• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

There are some talented kids on that SYF squad, including Marquette Catholic product Colin Kenney. Kenney has been getting D1 interest from schools like Kent State. He's a pretty underrated kid in our own backyard. The only knock on him is his size from what I've heard, but he's going to a nice recruiting pick up for someone.

https://twitter.com/INBBallSource/status/1020053869177524224

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on July 18, 2018, 10:24:52 PM
https://twitter.com/Illinois_Stars/status/1019698000082464769

Don't know anything about these kids, but if the competition is IUPUI and UWM, I'm not enthused.  We need to aim higher.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on July 19, 2018, 09:40:14 PMWe need to aim higher.

What is this WE talk????? Are we finally getting you snared in?

VU2014

https://twitter.com/AUSA_Hoops/status/1020697871266574336

It sounds like Coach Lottich was scouting one the Australian AAU programs today.

VU2014

Valpo recruit Chris Payton mentions that he is one of/if not the top priority for the Valpo Coaching Staff in a interview. We have one scholarship as of right now for the 2019 class.

It seems like Payton hasn't had as strong of a AAU season as he has wanted but this kid has a TON of potential. Freakish athletic ability. His up and down AAU season might keep his recruitment at a level where we could compete to land him. He was getting a ton of high major interest last Summer but it seems to have cooled since then. He didn't have the huge Junior season that many thought was coming. He could be a steal for someone at the mid-major level. He mentioned that he wants to make his decision by this Fall.

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1021218478664093696

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0b5TM-Rac

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on July 22, 2018, 09:35:45 PM
Valpo recruit Chris Payton mentions that he is one of/if not the top priority for the Valpo Coaching Staff in a interview. We have one scholarship as of right now for the 2019 class.

It seems like Payton hasn't had as strong of a AAU season as he has wanted but this kid has a TON of potential. Freakish athletic ability. His up and down AAU season might keep his recruitment at a level where we could compete to land him. He was getting a ton of high major interest last Summer but it seems to have cooled since then. He didn't have the huge Junior season that many thought was coming. He could be a steal for someone at the mid-major level. He mentioned that he wants to make his decision by this Fall.

https://twitter.com/scottybscout/status/1021218478664093696

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0b5TM-Rac

New Mexico has made 23 2019 offers. Nevada - 17. Those are more like a child's Christmas list than serious recruiting lists. Valpo has offered 4 players, including Payton.

FWalum

If one can be impressed by an interview this certainly hits the mark. Chris Payton seems to be a very well spoken young man.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on July 23, 2018, 09:05:00 AM
If one can be impressed by and interview this certainly hits the mark. Chris Payton seems to be a very well spoken young man.

Agreed. He seems like a mature young man. His story just seems like a Valpo type player: maybe a slightly overlooked guy, whose aspects of their game isn't polished and the Valpo coaching staff develops the kid over 4 years. If we could get him in on a official visit I think we'd have a shot. His potential sophomore year he'd be playing big minutes for us.

VU2014

Storylines, notes from NY2LA's Summer Jam bonanza
Joe Henricksen
For Sun-Times Media | @joehoopsreport
July 23

Bloomington's Chris Payton is an absolute enigma as a player. Is he still a top five prospect in the Class of 2019 in Illinois? He certainly has it in him.

The physical gifts –– the wide-shouldered body, the explosiveness off the floor, the way he moves when he wants to –– are clear. The production on the club circuit, however, has not matched the potential he possesses. The flash he shows has not been followed by the substance. It's going to be interesting to follow the recruitment of Payton going forward. But if you're a mid-major program, you still have to be extremely intrigued by the potential be brings.

... https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/07/23/storylines-notes-ny2las-summer-jam-bonanza/

I'm curious if the Coaches will get involved in Welch's recruitment. He sounds like a interesting prospect. He's made some noise this summer on the AAU circuit.

"◆ The offers for Naperville North's Tom Welch have become a little stagnant. And that's been surprising, especially considering the conversations I've had with college coaches over the past two weeks. The 6-7 forward still has double-digit offers to choose from but high-major programs, with the exception of Ole Miss, have not pulled the trigger. There should be more mid-major plus programs involved (Hello, A-10!?!?!). As I've told many college coaches of late, Welch is the player who in three years is playing at a mid-major and this question will essentially be asked: "How did he end up at a mid-major?""

VUGrad1314

I read on Loyola's board that they seem pretty confident that they have a real shot at landing Welch, and that he'll make his decision fairly quickly  before school starts. We'll see.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 23, 2018, 03:03:24 PM
I read on Loyola's board that they seem pretty confident that they have a real shot at landing Welch, and that he'll make his decision fairly quickly  before school starts. We'll see.

Loyola has the short term big advantage on recruiting for that Final Four appearance.  If we go head-to-head with them, they will win the higher % of recruiting battles for now.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1024787008936439808

Henricksen: July's stock boosters, winners and losers
Joe Henricksen
For Sun-Times Media | @joehoopsreport
Aug. 1 5:15 p.m.

Biggest senior stock riser
◼︎ Tujautae Williams, Orr

The City/Suburban Hoops Report was on a bit of a mission to get this name out there, billing Williams as the "super sleeper" in the senior class heading into July. It was just a matter of getting some college coaching eyes on Williams, who played out the month of July with the Chicago Demons. His upside, athleticism and raw talent would take over from there.

Although the recruitment is still just starting to brew, it's clearly on the rise and will only heat up more.

When asked where is the interest coming from after playing out the month of July with the Chicago Demons, Williams responded with "everywhere."

While that hasn't matriculated into a whole bunch of offers just yet, the word is out on a player with an enormously high ceiling. He was hearing from virtually no one a month ago. In the last couple of weeks Williams has heard from Florida Atlantic, SIUE, Northern Kentucky, Utah State, Portland State, Wright State, Butler, Buffalo, Ole Miss, Valparaiso, Kansas State and Drake.

There is now a plethora of Division I coaching staffs doing their homework on Williams after being so intrigued by the 6-5 guard throughout the month. And there is so much to like from a player with his type of length, athleticism and potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6oYK8XphI

VU2014

No surprise here but the Canadian recruit Quincy Guerrier trimmed Valpo from his list of schools.

We currently have 1 available scholarship for the class of 2019, barring a transfer or someone going pro early.

https://twitter.com/quincyguerrier/status/1026988743968935938

VU2014

Quote from: VU2014 on July 23, 2018, 02:32:19 PM
https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/07/23/storylines-notes-ny2las-summer-jam-bonanza/

I'm curious if the Coaches will get involved in Welch's recruitment. He sounds like a interesting prospect. He's made some noise this summer on the AAU circuit.

"◆ The offers for Naperville North's Tom Welch have become a little stagnant. And that's been surprising, especially considering the conversations I've had with college coaches over the past two weeks. The 6-7 forward still has double-digit offers to choose from but high-major programs, with the exception of Ole Miss, have not pulled the trigger. There should be more mid-major plus programs involved (Hello, A-10!?!?!). As I've told many college coaches of late, Welch is the player who in three years is playing at a mid-major and this question will essentially be asked: "How did he end up at a mid-major?""

Welch just committed to Loyola. I did a bigger dive into his game and I'm a fan. Would have loved to see the our coaches pursue him in recruitment.

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1027688707145519104

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 09, 2018, 05:56:32 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on July 23, 2018, 02:32:19 PM
https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/07/23/storylines-notes-ny2las-summer-jam-bonanza/

Welch just committed to Loyola. I did a bigger dive into his game and I'm a fan. Would have loved to see the our coaches pursue him in recruitment.

https://twitter.com/michaelsobrien/status/1027688707145519104

Time will tell, his high lights don't make him appear like a huge "get".  But his length and ability to shoot are certainly there if highlight videos are any indication.  That type of player is needed on our current roster, so count me envious.

VU2014

VUGrad1314

Please... Please... Please... This would be a huge get, and would allow us to really make serious  inroads in the 2020 class, when we need to fill a ton of spots, while still monitoring our top 2019 targets and the transfer market in case any current players leave. I don't think it's an understatement to say that Chris Payton is key to the mid and long-term future of the program. Not only for his potential on-court impact but also for what getting him signed would allow our staff to do on the recruiting trail. I think it has to be a good sign that we are first so soon after he met our new staff at the camp we hosted. I think his interest and the connection the staff has formed with him are real and we  have a great shot to get him. We really need to land his commitment.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 16, 2018, 09:18:41 PMPlease... Please... Please... This would be a huge get, and would allow us to really make serious  inroads in the 2020 class, when we need to fill a ton of spots, while still monitoring our top 2019 targets and the transfer market in case any current players leave. I don't think it's an understatement to say that Chris Payton is key to the mid and long-term future of the program. We really need to land his commitment.
I'd really like to see him at Valpo too. If you look at his tape you can see he can play and in his interviews he seems very smart just by the way he articulates his answers.
I think the need for 2019 is a position player other than guard. 

VUGrad1314

No kidding. The guard position's good for the next 2-3 years I think.

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 16, 2018, 09:40:05 PM

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 16, 2018, 09:18:41 PMPlease... Please... Please... This would be a huge get, and would allow us to really make serious  inroads in the 2020 class, when we need to fill a ton of spots, while still monitoring our top 2019 targets and the transfer market in case any current players leave. I don't think it's an understatement to say that Chris Payton is key to the mid and long-term future of the program. We really need to land his commitment.
I'd really like to see him at Valpo too. If you look at his tape you can see he can play and in his interviews he seems very smart just by the way he articulates his answers.
I think the need for 2019 is a position player other than guard. 

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 16, 2018, 10:11:53 PM
No kidding. The guard position's good for the next 2-3 years I think.

What's interesting about Payton's game is his versatility and athleticism. He's 6'6" - 6'7" and could be a swing guy. I think he's going to thrive at good mid-major where he'll get the opportunity play and develop. He just seems like a Valpo recruit from a culture and recruiting standpoint (a guy who has a ton of potential but seems to be getting overlooked by many high majors). I think he'd thrive at Valpo. He'd get to be on that potential very strong 2019-20 team as freshman and then as sophomore his role would probably significantly increase.

VUGrad1314

and I think that 2020-2021 team could be pretty good too. It'll certainly have pieces.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on August 16, 2018, 10:28:10 PM
What's interesting about Payton's game is his versatility and athleticism. He's 6'6" - 6'7" and could be a swing guy. I think he's going to thrive at good mid-major where he'll get the opportunity play and develop. He just seems like a Valpo recruit from a culture and recruiting standpoint (a guy who has a ton of potential but seems to be getting overlooked by many high majors). I think he'd thrive at Valpo. He'd get to be on that potential very strong 2019-20 team as freshman and then as sophomore his role would probably significantly increase.

He's got solid hops and is pretty smooth offensively.  My only concern with him is his footspeed defensively.  He'll also need to continue to work and improve his outside shooting and ball handling if he is going to be a swing guy at the college level.  Would be a good get for Valpo, as the competition for him is literally teams in the MVC.  Seems like a pretty lengthy gap in between his visits, so I'd think Lottich and Company will want to keep him from going to the SIU visit.

FWalum

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 17, 2018, 06:31:52 AM

He's got solid hops and is pretty smooth offensively.  My only concern with him is his footspeed defensively.  He'll also need to continue to work and improve his outside shooting and ball handling if he is going to be a swing guy at the college level.  Would be a good get for Valpo, as the competition for him is literally teams in the MVC.  Seems like a pretty lengthy gap in between his visits, so I'd think Lottich and Company will want to keep him from going to the SIU visit.
Pretty much agree with your assessment. Not much video on him shooting from the outside so it is likely that he will need to work on his perimeter game and ball handling.  Hard to tell if it is foot-speed on defense or if he just hasn't been well coached on positioning.  Likes to block from behind a lot, sometimes good jumpers get lazy until they have to play better competition and other players catchup. Most impressed with just how effortlessly he seems to play.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 17, 2018, 06:31:52 AM

Agreed.

It's also very strategic timing with him coming in for his visit on Freshman welcome week. Valpo coaches have always been pretty savvy about that type of stuff. I know the coaches really liked Xavier Casteneda (JFL's HS/AAU teammate) last year and they tried to get him on his visit on homecoming weekend but he took his UCF visit before ours and he never made it to VU.

It's different for every kid but if the kid is set on making his commitment in the Fall getting the first visit could be a big deal.