• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman Liberty

Started by tiny707, February 06, 2019, 07:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo84

Quote from: bbtds on February 07, 2019, 08:02:54 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 07, 2019, 07:11:54 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 07, 2019, 05:35:55 AM
It is extremely interesting how you guys are willing to quibble over whether a player should be "honored" enough to get his own thread but at the same time can't be bothered enough to "honor" the same player by spelling his name correctly.

Have you ever considered tabulating the number of hours and or calories you've wasted by correcting grammar or spelling in your life?  That being said, I'm looking forward to you correcting me for years to come 🍻🍻🍻

It's become obvious that spelling our players names and people's names in general correctly on this board is not popular and it does no good to provoke the angry mob. I will no longer speak to the spelling on this board.

By the way bbtds, it's players' names, not players names. It could have been "spelling player names." But once it became the possessive with "our," it required the apostrophe. Sorry couldn't resist.  8-)
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on February 08, 2019, 12:21:50 AM
Quote from: JD24 on February 07, 2019, 10:36:48 PMIs there a board where grammatical and spelling corrections are popular? If so, I need to take a look at it because that is most assuredly a "fun" crowd.
Private School Teachers Chatboard – Teachers.Net https://teachers.net/mentors/private/ Private School resources, Private School chat, Private School lesson plans, Private School jobs. Bookmark Teachers.Net and tell a friend!
LOL!
aka The Fun Bunch!

crusadermoe

Impressive debates of grammar and spelling among the posters.   That should not surprise our alumni .

As John Lithgow said at the Valpo event in 2009, "Harvard considers itself the Valparaiso of the northeast."  :)   :thumbsup:

valpopal

[tweet]1095068219663179776[/tweet]

vu72

Ever notice how Javon has a likeness to a pretty good player from the past?

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/746AD519-68D9-4777-8ADD-AEA7EF47246E/20768L.jpg
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

You're not trying to say that Liberty and Bryant had more than just an NBA court in common, are you?

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on February 12, 2019, 04:56:43 AM
You're not trying to say that Liberty and Bryant had more than just an NBA court in common, are you?

Certainly not!  Just both good looking dudes!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

FWalum

Really like the last line of that video "Valparaiso back on top"!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

Quote from: FWalum on February 12, 2019, 09:56:48 AM
Really like the last line of that video "Valparaiso back on top"!

Agreed. Let's make that a conference wide sentiment  and even spread that throughout the NCAA. Javon is the right man to take us there. I love his game.

M

What's everyone's thoughts about a freshmen wall? Our two young guns have been leaned on quite a bit.

VUGrad1314

It's been a concern of mine for awhile and I fear we may have seen it on Wednesday night.

VU2010

No freshman wall. Don't buy it. Excuse.
They're both going to be fine. Both good players.

VU2014

I think Javon will be fine. I think it was just a off game. I think we'll see him comeback strong tomorrow. Sackey was actually pretty good in stretches on Wednesday, beside missing some big free throws.

nkvu

Javon may have been taught a lesson in the last game that could help him in the future. That is to adjust his play to the way the game is being called.  Clearly whatever he was doing in previous games on defense was getting called as fouls in this one. Unless these refs were just out to lunch on their calls, and I defer to the basketball minds on that, he is too important to the team not to adjust his defense so that he stays in the game.  I would hope we know referee tendencies and can prepare for the type of game they call, but I don't know.  And whining about the calls after the fact like some players do gets you nothing. Getting on the refs is the coaches job, not the players.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2010 on February 15, 2019, 08:50:55 PM
No freshman wall. Don't buy it. Excuse.
They're both going to be fine. Both good players.

It's real if you played high level sports.  The level of workout and rest is more finally tuned at their level.  I'm not certain that there is much time for workouts in the heart of the season so their "base" from the pre-season is important.  If you're a freshman, that base/core is hard to establish in 8-weeks.

But more than anything, very few high school seniors are mentally prepared for the grind of a 30+ game season with extensive travel combined with hitting the books for the first time in their lives (many).

It's real, both mental and physical.

crusader05

I don't think Javonn  hits a wall as much as he had a Loyola hangover. He poured himself into that game and then they lost in the last 5 minutes. He probably physically and emotionally exhausted himself a bit and that led to some sloppy play. It's a good lesson on bouncing back and how to manage in the future when he's the focal point of the team.

M

I was more curious if people thought this existed. With year round AAU kids are playing way more then ever before. I suppose the physicality of college level ball could wear them down a bit.

crusadermoe

He has definitely been our cornerstone in terms of minutes played.  The physical wear and tear from bigger college players is likely a real factor. 

But it's hard for me to believe that a slim 18-year old kid who moves so smoothly would wear out in terms of endurance. He is a huge catalyst on offense whether he is taking the shot or not.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusadermoe on February 16, 2019, 09:41:48 AM
He has definitely been our cornerstone in terms of minutes played.  The physical wear and tear from bigger college players is likely a real factor. 

But it's hard for me to believe that a slim 18-year old kid who moves so smoothly would wear out in terms of endurance. He is a huge catalyst on offense whether he is taking the shot or not.

From experience it's as much or more mental.  The crunch of travel and academics combined with 4-hour practices/lifting took a toll on many student athletes during our time.   But he sure does make it look easy!!!

crusader05

I'd also imagine coming from a team that won a lot it's hard to go from top of the game to middle of the pack. Struggling takes different kind of mental toughness and competitiveness than winning does.

valpo64

Do not be fooled, Div 1 MBB is MUCH tougher both mentally and physically than one's senior year in HS.  The way it shows as the season progresses is through inconsistent play.  Every game at this level is a grind...no easy games, much more physical play and the competition is tough every night.  You can not relax on offense or defense.  There is no question that our frosh guards are starting to show as little fatigue.  You can see in the lapses in their games whether it be ball handling, shooting, rebounding, defense orand even sometimes hustle.  That's the way it is when you are freshman getting in that many minutes.  This is not a criticism but reality as I love our guys and look forward to seeing them improve each year forward.

bbtds

I would like to invoke my phrase that I used before Javon arrived on campus. He is not the only guy who can save this program and is only an important cog in a wheel that will allow the team to be more successful and possibly win an NCAA tournament bid this year AND/OR next or more in the future.

LET JAVON BE JAVON!

M

He's looking a bit beat up and wore down the last few games. He draws a lot of contact and plays a ton of minutes. I think a full offseason of weight training is going to do him wonders moving forward.

VUSL98

He certainly drew a lot of contact on the flagrant foul!