• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #3 - Green Bay 11/14/23 at the ARC

Started by talksalot, November 12, 2023, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

ok, if we don't win on Tuesday, this will be my last game thread starter of the year. 

This is not the UWGB-Valpo battle for the conference lead type of game.   We haven't played them since February 4, 2017, and they clobbered us at the Resch center 86-69.   Two weeks earlier, we beat them at the ARC 80-56. 
We haven't lost to them at the ARC since January, 23 2011.  The Phoenix won that one 63-61.

They have played two completely different games.  A blow-out loss and an expected margin over a lower division team.

This year, GB was given a lesson by Iowa State, 85-44. and they beat St. Francis (Illinois) 72-56.

They are led by Guard Noah Reynolds (Wyoming Transfer) at 18.5 and Elijah Jones with 11.  Sundance Wicks was named the ninth head men's basketball coach in program history on March 14, 2023. Wicks joins the Phoenix after three seasons as an assistant coach at Wyoming.

GBs tallest players are 6'8", their leading rebounder, Marcus Hall, is a 6'6" Freshman.

Against St. Francis, GB out scored them 42-22 "in the paint"
Against Iowa State, The Cyclones outscored GB 42-8 "in the paint"

Against Iowa State, GB was 5 of 13 from 2-point range and 8-33 for 3ptrs.

I guess we'll all have to come out Tuesday night.  Bring the Noise to the ARC and keep the pressure on. 

covufan

This is a good matchup for this young team. How does this team react to the loss. How do they react in game when scoring goes cold. Hustle, find the open man, hit the boards, play defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

I wonder if we could bring Rowdy back for this game?

That would send a chill down the backs of many of their fans. Of course they are from WisCONsin so they are somewhat used to chills. :-)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 13, 2023, 02:39:08 AM
Valpo 68
GB 64

Good for you. Not what I am thinking. The Phoenix will be in that last quarter of the Horizon League with IU-Indy (trying to get adjusted to the Jaguars new name). I believe the Beacons will do better but GB pulls it out. We still need to learn to win. We'll shoot slightly better than we did against IU-Indy.

Green Bay  66
Valpo   62
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

:thumbsup:
Quote from: talksalot on November 12, 2023, 03:17:44 PM
ok, if we don't win on Tuesday, this will be my last game thread starter of the year. 

Thanks for taking the bull by the horns and posting game starter threads for everyone's enjoyment. They're always reliable and informative. I hope you continue regardless of the outcome of the game. With appreciation, wh

tiny707

Valpo 68
GB 62

Darius has his highest scoring game of the season with two points and plays 37 minutes.

covufan

We have some success with up tempo play and the perimeter.

Valpo 77 - 65

My other prediction is that we don't have any late game ejections from the players. I don't see one from coaching staff either, but firmly believe that The Rev will fix this one time aberration

Chairback

I think we come out and beat the crap out of UWGB. 

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on November 13, 2023, 11:50:40 AM
I think we come out and beat the crap out of UWGB. 

I like your thinking but it will be much closer.

I won't make it to this game either but I promise to reappear at the ARC soon!

wh

Quote from: covufan on November 13, 2023, 09:16:12 AM
We have some success with up tempo play and the perimeter.

Valpo 77 - 65

My other prediction is that we don't have any late game ejections from the players. I don't see one from coaching staff either, but firmly believe that The Rev will fix this one time aberration

I don't know what happened over there, but I will say that their player had been stirring the pot the whole game up to that point. Obviously, it's never good to get ejected, but I do like that our guys play with a chip on their shoulder. They're not afraid to mix it up underneath, and they body up their man - on the ball and off. That level of physicality wears on the opposition mentally and physically and causes frustration (and anger) when someone always seems to be glued to you. I can tell that is going to be part of Roger's MO. Unfortunately, we might not have enough interchangeable parts at this point to play offense at a frenetic pace for 40 minutes - and play that aggressively on defense. I could tell our guys started to wear down in the 2nd half, run more clock, and stand around more. It's exciting to watch the development, knowing where Roger wants to get to over time. Baby steps...

vu72

I'm glad the games are starting at 7 (or later!)  Weren't they starting at 6 last season?  6 seems kinda goofy it you think about getting home from work, eating dinner and getting you, your spouse and two kids in the car to arrive at 6.  Am I right on that?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUSWIM08-12

I liked Roger's honest/frank approach to basketball weekly! He actually said things of substance! Gonna be close. But like RPJ said, can we figure it out in winning time ! I watched a good chunk of St. Francis(IL) vs UWGB, Phoenix were not good initially but figured it out! Is it a must win , probably not, but IMO it is!

Beacons 71
Phoenix  68

valpotx

Young teams can be interesting to watch early in the season.  They can lay an egg, as we did against IUPUI, but they can also strike hot.  I think this is a strike hot game.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Valpo favored by 3, o/u 133.5...

Will also be interesting to follow the IUPUI game at Indiana State.   Trees favored by 17.5.

valpotx

We all forgot that Preston Ruedinger is at GB!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vok22

I cannot figure out why our half court offense the first 2 games looks like it is run though Jerome Palm. He absolutely looks improved offensively from last year, but if we are going to go to a big man so much, why wouldn't it be Schwieger. I havent even seen Cooper touch the ball today meanwhile Jerome has touched it nearly every possession.

vok22

Jaxon Edwards has really exceeded my expectations so far. Jahari Williamson and Sherman Weatherspoon have done the exact opposite.

vok22

Roger Powell has repeatedly said that some of these freshmen will play in the NCAA tournament someday, thats how highly he thinks of this class. I came into this year knowing we would suck. I knew we would win single digit games. That being said, with such a "talented" class, and such a heralded coaching staff, you would think we would be able to at least compete with IUPUI and UWGB at home, despite the lack of experience. So far, a completely uninspiring team. All I wanted to see was improvement between November and March, so there is a long way to go. But even in my most pessimistic expectations to the season, I did not foresee dropping both to IUPUI and Green Bay.

VULB#62

Shots are not falling cuz feet are not set. Our kids are too anxious. Our team hasn't yet gotten to the point where the fast paced game has slowed down in their minds.

tiny707