• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

We have a coach! Roger Powell Jr

Started by vok22, April 07, 2023, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

What are some questions to ask Roger at press conference?
1.) Cubs or Sox?
2.) Deep dish or thin crust?
3.) Dipped, wet or dry?
4.) Sweet or hot?
5.) When are you taking team to see Adam at Bulls game?

vu84v2

Quote from: tiny707 on April 11, 2023, 09:52:22 PM
1.) Cubs or Sox?
3.) Dipped, wet or dry?
4.) Sweet or hot?

6) When will we get home games against Gonzaga, Illinois or Kansas (Self recruited Powell to Illinois)
7) Do you expect Valpo to build a new area to display the forthcoming trophies?
8) Can you still dunk?
9) Who would win a game of one-on-one between you and Bryce if you played today?

historyman

Quote from: vu84v2 on April 11, 2023, 10:37:51 PM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 11, 2023, 09:52:22 PM
1.) Cubs or Sox?
3.) Dipped, wet or dry?
4.) Sweet or hot?
5a.) Will you sing with Stacey King when he sings the "Nationwide is on your side" jingle?

6) When will we get home games against Gonzaga, Illinois or Kansas (Self recruited Powell to Illinois)
7) Do you expect Valpo to build a new area to display the forthcoming trophies?
8) Can you still dunk?
9) Who would win a game of one-on-one between you and Bryce if you played today?
10) How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpo64

One more, historyman:  boxers or briefs?

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on April 12, 2023, 07:19:35 AM
One more, historyman:  boxers or briefs?

Why is it important to give to the fund for the enhancement of ARC facilities?

I think so many of you need to hear Coach Powell's answer on that one.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUSWIM08-12

Did Padilla just say a new facility is coming in his remarks ?? I think he did ! Hopefully it's not 2030 before they start on it...

wh

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/1646181389367406594?s=20

A must-read article! Is Roger actually thinking national championship at Valpo?! That's the unfinished business he referred to?!

vu72

What wonderful news conference!  We've got the right guy!  Exciting!  Just Exciting!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Just Sayin

Ya get the feeling Powell wants nothing to do with a Virginia-style offense?  😂

wh

Roger made a statement that new assistant coaches will be bringing players with them. Could Roger also be bringing players with him? 3 Gonzaga players recently entered the portal - a 5-star and 2 4-stars. It looks like all three have 2 years of eligibility left. None saw a lot of playing time this year, but Gonzaga was a veteran Top 5 team.

Sounds a little crazy, but then again maybe not.  Go play for a coach they know, who is going to install their offense, and who is undoubtedly casting a big vision about other key players, conference championships and beyond, instant notoriety, national story, etc. Roger is the pied piper, after all. Dream big or go home. ;)

https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Basketball/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24317

tiny707

WH, that would be the dream. Don't underestimate The Rev. Add Brandon Neuman and GCU transfer Kobie Knox.

David81

One of the best things about Coach Powell's bold, oversized vision and goals for the MBB program is that he's indirectly telling us that he's not planning on bailing on Valpo at the first sign of success. I dearly hope that's true. I was ready to settle for a promising candidate who regarded VU as being the next rung up the ladder.

Just Sayin

Quote from: David81 on April 15, 2023, 04:25:27 PM
One of the best things about Coach Powell's bold, oversized vision and goals for the MBB program is that he's indirectly telling us that he's not planning on bailing on Valpo at the first sign of success. I dearly hope that's true. I was ready to settle for a promising candidate who regarded VU as being the next rung up the ladder.

One of Valpo's previous head coaches was bold and said something to the effect that we don't just want to make it to the final four, we want to win it. He did that and more at another university. Powell seems to have that same boldness and fire that Scott had.

beacons23

HaHa
If...and its a big if...despite the enthusiasm that we will win....He will take the next biggest job

historyman

link=topic=4480.msg148742#msg148742 date=1681759843]
Gonzaga men's basketball to hire R-Jay Barsh as assistant coach

https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/basketball/gonzaga-mens-basketball-to-hire-r-jay-barsh-as-assistant-coach

Quote from: beacons23 on April 17, 2023, 08:26:02 AM
HaHa
If...and its a big if...despite the enthusiasm that we will win....He will take the next biggest job

So when Powell is successful and does move on, which is what he has already done when he moved with Bryce to Vanderbilt, will R-Jay Barsh become the next Valpo coach.

Is it like hiring a "Few Good Men?"

valpo64

Day of Giving totaled $1,083,920 which included 255 new givers.  Of the total over $170,000 was given towards MBB.  That sure sounds good but I wonder how these totals compare ot recent years numbers.  The MBB total would seem to br a result of Roger's hiring or maybe not.

tiny707

The Rev lost all his contacts when he got his new phone. May be some reason for delay of recruits. Gonzaga probably owned the phone.

valpopal

Quote from: tiny707 on April 22, 2023, 07:04:14 AM
The Rev lost all his contacts when he got his new phone. May be some reason for delay of recruits. Gonzaga probably owned the phone.
[tweet]1649731640829128705[/tweet]
It seems we are not off to an auspicious start. This error is not a good look. I have been in the same situation of switching phones when ending employment at an institution, but I made it a priority to copy thousands of emails and contacts before leaving. It took about a half hour. Nevertheless, I am still in the stage of giving the benefit of the doubt, and I hope this ultimately doesn't negatively affect the recruiting process.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on April 22, 2023, 08:33:53 AM
Quote from: tiny707 on April 22, 2023, 07:04:14 AM
[tweet]1649731640829128705[/tweet]
It seems we are not off to an auspicious start. This error is not a good look. I have been in the same situation of switching phones when ending employment at an institution, but I made it a priority to copy thousands of emails and contacts before leaving. It took about a half hour. Nevertheless, I am still in the stage of giving the benefit of the doubt, and I hope this ultimately doesn't negatively affect the recruiting process.

I think this may just be a ploy to get some recruits to call you, I'll bet he gets a "Few" more contacts.

valpolaw

I'm no tech expert but wouldn't simply having iCloud transfer all his contacts, texts, etc to his new phone? Assuming he had an iPhone.

tiny707

If Gonzaga owned his phone they own his contacts. Just like a laptop. Probably switched it off once he resigned. Had to follow up with his recruits.

tiny707

Is the food and restaurants better since last time The Rev lived in Valpo?

crusader05

Yes. Generally everything about the downtown is better and has kept improving.