• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #3 - Green Bay 11/14/23 at the ARC

Started by talksalot, November 12, 2023, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

Excellent news. You've got to admit, that's a huge win for our team.
#CrusadersForever

vok22

They made some defensive adjustments at half and their offense was (marginally) better in the second. Feels good to be in the win column.

Also: Schwieger, stafford, and edwards are really good. The drop off after them is significant. If we can keep them around, see improvement from Weatherspoon and Williamson, and add some good depth players/one more scorer (McNair?) around them, I see the vision. We jsut aren't going to get enough out of Darius and Palm. I've seen enough of them, but there's nothing to replace them right now. I think Manyang could eventually be a HUGE addition. I really hope he gets healthy soon.

mj

I loved the fight and grit that Valpo showed tonight. I started to get that sinking feeling that the game was slipping away from us but we clawed our way back.

I think this team took a small step forward tonight. If you squint, you can begin to see the outlines of what this team might eventually become.
I believe that we will win.

Chairback

Is there a timeline for Manyang?

Is he out for the season?

covufan

Plodding win. Hustle and good things will happen. Unsure how cold GB went, but we persevered to catch them and win.

Must play better Friday, or it will be a 35 point blowout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vok22

Quote from: covufan on November 14, 2023, 09:43:30 PMPlodding win. Hustle and good things will happen. Unsure how cold GB went, but we persevered to catch them and win. Must play better Friday, or it will be a 35 point blowout. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea...about that. I don't see any way we don't lose by 40. We might (hopefully) improve a lot this season, but we are starting from a LOW point based on these last two games. I see something along the lines of 96-42.

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on November 14, 2023, 07:11:50 PMI cannot figure out why our half court offense the first 2 games looks like it is run though Jerome Palm. He absolutely looks improved offensively from last year, but if we are going to go to a big man so much, why wouldn't it be Schwieger. I havent even seen Cooper touch the ball today meanwhile Jerome has touched it nearly every possession.
Currently Schwieger and Palm have to play because they are clearly amongst the 5 best players on the roster.  They can't run the offense through Schwieger because where does Palm go in the offense? He's not a perimeter player at all whereas Schwieger is and I think ultimately will be that type of player long term. APeters lite if you will.

I also agree with Bud's comment that too many are shooting 3's without their feet set.

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 14, 2023, 07:04:29 PM
We all forgot that Preston Ruedinger is at GB!

Some of us forgot. Some remembered he would probably be a liability.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: mj on November 14, 2023, 09:14:08 PM
I loved the fight and grit that Valpo showed tonight. I started to get that sinking feeling that the game was slipping away from us but we clawed our way back.

I think this team took a small step forward tonight. If you squint, you can begin to see the outlines of what this team might eventually become.

You know what, I've been doing a lot of squinting over the last 6 to 7 years.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on November 14, 2023, 01:43:03 PM
Valpo favored by 3, o/u 133.5...

Will also be interesting to follow the IUPUI game at Indiana State.   Trees favored by 17.5.

Yikes!

Indiana State Trees  96
IU-Indy Jagoffs   57

vu84v2

Quote from: vok22 on November 14, 2023, 09:48:42 PM
Quote from: covufan on November 14, 2023, 09:43:30 PMPlodding win. Hustle and good things will happen. Unsure how cold GB went, but we persevered to catch them and win. Must play better Friday, or it will be a 35 point blowout. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea...about that. I don't see any way we don't lose by 40. We might (hopefully) improve a lot this season, but we are starting from a LOW point based on these last two games. I see something along the lines of 96-42.

Saw Illinois tonight. They are not really together on offense (no developed point guard), but they are long, athletic and can play good defense. For where Valpo is right now, it will be tough to score 60.

AB

My how the roster's and atmosphere has changed since the 2015 Horizon League Championship game!

Palm is a good energy guy, rebounder, that's exclusively what he should do. He could carve out 7.5-9 rbs a game, shooting only when wide open. Not a total liability. Small silver lining team found a way to gut out a win, play good D. Might not have happened last year in a game like this. Valpo will loose by 20- 25 pts @ Drake, Missouri State in conference etc.. Loosing Rudinger didn't hurt Valpo at all. Jaxson Edwards....Hard to believe he didn't play more at Murray. Team will struggle to score most of the season, as some else pointed out. Only three consistent scorers at the moment. Game atmosphere was similar to a Wake tonight.

historyman

Quote from: AB on November 14, 2023, 10:15:10 PMGame atmosphere was similar to a Wake tonight.

Demon Deacons games are pretty good spirit wise.

Oh, you mean an actual FUNERAL!   :o

David81

This team has talent. We're seeing the emergence of a "big 3" in Stafford, Edwards, and Schwieger (whose scoring should increase over the season). If Palm can stick to playing an inside game, he'll be productive. Ajiboye (9 rebounds and 4 blocks in 19 minutes tonight!!!), Williamson, and Weatherspoon are promising frosh. I don't know about DeAveiro -- can you keep giving big minutes to someone who may not hit 30% of his shots? (But do they have a choice?)

valpotx

I look forward to seeing Schwieger develop.  I assume that they are working with him on a quicker release, similar to what Alec Peters developed over his Valpo career.  Alec was a little bit quicker on his release during his FR season, but just like Rowdy, both were very quick by their Sophomore seasons. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Good confidence win for these guys, but I disagree with David81 - for a Div. 1 level this team needs much more overall talent and it will take time. A lot of growing pains ahead, but I like the resiliency of these guys.

valpopal

Quote from: AB on November 14, 2023, 10:15:10 PM
Game atmosphere was similar to a Wake tonight.
Coach Powell seemed to sense this as well and addressed it in his opening comments at the postgame press conference when he urged fans to get behind the team. Attendance was an anemic 1204!

On another note, Valpo split its games this past week against two of the weakest D-1 teams in the country, that were ranked by CBS Sports as #360 and #361 out of 362 programs. Friday we will see VU face a top-25 team that lost last night to the #4 team and will be looking for revenge on their home court. It might not be pretty.

valpopal

Quote from: David81 on November 14, 2023, 10:39:54 PM
I don't know about DeAveiro -- can you keep giving big minutes to someone who may not hit 30% of his shots? (But do they have a choice?)
I would give Williamson more of the minutes at point to even the time with DeAveiro a bit. So far, Darius has been getting more than 30 minutes per game while Jahari gets only 13. Yet, Jahari is averaging 8 points and Darius is averaging 2 points. Also, Jahari's shooting percentage is 50% at 7-14 (4-8 from the three-point line). Darius is shooting only 14% at 2-14 (1-4 from the three-point line). With his play on the Canadian Under-18 and Under-19 teams as well as his appearance in the World Cup for Team Canada, Jahari has as much quality experience as Darius. DeAveiro is excellent at obtaining assists and handling the ball at the point, but there needs to be a scoring threat at times from that position as well. Jahari has seen the court only 40% of the time that Darius has, yet Jahari has averaged 4-times the points. 

tiny707

Agree Valpopal on Darius. Still start him but closer to the Palm minutes(23) he had this past game. Good with Jahari getting 17 minutes.

JD24

Just based on a couple of games it appears Darius is a pretty good on ball defender. I don't know if he's better than Jahari but I know Darius is pretty good. I imagine Darius is currently playing because he's the best at running the team at the moment and his defense is pretty good.

The entire team is simply a better defensive team than we saw under Lottich. Much more active.

David81

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 15, 2023, 05:41:31 AM
Good confidence win for these guys, but I disagree with David81 - for a Div. 1 level this team needs much more overall talent and it will take time. A lot of growing pains ahead, but I like the resiliency of these guys.

I'm not talking about NCAA tourney-level talent, at least not yet, but rather players who can help this team return to respectability. I'm bullish on this roster because some of the most hopeful signs are coming from players with multiple seasons of eligibility remaining. Stafford has another year remaining, Edwards two more, and then you've got a slew of promising freshmen. With the transfer portal being what it is, I don't know if it is still possible for a mid-major to recruit talented young players with room to grow into standouts, who stay the whole time. But Coach Powell may be the guy who restores that once tried-and-true method for VU.

valpotx

I assume that Powell understood when he accepted the Valpo job, that fan support was much less than what he experienced in his previous stint.  He is definitely trying his best to engage the community, but this community has shown that they will only come out when we are winning
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

In the past, the winning has glossed over many of the issues we've talked about on this board. Even in those years we had to deal with parking issues, flushless restrooms that constantly smell like urine, subpar concessions, an awful sound system, aisles with more tripping hazards than a lego convention, kids running around the track screaming while the ball is in play, etc.

To be fair, it feels like we're on the track to correcting some of these issues. The new lighting and scoreboard is a great step in that direction. But you're not going to see the ARC anywhere over half full at best until there's a consistently winning product on the floor.

tiny707