• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2025

Started by valpopal, June 18, 2023, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Phoenix Gill (son of NBA vet Kendall Gill), a 6'3" guard in the class of '25, has received an offer:

JD24

Rising Junior? Very physical

Usually sophomores aren't all that physical. Tend to back off the upperclassmen. Some don't develop the physical style until senior year.

This kid is impressive. Much moreso than the Bynum kid.

valpopal

"You get an offer...you get an offer...and you get an offer!"
Three more offers today for the class of '25

Braylon Mullins, 6'5" SG from Greenfield IN
Jaymen Townsend, 6'6" SF from Marion IN
Nick Allen, 6'11" C from Bourbonnais IL

wh

VULB#62

:coffeetime:   Geez, it like herding cats trying to keep up with all the 2025 offers going out.

According to PO's Twitter site this appears to be the list so far:

Jason Jakstys
Jack Stanton
Jaymen Townsend
Nick Allen
Phoenix Gill
Braylon Mullins
Angelo Ciaravino
Davis Bynum
Jack Bailey (4*, contacted)

Is that it?  Anyone else who I've missed at this point?

And......  the staff is on the road again this weekend to:

Appleton, WI,
https://basketball.exposureevents.com/202408/boys-wiaa-wbca-june-jam--scholastic-event

Romeoville, IL
https://romeovillelive.com/event/4663-certified-romeoville-live-summer-shootout

and Indianapolis, IN (guessing on this one)
https://basketball.exposureevents.com/200891/summer-classic

Will there be more?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 23, 2023, 11:03:15 AM
:coffeetime:   Geez, it like herding cats trying to keep up with all the 2025 offers going out.

According to PO's Twitter site this appears to be the list so far:

Jason Jakstys
Jack Stanton
Jaymen Townsend
Nick Allen
Phoenix Gill
Braylon Mullins
Angelo Ciaravino
Davis Bynum
Jack Bailey (4*, contacted)

Is that it?  Anyone else?

And......  the staff is on the road again this weekend to:

Appleton, WI,
https://basketball.exposureevents.com/202408/boys-wiaa-wbca-june-jam--scholastic-event

Romeoville, IL
https://romeovillelive.com/event/4663-certified-romeoville-live-summer-shootout

and Indianapolis, IN (guessing on this one)
https://basketball.exposureevents.com/200891/summer-classic

Will there be more?

It's certain.  What happens is that as they get the first guys the offers start getting pulled.  Obviously, none of these qualify for walk-on status and there aren't very many spots.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

I also saw that a few are 4* rising juniors, and that's a big reach for Valpo given our record over the past 7 years.  So, I presume some of these early offers will also be declined in the future by some of these kids who get serious P5 pressure, e.g., maybe a kid like Phoenix Gill (4* soph, dad, Kendall Gill, a former pro).

Regardless,  I am liking the wide net that Roger is casting. He is so personable (as are his assistants) that it's not hard to visualize a kid or two buying in on that alone. Ya know, I don't remember seeing recruiting promotion and aggressiveness as intense in the past. Or is that selective memory?

The other part of this little game, IMO, is that these are rising juniors and like all young kids they are into "collecting" cool stuff offers just because they can. This is not the serious phase yet.

humbleopinion

These offers may pay off later in the players' careers after they sign with a P5 and decide to transfer after a year or two.
Beamin' Beacons

David81

Quote from: humbleopinion on June 23, 2023, 03:36:07 PM
These offers may pay off later in the players' careers after they sign with a P5 and decide to transfer after a year or two.

Yes, it's about being in the conversation, having the school's name out there with some of the best players, making a strong impression with a kid who at the very least will think well of Valpo -- with the possibility that a few may end up here. And the right few is all you need to do special things.

valpo84

Maybe presumed, but for those who may not be familiar

Kendall Gill — Illinois, FF 1989 (teammate Marcus Liberty)

Roger Powell — Illinois, FF 2005

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valporun

I like seeing all of the recruiting news coming from this coaching staff. I would hope that in the interviews, Roger said, "I will going out and doing a lot of recruiting, so my budget will need to be a lot more, as the years go on." Seeeing they are staying within driving distance currently is good too. I agree that some of these offers will be rejected, but that's all these is "offers". At least, it gives the potential to the kid that he can be a focus from our program, but also allows him to see what other schools will send offers that might be better than Valpo, or will be under what Valpo has to offer. I'm excited to see how things go over the next 5 years.

valpo64

Kids talk among themselves, even at that early age.  The best players, and some with great potential, see each other on a regular basis and talk about schools, coaches, who they like and the first impressions the coaches and schools give.  In the larger scheme of things these factors can mean alot.  It can only be a win-win situation when players have already met a coach or coaches and have a good impression of a Staff and School.  Getting in there early and good follow-up can bring real successes in the long run.  It appears that Coach Powell and this Staff are doing just that.  GO VALPO!

tiny707

Player development is key. Interested in how AJ Moye comes into play developing players. Players developing in 2024 may help land some of these 2025 recruits. Sometimes it is better to get playing time
at a smaller  school like Belmont, Santa Clara or Gonzaga.

valpopal

Another 2025 offer to Brady Koehler, a 6'8" power forward from Cathedral HS (Indianapolis)

crusader05

Definitely feels like both a "wide net" strategy and also a general PR strategy to elevate Valpo's name. All of our new coaches seem much more savvy in regards to social media, publicity, and the general need to use themselves to sell the program and team. These offers may be a part of that. especially at such an early stage. It's a message Valpo is out there and recruiting hard.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpopal on June 27, 2023, 01:18:44 PM
Another 2025 offer to Brady Koehler, a 6'8" power forward from Cathedral HS (Indianapolis)

His Twitter announcement was "After a conversation with Coach Powell...."  Note, he did not say "great conversation."   :o  What should we read into that?  Is Roger losing his edge?  🧐

Just kidding and being a little snarky - it just seems that all these recent announcements are the same as if these kids check a box next to a prepared text line and then post.

crusader05

It's just like the whole "with that being said" phrasing that used to be a big part of transfer announcements.

VULB#62

I guess that is the phrase of the year.  Wasn't last year's "I have been blessed to receive an offer......." ??

valpopal

Another big with a 2025 offer: Will Goode, a 6'9"  230 lb. PF from Kansas. Looks in videos like a strong player likely to grow even more with a good looking outside shot as well.

wh

I see that neither Grand Canyon nor Gonzaga has made anywhere near as many 2024 2025 offers as Valpo, so Roger's strike fast, strike often recruiting approach isn't simply a copy and paste from his past. That makes me like it even more.

JD24

Quote from: wh on July 20, 2023, 06:41:14 PMI see that neither Grand Canyon nor Gonzaga has made anywhere near as many 2024 2025 offers as Valpo, so Roger's strike fast, strike often recruiting approach isn't simply a copy and paste from his past. That makes me like it even more.
Roger went from Vandy to Gonzaga. No stop at Grand Canyon.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on July 20, 2023, 11:48:40 PM
Quote from: wh on July 20, 2023, 06:41:14 PMI see that neither Grand Canyon nor Gonzaga has made anywhere near as many 2024 2025 offers as Valpo, so Roger's strike fast, strike often recruiting approach isn't simply a copy and paste from his past. That makes me like it even more.
Roger went from Vandy to Gonzaga. No stop at Grand Canyon.

However, his former boss at Vandy is now at Grand Canyon.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015