• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #10 Valpo @ Virginia Tech 12/9 11 am CT

Started by valpopal, December 08, 2023, 06:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Tough to win anywhere when you shoot 3-20 from 3 pt land and get out rebounded by 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: covufan on December 09, 2023, 12:50:00 PM
Tough to win anywhere when you shoot 3-20 from 3 pt land and get out rebounded by 11

Maybe against Trinity Christian but NOT St Mary-of-the-Amazon.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

JD24

Tougher to win when the team as a whole can't shoot other than the occasional good game doing so plus the inside game is relatively non-existant.

Sepp put up a few points but his court movement is that of a 6-10/6-11 player and not one who is 6-7. Maybe he can be turned into a Krutwig type who plays underneath all the mayhem above him.

valpopal

If nothing else comes out of the current road games, we are seeing the emergence of Kaspar Sepp as a regular member of the rotation, perhaps even a starter going forward. Combining the past two games, Sepp has been 8-12 from the field and recorded 17 rebounds. Palm has no rebounds in either of those games, and he has a total of only one basket. Sepp has also committed only 2 turnovers in 58 minutes, while balancing those with 2 steals.

Chairback

This team is young, inexperienced, and going through their growing pains.  I will not rip them.   And we basically play with seven guys. 

One thing I will give his team is they do not quit like the last couple of valpo teams

We will be fine it's just going to take time.

justducky

Schwieger has completely disappeared. Explanations?

Quote from: JD24 on December 09, 2023, 12:58:06 PMSepp put up a few points but his court movement is that of a 6-10/6-11 player and not one who is 6-7.

He has demonstrated what he can do with few major flaws in his freshman game but does he have any 3 point shot? If he could hit 30% from 3 his value to the team would explode upward.

tiny707

Take your pick: three point shots, rebounds or free throws....

vu72

Well that was disappointing. Clearly Jerome is bringing nothing we need.  Afraid to shoot and is getting out muscled time and time again.  My guess is we will see a lot more of Sepp  in the future.  We just won't win any games shooting 12% from the 3.

Until we can get more depth, this is going to be a long season, and we expected this, unfortunately.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: JD24 on December 09, 2023, 12:58:06 PM
Sepp put up a few points but his court movement is that of a 6-10/6-11 player and not one who is 6-7. Maybe he can be turned into a Krutwig type who plays underneath all the mayhem above him.
When Sepp was signed, i wrote on this board that I hoped he had the potential to be similar to Kevin Van Wijk, who was 6'8" and whose game I liked a lot. I would be pleased if that is the outcome.

justducky

In recent years our most successful backup small center was Jubril Adekoya. There seems to be some similarities between Sepp and Adekoya in their offensive and defensive play near the basket. Away from the basket Jubril could either attack with his dribble penetration or back a smaller defender down while also being a big threat from 3 point range. Obviously Sepp is well taught but far from having reached his full potential. How good will he get and what will be his future role in the fast paced Powell offense?

valpotx

I'm surprised that Sepp is only listed as 6'7".  He looks like he is closer to 6'8".
"Don't mess with Texas"

AB

Van Wijk. Good comp. Lets hope Sepp is healthier that Kevin. What does anyone think Palm's real issue is? Like is he just a D II, III, NAIA type player....

Last year was tough season for different reasons, never got over the hump and closed games. This year.....youth, lack of depth at the moment. Next November will look/feel much different. If nothing else, more game experience and we got a check for over 60K today

mj

Had an opportunity to watch the game from behind the Valpo bench. Here are a few my thoughts.

The Good

This team doesn't ever give up. We fight until the final buzzer.

Coaching. They are calling plays. They don't let the players just stand around on offense.

Sepp. He reminds me of Matt Kenney in someways. He's not going to be a star but he's the type of guy that good teams need. A glue guy. Not afraid to get physical.

The Bad

Our 3 point shooting. We missed some open looks. We took some bad shots. VT played good defense against our shooters. Just needs to be better

Our inside game. Doesn't exist.

Palm. He's too soft on defense and too hard on offense. Not a light touch around the rim and he gets out rebounded. Probably would be better coming off the bench if we had depth. He doesn't let his struggles impact his attitude though. Definitely a team player.

Overall

Even though we lost by 20+ it didn't seem like a blowout. You can see the vision that Coach Powell has. There are times that our freshmen look like freshmen. They don't look scared but uncertain at times. I'm optimistic for the future.

I believe that we will win.

tiny707

Our inside game would exist if we signed Nae Qwan Tomlin for next semester.

JD24

Quote from: valpotx on December 09, 2023, 06:01:32 PMI'm surprised that Sepp is only listed as 6'7".  He looks like he is closer to 6'8".
I guess it's a matter of perception. He looks shorter than 6'7" to me.

Bumbo

This team's effort, organization, ball sharing (sometimes) and grit is like night and day compared to the previous "coach". Rev has got them giving maximum effort and there is structure and what appear to be strong scouts on the defensive end. And a growing ability to read the game offensively. What is missing unfortunately is talent almost across the board there are 2-3 decent pieces but this program needs a heavy influx of talent starting with some consistent perimeter shooting and bigs who can be even some threat to score and protect the rim.  He's definitely already built a significantly better culture than the last guy ever did