• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Merchandise

Started by tiny707, April 20, 2023, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

One thing I do hope Roger brings back is the coaches wearing suits and ties on the bench, no more of the polos, athletic pullover jackets, and khakis or workout pants. Be respectful of your job title, not some marketing campaign.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on June 13, 2023, 09:57:45 PM
One thing I do hope Roger brings back is the coaches wearing suits and ties on the bench, no more of the polos, athletic pullover jackets, and khakis or workout pants. Be respectful of your job title, not some marketing campaign.

I think that ship has sailed.  Every coach seems to have lost the ties.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo95

FWIW, I'm fine with Brown and Gold. However, my preference would be to use a maroon rather than a true brown. Maroon is technically shade of red yet looks way better on uniforms and promotional materials. 

Pgmado

Quote from: valporun on June 13, 2023, 09:57:45 PM

Not getting the toothpaste back in the tube on this one.

David81

Wins will make the colors look just fine.

While I understand the resentment about the nickname, mascot, etc., I think that all of this would be softening if the program hadn't felt like it was heading in the wrong direction.

wh

Quote from: David81 on June 18, 2023, 01:40:25 PM
Wins will make the colors look just fine.

While I understand the resentment about the nickname, mascot, etc., I think that all of this would be softening if the program hadn't felt like it was heading in the wrong direction.

As I said at the time, my biggest lesson learned from the Crusader fiasco was the realization that an element of Valpo's faculty was actively engaged in the promotion of a divisive far left agenda, using the Crusader to divide and destroy. The same group is currently engaged in a war with their President, trying to destroy his image, reputation, and career in the process. Their divisive methods are a clear and present danger to Valparaiso University.

So, moving on is fine, but forgetting how it happened and who was behind it would be a serious mistake. It's never time to move on from that.

VULB#62

WH, what you ascribe to left/right is actually more like the centuries-old faculty/management loggerhead. Admin says black.  Faculty knee-jerks white. And vice versa. There has always been that adversarial relationship. It's  not so much political as philosophical. But, I relinquish the floor to posters who understand academia better than I.

But you are right IMO in asserting that the margin for error and the time allowance for eventual agreement these days is not like in the past.  The acceleration of change is everyone's problem.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on June 18, 2023, 07:34:28 PM
As I said at the time, my biggest lesson learned from the Crusader fiasco was the realization that an element of Valpo's faculty was actively engaged in the promotion of a divisive far left agenda, using the Crusader to divide and destroy. The same group is currently engaged in a war with their President, trying to destroy his image, reputation, and career in the process. Their divisive methods are a clear and present danger to Valparaiso University.

So, moving on is fine, but forgetting how it happened and who was behind it would be a serious mistake. It's never time to move on from that.
To continue your message about not "forgetting," I don't understand the logic in separating the faculty from Pres. Padilla on dropping the Crusader. It was Padilla's decision. He was announced as incoming president on December 2, 2020, and the Crusader name change was announced February 11, 2021. I assure you the transition did not occur without his approval. Also, you can characterize an element of the faculty as "far left," but if you do so you must include Padilla as well. After all, don't forget his political history, which includes working for Lori Lightfoot.

tiny707

I come on here to get away from the far left attacks. Let's stick with hoops.

valpo64

Let's face it...Padilla walked into a situation where the deal was already stacked and great pressure was already being applied.  I can understand, although I don't agree, that he wouldn't want to fight a element of his new School.  That element was very vocal and appeared to be pushing foir a real confrontation. If the President could appease that radical element and with no apparent real pushback, he could begin his Presidency on a rather smooth ride.  To me it appeared that his most vocal segment was being led by the woman who was the Interim President and the person who could or should be most helpful for the new incoming President

In any event it is over now so let's move on with our 2 dogs and a beacon showing them the way around.  Isn't it great to be able to say with the folks at Butler that we too have a dog mascot...in fact we still are beating them because we have 2!  "Bow Wow...go Beacons!"

vu84v2

valpo64 makes really good points here. I would add that President Padilla may have wanted to get past an issue that would have sucked up a lot of attention when there were more urgent issues to address regarding enrollment, financial sustainability, etc.

valpo64

Thanks and well taken and right on the money, vu84!

wh

An inside look at "The Home of The Valparaiso University Crusaders" earlier today:

https://twitter.com/JPLindsey10/status/1671537412348993538?s=20

NotBryceDrew

We definitely badly need some facility upgrades but Hilltop really looks good and much better than many of the other valley team's practice facilities that I see post on social media

VULB#62

At least in the little island that is the practice facility, the team that practices there is called the Crusaders.  See the banner in the background before clicking ::).

Actually, if our team plays a bit schizophrenic/bipolar this season, it could be because when you run the video, there is also a banner with Beacons on it.  :o

valporun

I want to say they left "Home of the Valparaiso University Crusaders" as part of our campus history. For the most part, Hilltop is strictly used to basketball practices, maybe even some baseball/softball work, but not sure that intramurals uses it. All the same, it's part of the University/Campus history, nothing to do with wars or fighting.

VALPO LI

Quote from: valporun on June 24, 2023, 10:11:31 AM
I want to say they left "Home of the Valparaiso University Crusaders" as part of our campus history. For the most part, Hilltop is strictly used to basketball practices, maybe even some baseball/softball work, but not sure that intramurals uses it. All the same, it's part of the University/Campus history, nothing to do with wars or fighting.
Agreed!!!!
The walls and halls are full of history at Hilltop. No one should take that away.  I love how the University embraces it at Hilltop Gym.
Shine on Vu

valpo04

Brian Flynn, the creator of the Valpo logos and icons we use on this board has created a t-shirt with a cool design up for sale on Cotton Bureau, if anyone is interested: https://cottonbureau.com/p/CAYZJX/shirt/light-it-up#/17705462/tee-men-standard-tee-premium-heather-tri-blend-s

KreitzerSTL

Yeah, I would love a Blaze and Beacon bobblehead set. They gave away or sold Victory Bells a while ago, and I treasure that little piece of campus in my office.

I have a bobblehead Crusader, too. Get me a bobblehead Uhlan and I'll have the set!

tiny707

Chris Lembcke on Facebook can make any Bobblehead you want. Does great work. Lives in Terre Haute, IN. Custom work.

Dr. T

While Coach Powell may not be wearing a suit, he oozes swagger. He connects with the current generation of college-age folks. He's got style & substance. ML, despite his age, came off stuffy. A Stanford boy, if you will. Roger is real. He's rooted. He's relevant. I've said it before and will again; I'm all in. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But ... I'm ready to embrace this new chapter. I haven't been more excited about VU hoops since the Drew era. Oh, and I'd be *Shocked* if we don't see a high-energy approach on the court. Fewer set plays and more high-tempo. A more fun product on the court!!! Letting guys play.

tiny707

Anything fun or new for sale for holiday gifts? Jerseys for NIL money? Gritty shirts? See the Light shirts? Beacon Up
Shirts?

historyman

Quote from: tiny707 on December 03, 2023, 12:35:36 PM
Anything fun or new for sale for holiday gifts? Jerseys for NIL money? Gritty shirts? See the Light shirts? Beacon Up
Shirts?

The bookstore is having a sale on Valpo bed apparrel

https://www.redbubble.com/i/throw-blanket/Valpo-University-of-Valparaiso-by-kkosmicki/76046724.16D0B?country_code=US&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm_aclaD0ggMVvxStBh3KEARxEAYYBiABEgK0ffD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Product features

Drape your bed, your couch, or yourself in soft, fluffy art
100% polyester fleece
Front features edge-to-edge design sublimation printed for you when you order
Reverse is off-white
Machine washable

Don't you want "VALPO" printed on your bed?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

tiny707

Need a deal with Obvious Shirts like Bradley just got. Good stuff.