• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Season - General

Started by wh, June 12, 2023, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I lurk on the MVCFANS board. There is nothing about Valpo xfers or signings on it. Let's keep it that way, OK? 😉

VULB#62

We've got an almost complete roster.  On paper, these 12 players look athletic and say all the right stuff. But, with the exception of Barrett and Palm, they've never suited up for a Valpo game together.

Now, the fun begins. Here's the roster sorted by position groups (speculatively based mainly on TVB stories):

Point Guard
DeAveiro (Jr) 6'0"
Weatherspoon (Fr) 6'4"
Williamson (Fr) 6'1"

Combo Guard/Forward
Barrett (Sr) 6'6"
Stafford (Jr)  6'2"
Bamba (Fr) 6'6"

Small Forward
Edwards (So) 6'6"
Sepp (Fr) 6'7"

Power Forward
Palm (Sr) 6'10"
Ajiboye (So) 6'8"
Schwieger (Fr) 6'9"

Center
Manyang (Fr) 6'11

Unknowns:  Roger's system (except we know he wants to play fast with lock down D), the maturity of these young men (8 of the 12 are freshmen and sophomores), any injuries that are still healing, the actual athleticism of our guys in comparison to other MVC teams, and the actual shooting, rebounding and defensive skills of our players in comparison to other MVC teams.

The fun $64,000 question that usually consumes us forum members going into every new season:  At this way too early date, anybody willing to speculate on what Roger's rotation might be on opening night?

tiny707

I don't think he starts any true freshman so here are my five:

1.) De Dario.
2.) Stafford.
3.) Edwards.
4.) Ajiboye.
5.) Manyoung.

Stafford and Edwards will be the main two/leaders.

vu72

Quote from: tiny707 on June 14, 2023, 10:25:25 AM
I don't think he starts any true freshman so here are my five:

1.) De Dario.
2.) Stafford.
3.) Edwards.
4.) Ajiboye.
5.) Manyoung.

Stafford and Edwards will be the main two/leaders.

Palm is plenty big to play the 5 if you only want upper classmen. But I think one of the freshman may just be one of the few to start every game from the get-go, ala Alec Peters.  My guess would be Schwieger or Weatherspoon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 14, 2023, 07:26:07 AManybody willing to speculate on what Roger's rotation might be on opening night?

:o  Not a chance! I already jump at far too many of these opportunities to look stupid! I can't even put a face next to most of these names. Why don't you give it a go and we will we resurrect it as a quote on opening night?  ::)

David81

After reading all the excitement about these new additions, I want to say that the odds are strong that when Arch Madness arrives, the rotation will be almost all freshman and sophomores, with Stafford the "veteran" of the group and as many as three freshman starters.

But then I ask, is this being overly optimistic about a roster assembled largely after other schools settled on theirs? Are Coach Powell & Co. that good about finding the overlooked diamonds in the rough?

Also: What an opportunity for DeAveiro, Barrett, and Palm to show that they're not mere holdovers from the previous regime. Perhaps another year of maturity and the new coaching staff will bring out new, exciting aspects of their games. I'll offer a bet that at least one of these guys really surprises everyone in a good way.

crusadermoe

Let the schedule speculation begin?    its almost that time.   Some return games are probably known if I recall some messages going back a few months.

vok22

Quote from: David81 on June 14, 2023, 11:09:49 AM
After reading all the excitement about these new additions, I want to say that the odds are strong that when Arch Madness arrives, the rotation will be almost all freshman and sophomores, with Stafford the "veteran" of the group and as many as three freshman starters.

But then I ask, is this being overly optimistic about a roster assembled largely after other schools settled on theirs? Are Coach Powell & Co. that good about finding the overlooked diamonds in the rough?

Also: What an opportunity for DeAveiro, Barrett, and Palm to show that they're not mere holdovers from the previous regime. Perhaps another year of maturity and the new coaching staff will bring out new, exciting aspects of their games. I'll offer a bet that at least one of these guys really surprises everyone in a good way.

I think there probably is some truth to the fact that a lot of D1 schools were hitting the transfer portal hard as opposed to recruiting Seniors and Post grad players. I would expect there to be a larger pool of high school talent not being signed due to the transfer portal, so I am optimistic.

Weatherspoon did have a visit  to Texas AM and reportedly had interest from Maryland, as well as garnered offers from 2 other D1 mid majors, so there must be some talent there.

Some of these guys will definitely end up sucking. He had to build out a roster quickly with scraps, but I think Weatherspoon and Schweiger are two solid pieces to build around. They both seem like they fit Powells game plan, are talented enough to play in the MVC, and have a high enough basketball IQ to be studs. Justus McNair, coming in next year, also fits in this category for me. He was not really a diamond in the rough, people thought his recruitment was going to explode this year. I would expect to see more splash comittments like his in the future when Powell has more than 2 months to recruit.

I like stafford as a more senior addition. He'll definitely get solid minutes if not start. Experience and proven that he can play. Not a star, but a good role player.

Manyang will have to develop a bit, but if he does he could be really good. If he doesn't, he might never see the court.

Ajiboye was more of a "fit" piece in my mind. Athletic big that can run the court and play defense. Sounds like exactly what Powell wants, but don't know if he's actually any good.

Jaxon Edwards is a wild card. Lot of talent but didn't get any playing time last year (I understand the coaching situation, but if he was a stud they would've found time to play him). I think, like Ajiboye, he a a fit piece. Athletic, high potential on defense and can run a fast game. Remains to be seen if he's skilled enough with a high enough basketball IQ.

The last newcomer, Sepp, I have no idea on. On paper he looks great. Undertandable why he'd be overlooked coming out of Estonia. We also don't know the competition level that he has been facing though. He and Schweiger remind me a lot of each other honestly, but I think Schweiger has played more impressive competition.

All in all, I think Weatherspoon, Schweiger, McNair, and maybe Sepp/Manyang are the players we should be looking at to really take off. Obviously, not all of them will, but I think they have the highest potentials.

David81

Quote from: vok22 on June 14, 2023, 12:37:25 PM

I think there probably is some truth to the fact that a lot of D1 schools were hitting the transfer portal hard as opposed to recruiting Seniors and Post grad players. I would expect there to be a larger pool of high school talent not being signed due to the transfer portal, so I am optimistic.

Weatherspoon did have a visit  to Texas AM and reportedly had interest from Maryland, as well as garnered offers from 2 other D1 mid majors, so there must be some talent there.

Some of these guys will definitely end up sucking. He had to build out a roster quickly with scraps, but I think Weatherspoon and Schweiger are two solid pieces to build around. They both seem like they fit Powells game plan, are talented enough to play in the MVC, and have a high enough basketball IQ to be studs. Justus McNair, coming in next year, also fits in this category for me. He was not really a diamond in the rough, people thought his recruitment was going to explode this year. I would expect to see more splash comittments like his in the future when Powell has more than 2 months to recruit.

I like stafford as a more senior addition. He'll definitely get solid minutes if not start. Experience and proven that he can play. Not a star, but a good role player.

Manyang will have to develop a bit, but if he does he could be really good. If he doesn't, he might never see the court.

Ajiboye was more of a "fit" piece in my mind. Athletic big that can run the court and play defense. Sounds like exactly what Powell wants, but don't know if he's actually any good.

Jaxon Edwards is a wild card. Lot of talent but didn't get any playing time last year (I understand the coaching situation, but if he was a stud they would've found time to play him). I think, like Ajiboye, he a a fit piece. Athletic, high potential on defense and can run a fast game. Remains to be seen if he's skilled enough with a high enough basketball IQ.

The last newcomer, Sepp, I have no idea on. On paper he looks great. Undertandable why he'd be overlooked coming out of Estonia. We also don't know the competition level that he has been facing though. He and Schweiger remind me a lot of each other honestly, but I think Schweiger has played more impressive competition.

All in all, I think Weatherspoon, Schweiger, McNair, and maybe Sepp/Manyang are the players we should be looking at to really take off. Obviously, not all of them will, but I think they have the highest potentials.

Thanks for your rundown. I think this makes for a sense of fun anticipation about the first roster that the new coaching staff has built at a late juncture in the recruiting process.

So....without claiming any of the deep expertise of some you folks here, I'll toss out a speculation that the ceiling for 23-24 is a group that gels during the conference schedule and stages a surprise or two during Arch Madness.

valpo64

I will be amazed if DeAvieiro gets much playing time.  He was not able to get to the basket under pressure, couldn't shoot the 3 and could not stay with bigger offensive guys when playing defense.  However I am always ready for surprises.  In any event this year should be fun and interesting.

VULB#62

64, thanks for the correction. It's DeAveiro; not DeDario,  I corrected my initial post, but can't change the embedded quotes. My apologies Darius.

wh

Quote from: David81 on June 14, 2023, 01:39:18 PM
So....without claiming any of the deep expertise of some you folks here, I'll toss out a speculation that the ceiling for 23-24 is a group that gels during the conference schedule and stages a surprise or two during Arch Madness.

I agree that there is every reason to think that a team with 10 new players, only 3 returning returning players, none of whom played key roles last season, and no seasoned D-1 veterans will take a very long time to gel and peak. Hearing it, however, is like nails on a chalkboard.

I can't think of a season since we joined the MVC that Matt and Luke didn't say exactly that, regardless of how young or old the team was, whether we had injuries or didn't, how easy or hard the OOC schedule was, whether we had momentum going into the tournament or didn't. Add to that the same lame excuses after early season losses that we haven't had an opportunity to focus on defense yet, or we haven't opened up the playbook yet, or played zone in practice yet.

I know I'm rambling, so let me sum it up this way. While I agree about taking a long time to gel and I'm good with that, I would give anything to finally see a team that looks like it's prepared to perform as a collective unit from game-1, not game-21.

VULB#62

Yes.  Agreed.  B-b-b-but......

Murray proved something like that could be done last season after losing something like 10 transfers out.   In an early season MTT they beat Texas A&M and Tulsa, losing to UMASS by only 3.  They went 17-15 on the season and, more importantly, 11-9 in the MVC in year one. Sadly, they beat us twice in the regular season, both in OT, then killed us at Arch Madness.  If Small had any reservations about pulling the plug going into Arch Madness, that performance sealed the change.

So it's possible. Man, I sure would settle for go nuts over a similar first season under Roger.

JD24

I don't think any comp to Murray St is etched in nearly any sense of reality. Murray State's best player last year was a preseason all MVC and a 4th year player after playing 3 years and scoring over 1000 pts for Stetson. Valpo should recall him quite vividly.

MSU's second best player played 82 games in Div II at Queens and was that teams best player.

Their third best player had played significant time at Belmont; The next guy was their one holdover who provided quality minutes.

Murray State used the portal to bring in seasoned players who could be counted on to play well. They also had(have) a very experienced head coach.

Valpo has brought in a bunch of guys who really have no collegiate experience and the players from their own program coming back don't appear to have a whole lot to offer. This is all with a first year coach.

Other than "you never know" I don't think there should be any expectation that Valpo is going to do anything near what Murray State did last year.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on June 14, 2023, 09:50:12 PMI don't think there should be any expectation that Valpo is going to do anything near what Murray State did last year.

Probably true, but...consider what Roger is building here.  In the previous several seasons we have relied to an large degree on one-and-dones brought in via the portal.  That calls for instant bonding and although Matt was fond of telling us how close his team was last year, that closeness didn't carry over to the court.

Now let's take a look at our current makeup.  We may be the only team in the country with five freshman and a team that will not have a single player out of eligibility at the end of the season.  Does that guarantee us success down the line?  Of course not, but if we look back at teams who have played together for a long time (think Rowdy and Alec or Bryce's teams) that worked out pretty well. Do we have a Rowdy or Alec or Bryce among our freshman?  Only time will tell.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: vu72 on June 15, 2023, 08:08:55 AM
Quote from: JD24 on June 14, 2023, 09:50:12 PMI don't think there should be any expectation that Valpo is going to do anything near what Murray State did last year.
Probably true, but...consider what Roger is building here.  In the previous several seasons we have relied to an large degree on one-and-dones brought in via the portal.  That calls for instant bonding and although Matt was fond of telling us how close his team was last year, that closeness didn't carry over to the court. Now let's take a look at our current makeup.  We may be the only team in the country with five freshman and a team that will not have a single player out of eligibility at the end of the season.  Does that guarantee us success down the line?  Of course not, but if we look back at teams who have played together for a long time (think Rowdy and Alec or Bryce's teams) that worked out pretty well. Do we have a Rowdy or Alec or Bryce among our freshman?  Only time will tell.
I don't disagree. My point was a comp to Murray States path to a good first MVC season is highly unlikely to be duplicated.

Pgmado

I think people need to prepare themselves for the fact that Valparaiso will absolutely be picked to finish last this year. I'd be shocked if a single voter picks them to finish higher than last.

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on June 15, 2023, 01:59:40 PM
I think people need to prepare themselves for the fact that Valparaiso will absolutely be picked to finish last this year. I'd be shocked if a single voter picks them to finish higher than last.

Hate to say it, but Valpo fans are unfortunately used to be picked last.  This last school year we were picked to finish last in softball, baseball, Women's golf and I'm sure last or second last in a few other sports like women's basketball.

vok22

It's hard for me to really have any expectations for this year with the amount of freshmen we have. I was hoping we'd round out the last 3 spots with some grad transfers, but 2 of those have been filled by freshmen. powell is thinking long term with this and if that means 5 or 6 freshman, that's what he's going to do. Probably will be better for us in the long term than the plug and chug of transfers that were used to. That being said, I would still be discouraged if we do finish last this year. Even if we are the youngest team in college basketball, somebody as good of a coach as Powell as advertised should be able to get this team out of last.

rogerwilco

They said the same thing about the 1989 Cleveland Indians, but Jake Taylor, Rick Vaughn, Roger Dorn, Pedro Serrano and Willie Mays Hayes led them to the American League Championship Series.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on June 15, 2023, 02:33:09 PM

Hate to say it, but Valpo fans are unfortunately used to be picked last.  This last school year we were picked to finish last in softball, baseball, Women's golf and I'm sure last or second last in a few other sports like women's basketball.

I don't know about the other sports, but men's bb hasn't earned the right to expect any positive feelings from anyone. We've had exactly 1 feel good moment when we made it to the league championship game, which I'm sure no one remembers but us. Otherwise, we've been soaking up league tournament shares for 6 consecutive years and contributing nothing in return. Undoubtedly, the overwhelming majority of us would say we're happy with the move to the MVC despite our miserable showing, but to the rest of the programs adding Valpo has to be considered a major mistake.

All that to say, today is a new day and a new beginning for Valpo men's bb. It's an exciting time, and I'm enjoying every minute.

valpo64

One important thing that I have not heard mentioned is that this is Roger Powell's first head coaching job.  Granted, he has had great experience in assisting some quality head coaches but nevertheless this his first rodeo. There will be a learning curve for the new players AND the new Coach.