• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We have a coach! Roger Powell Jr

Started by vok22, April 07, 2023, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 18, 2023, 10:19:54 AM
I can see the comparisons between Deion Sanders and Roger Powell, but I would argue that there are substantial differences:

-Deion Sanders is a huge celebrity and can leverage that, Roger Powell is not a celebrity.
-Roger Powell has extensive coaching experience, whereas Deion Sanders only had a few years at Southern.
-Deion Sanders benefits from being able to immediately get his son to transfer and be a top flight quarterback. Another son is the starting cornerback.

I am not diminshing Deion Sanders' success or the potential for Coach Powell. I just see Coach Powell's forthcoming turnaround being more akin to Lance Leipold's at Kansas.

I'd add one more difference. Aside from wanting to win, Roger's and Sanders' value systems are polar opposites.  And I'd take Roger's every day.

JD24

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 18, 2023, 10:19:54 AMI can see the comparisons between Deion Sanders and Roger Powell, but I would argue that there are substantial differences: -Deion Sanders is a huge celebrity and can leverage that, Roger Powell is not a celebrity. -Roger Powell has extensive coaching experience, whereas Deion Sanders only had a few years at Southern. -Deion Sanders benefits from being able to immediately get his son to transfer and be a top flight quarterback. Another son is the starting cornerback. I am not diminshing Deion Sanders' success or the potential for Coach Powell. I just see Coach Powell's forthcoming turnaround being more akin to Lance Leipold's at Kansas.
Sanders was at Jackson St and not Southern.
The Powell and Sanders situations are really not comparable at all unless we're lumping all enthusiastic coaches in their first year into the same boat.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on September 18, 2023, 12:09:24 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on September 18, 2023, 10:19:54 AMI can see the comparisons between Deion Sanders and Roger Powell, but I would argue that there are substantial differences: -Deion Sanders is a huge celebrity and can leverage that, Roger Powell is not a celebrity. -Roger Powell has extensive coaching experience, whereas Deion Sanders only had a few years at Southern. -Deion Sanders benefits from being able to immediately get his son to transfer and be a top flight quarterback. Another son is the starting cornerback. I am not diminshing Deion Sanders' success or the potential for Coach Powell. I just see Coach Powell's forthcoming turnaround being more akin to Lance Leipold's at Kansas.
The Powell and Sanders situations are really not comparable at all unless we're lumping all enthusiastic coaches in their first year into the same boat.

The comparison I was making is to two charismatic coaches coming into situations where there was no place but up. The coaches were left with, either by encouragement or reality, basically very little talent. I was not comparing life styles or jewelry selections. They also are both black, coming into traditionally white environments. Geez, you guys are a tough crowd! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on September 18, 2023, 01:53:14 PMThe comparison I was making is to two charismatic coaches coming into situations where there was no place but up. The coaches were left with, either by encouragement or reality, basically very little talent. I was not comparing life styles or jewelry selections. They also are both black, coming into traditionally white environments.

Congratulations on your 7500th post!

Quote from: vu72 on September 18, 2023, 01:53:14 PMGeez, you guys are a tough crowd! 

7500 posts and you just now figured that out?    ::)

vu84v2

Quote from: JD24 on September 18, 2023, 12:09:24 PM

Thank you for the correction.

VULB#62

How blessed is Valpo men's basketball to be led by Roger Powell ? ❗️

I fixed it for you WH 😉. It's not a question at all.

VULB#62

Just listened to TVB pod cast of Paul's interview with Roger. Ya gotta listen to it. It made me want to play for this guy for all four years of my remaining basketball athletic eligibility.  Problem is he probably will tactfully suggest  that I waive that so he could get younger players on the roster.  ;D

Here's the deal. He recruited a very young team by design. He will rely on his ability to retain most, if not all,  to build a solid unit going forward. They all know they are young. He's told them that. He's also told them about the young guys who had to wait at Gonzaga to have their turn.

Prediction:  He is creating a team of Kisers at all 5 positions. Watch out. Maybe not this season, but watch out.

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 25, 2023, 06:20:11 PMHere's the deal. He recruited a very young team by design. He will rely on his ability to retain most, if not all,  to build a solid unit going forward. They all know they are young. He's told them that. He's also told themmabout the young guys who had to wait at Gonzaga to have their turn.

I don't know if coach Powell will be a master strategist but he already looks like a master salesman and motivator.  :thumbsup:

tiny707

Well, preachers are salesmen. Selling the Good News.

wh

covufan

This picture was shared on the Facebook page of Illinois HS Glory Days website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usc4valpo

Quinn Buckner may have been the GOAT in Illinois HS basketball.

crusadermoe

I think you were pointing out Roger Powell Sr.  I saw that and googled around a bit.  It sounds like he was deadly from outside, and before the 3-pointer.

Agreed big-time on this guy being a motivator and salesman.  You can find assistants to help bench strategy if he's still learning that.  But you just can't teach his intangibles. He will be up and out in five years or less, but I predict a lot of recruitment and game excitement in years 3-5.

vu84v2

Quote from: usc4valpo on December 22, 2023, 10:09:34 AM
Quinn Buckner may have been the GOAT in Illinois HS basketball.

Isiah Thomas. Glenn (Doc) Rivers. Dwayne Wade could also be considered (but he blossomed late).

David81

Quote from: covufan on December 22, 2023, 08:56:59 AM
This picture was shared on the Facebook page of Illinois HS Glory Days website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hicks of Willowbrook would opt for football in college, play LB at Illinois, be drafted by the Bears, and precede Mike Singletary as Da Bears starting MLB.

valpopal

Today is Coach Powell's birthday, but I think he got his biggest gift a little early last night as this moment of honest emotion displays.

[tweet]1746698897739719122[/tweet]