in the final minutes. Northern Iowa would struggle at the free throw line, however, missing six attempts from the charity stripe and finding difficulty in establishing a three-point shooting game (4-21).

Heise finished the afternoon with a team-high 19 points and 11 rebounds for his fourth double-double performance of the season, while Anderson notched 13 points with eight rebounds. Trey Campbell tallied 11 points with four rebounds in the loss, as Born posted a seven-point game. Landon Wolf, Michael Duax and Pock all finished with four points each.

UNI is 7-7 in the Valley, NET is 129.  Best wins
Home win over NET #70 Richmond, followed by a 22-point blowout win over #141 Stanford in the Bahamas.  Other than the UIC thing, they have done what they were supposed to do.

0    Heise   6-5, 205 Sr  13.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg
13  Born   5-11  170 Jr  13.3 ppg (90% from the line)
32  Anderson 6-6, 205    11.2 ppg 6.3 rpg
4    Campbell 6-4 185  9.2 ppg, shooting 42% from 3
11  Hutson 6-11  250   8.4 ppg started every game, not taken a 3pt shot, Trf from Loyola (IL), 3rd on the team in rebounding, 4.0 rpg

Next player in Minutes per game is Michael Duax 51% from the field... only 58% from the line.

Can the guys auditioning for next year's team put it together over a slumping team? 

AB

Valpo 71 UNI 70
Buzzer beater win, Barrett scores in double figures

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

So, only 172 students showed up to game in the student section?  Why would anyone donate for a new arena when we can't get students to a game on a Saturday?

I have no idea which team will show up tomorrow.  Just hope for a good game.

Valpo 70
UNI    68

valpo64

I don't know how many the student section holds but it appeared the section was pretty full.

Chairback

152 of them left immediately after the half court shot.   Within minutes and was sad to see. 

usc4valpo

54-27 at half, unfortunately students won't be enthusiastic to stay for the second half.

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

SPEEDYPITCHER37

This definitely could be another blowout, but I have a feeling this is gonna be an even uglier game to watch with UNI averaging 62.4 ppg in their last 5 games.

UNI 68
Valpo 61

crusadermoe

When I click on the ValpoFanZone, I now see a page with only the most recent entry in a few categories.  Is this some kind of an accident in our or just my portal path?  Or is this a deliberate change in the topics menu?

There were more recent posts on other topics than the Feb. 8 sports one.

JD24

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 14, 2024, 10:42:18 AMWhen I click on the ValpoFanZone, I now see a page with only the most recent entry in a few categories.  Is this some kind of an accident in our or just my portal path?  Or is this a deliberate change in the topics menu? There were more recent posts on other topics than the Feb. 8 sports one.
Rooting for an accident since it looks like something out of the late 1990's

edit: and after reading the sticky I see my thoughts about the age of the software is accurate.

Valpo89

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 14, 2024, 10:42:18 AM
When I click on the ValpoFanZone, I now see a page with only the most recent entry in a few categories.  Is this some kind of an accident in our or just my portal path?  Or is this a deliberate change in the topics menu?

There were more recent posts on other topics than the Feb. 8 sports one.
Happened to me as well.
Expecting Beacons to be blown out tonight. :(

VUSWIM08-12

If the Redbirds can beat  the Trees we can beat UNI! My Valpo career started in 08-09, we were bad , gotta stay faithful not matter what!!
Valpo 72
UNI 71

Some wild buzzer beater , we're due for something!!

talksalot

Suppose nate heise were to not play tonight? Would that alter your guesses?

Chairback

Palm and Barrett will not be back next year.  For Covid year.

truth219

There are no students here as of 4 minutes to tip off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truth219

The attendance has to be under a 1000. I've never seen such a poor turn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humbleopinion

Beamin' Beacons

Pgmado

Wish I could be there. Pretty sick at the moment. It's not COVID, but feel like death warmed over. Watching at home.

historyman

Quote from: historyman on February 14, 2024, 06:58:15 AM
Northern Iowa  90
Valparaiso        69

Wasn't too far off  If they had played it out maybe it would have been closer but Jacobsen called off the scoring in the last minute & Valpo reciprocated.

Northern IA  86
Valpo           67
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

AB

I'm sorry, but they have put up a good fight for most of the season, but they are playing like they know they can't win. Team looks emotionally tired and has hit their ceiling/wall. No. Iowa was limping coming in. Better days ahead. Schweiger still a STUD. I'm changing my tone on Barrett. He needs to go, his defense is an F. He's not improved in four years, one demential shooter and if he's not hitting. His wide open lay up (miss) attempt in the first half was horrendous. No more wins for this team, this season. Will they loose any games by single digits?

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on February 14, 2024, 08:27:34 PMWatching at home.

Not sick but I couldn't make it either. I'll be there for Indiana St because this remaining season is the foundation for next season.

tiny707