• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2023-24 Men's Basketball Season - General

Started by wh, June 12, 2023, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on September 24, 2023, 08:46:10 AM
Quote from: tiny707 on September 23, 2023, 09:55:53 AM
I'd be happy with a 9th place finish....
Chalk this up as one of the things I never thought I'd hear said about the VU basketball program.  :(
9 out 12 is better, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on September 24, 2023, 05:07:04 PM
Chalk this up as one of the things I never thought I'd hear said about the VU basketball program.  :(
Still not a reason to be "happy"!

VULB#62

Just for record in this discussion, all of the basketball publications cited by posters on MVCFans have Valpo at 12th. There is absolutely zero discussion that includes anything about the Beacons.  So...... we are in a great position to sneak up up on the consensus 11th, 10th and 9th teams and wrap up that coveted 9th place.

Seriously, I believe what I just wrote, and I even think it could be a notch or maybe two better with a little luck.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on September 24, 2023, 08:28:03 PM
Quote from: covufan on September 24, 2023, 05:07:04 PM
Still not a reason to be "happy"!
Anything but a top half of MVC and chance at dancing is a let down. We've been let down for a few seasons

Happy is dancing in March.

tiny707

I think what we all really want is a Happy Ending in St. Louis. We came close once but were too exhausted to finish the job on Sunday.

covufan

Quote from: tiny707 on September 24, 2023, 11:37:53 PM
I think what we all really want is a Happy Ending in St. Louis. We came close once but were too exhausted to finish the job on Sunday.
Happy endings are always preferred

Chairback

Has anyone paid for their season tickets yet?  I got the renewal questionnaire, but nothing else nor on payment yet.  First game is Nov 1.

I paid my Purdue season tickets months ago.   

humbleopinion

Quote from: Chairback on September 25, 2023, 12:22:06 PM
Has anyone paid for their season tickets yet?  I got the renewal questionnaire, but nothing else nor on payment yet.  First game is Nov 1.

I paid my Purdue season tickets months ago.   

I'm in the same situation (other than buying Purdue tix).
Beamin' Beacons

valpo95

Quote from: Chairback on September 22, 2023, 04:48:28 PM
None of these polls mean anything,  certainly preseason.  All speculation and no real insight on how any team will do.  It's silly to even read them. 

What I do know, and do not need to speculate, is we have a really good coach.  With a great background and a really really great staff.   One that we have not had in some time.  On top of that an AD that is strong.  Good things are going to happen and the program is moving in the right direction.   No poll needed.   

Given all of the turnover of coaches and players, getting picked last makes perfect sense.

I also agree with Chairback about the good coach, staff and AD. At this point, rather than the polls, it would be interesting to me to find out how good the coaching staff thinks the team will be. These are guys that have some experience evaluating basketball talent.

wh

Excellent PO Victory Bell interview with Coach Powell. Roger discussed his early impressions about every player on the roster, his hopes for the season, etc. Highly inspiring.

David81

I get all of the projections. This is an expansion team-like roster. My personal hope -- without any evidence to based it on -- is that somehow VU manages a .500 record and snags a win in Arch Madness. But I'll take a team that plays hard and smart to each buzzer and gives everyone reason to be excited about the future.

tiny707

They will be better than the Chicago Bears, have a better culture and play hard.

VULB#62

I listened intently to Roger's interview.  First point:  he went for youth and a long term approach. Second: he  has created a belief that, over time, our kids will stay the course. Third, if I was on the roster, I would definitely believe, and would stick around and do whatever to help build the program.

VALPO LI

Quote from: wh on September 25, 2023, 04:29:19 PM
Excellent PO Victory Bell interview with Coach Powell. Roger discussed his early impressions about every player on the roster, his hopes for the season, etc. Highly inspiring.
Totally agree wh, it was a good one.  I hope PO's next interview will be about the teams non conference/conference schedule, potential future rivalries, and takes on bringing the band and students back to the ARC again.  The past interviews with Luke Gore were always fun to listen to.  Excited to hear how this new chapter in Valpo Basketball will be revealed.
Shine on Vu

valpo64

I agree with VALPO LI in that every effort should be made to have the Band back for all home games.  It appears that we are trying to  create a new and exciting atmosphere for the games and if they are serious about it the Band should be a part of it.  If it means that some compensation should be in order to get the musicians there, so be it.  It is great to hear a student band to add to the excitment of the game.

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on September 26, 2023, 08:18:45 AM
I agree with VALPO LI in that every effort should be made to have the Band back for all home games.  It appears that we are trying to  create a new and exciting atmosphere for the games and if they are serious about it the Band should be a part of it.  If it means that some compensation should be in order to get the musicians there, so be it.  It is great to hear a student band to add to the excitment of the game.

The band will be nice but winning is the key to attendance, or at least an exciting product.  Witness the volleyball team.  Over 800 at the game Friday night. The women's basketball team didn't get anywhere near 800 for any game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusadermoe

I see that we caught a decent break in the conference chedule.  Nearly all of our road games are Wednesdays during the peak weeks for student turnout.   

Our bunch of Saturday mid-season home games will be an advantage IF.....AND only If.....the students turn out and bring energy.

We will take every break we can get.

tjjvalpo

I spoke to ticket office today and an email should going out season ticket renewals tomorrow or Thursday. They had to wait for the conference schedule to be announced and then of course they were dealing with homecoming weekend.

wh

Quote from: tjjvalpo on September 26, 2023, 08:49:17 PM
I spoke to ticket office today and an email should going out season ticket renewals tomorrow or Thursday. They had to wait for the conference schedule to be announced and then of course they were dealing with homecoming weekend.

Everything operates slower in the south. Valpo's athletic department would fit right in down there.

AB

If the team is winning, band participation will tick up a bit, but the real numbers in the band are a result of not having an associate director of bands full time to run the pep band, bring back the marching band, recruit incoming Freshman. Both ensembles bring back revenue to the university. Game tickets and concession purchased by attending parents of band members etc. Offered as a class, rehearse 3 days a week get 1 credit, some stipend amount per game etc.. The university has it's priorities and things to budget for. Full stop

valpo95

Quote from: AB on September 28, 2023, 11:49:40 PM
If the team is winning, band participation will tick up a bit, but the real numbers in the band are a result of not having an associate director of bands full time to run the pep band, bring back the marching band, recruit incoming Freshman. Both ensembles bring back revenue to the university. Game tickets and concession purchased by attending parents of band members etc. Offered as a class, rehearse 3 days a week get 1 credit, some stipend amount per game etc.. The university has it's priorities and things to budget for. Full stop

VU has not had even a part-time faculty director of bands in place since 1990-91. There have been some paid student directors.

VULB#62

It is a bit ironic (?) incongruous (?) that a university associated with the Lutheran church and its historic traditions, a denomination that places a high value on music as a component of worship, has allowed music as a component of education to wither on the vine.  I would have thought that a robust music program would be another attractive element in student recruitment, let alone adding to the variety of campus life.

Valpo2010

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2023, 10:33:09 AM
It is a bit ironic (?) incongruous (?) that a university associated with the Lutheran church and its historic traditions, a denomination that places a high value on music as a component of worship, has allowed music as a component of education to wither on the vine.  I would have thought that a robust music program would be another attractive element in student recruitment, let alone adding to the variety of campus life.

As an alumni of Valpo's music department, I can assure you that there is a robust music department at the university, including an exceptional degree track in Church Music.  What there is not, is an active and robust connection between that department and the athletic department.  Whether the fault for this lies with the Music Department or the Athletic Department, I have heard different stories over the years and don't know what's true. 

In the reality of this day and age, if there is a desire to fund a decent student pep band, it will likely only be accomplished through offering it as a credited course (which I imagine would require Music Department involvement and oversight) or through paying the student musicians. 

VULB#62

That's reassuring, 2010.  My comment was based on what I'm hearing here and what I haven't seen on my admittedly sporadic visits to the campus. 

But you pushed me to check the VU website under Music Department. I found the Pep Band listed under "Extracurricular Ensembles" sponsored jointly by the Athletic and Music departments. The other listed ensembles were Bell Choir, Matins Choir and Sweet Wine.  I was hoping to see more instrumental ensembles, like Wind and String Ensembles, maybe a university jazz band, perhaps a university orchestra, but was disappointed that there were none. 

crusader05

VULB,

That's just the extra curriculars which are usually student run/non-credit. They do have a jazz and orchestra if you look under Ensembles

https://www.valpo.edu/music/ensembles/