• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #11 Chicago State at the ARC 12/16 3pm CT payback

Started by talksalot, December 11, 2023, 08:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Tonight (Wednesday) on the BigTenNetwork is the Northwestern-Chicago State game if you want to see them in action... Cats are favored by 24.5

tiny707

talksalot

CSU is playing inspired basketball... they went on a 10-0 run to make a game of it...led by as many as 5 before the cats started hitting some shots. 

CSU is turning defense into offense... very "Handsy"...and they can jump!  very athletic.   Reminds me of the Central Michigan team... uh oh.

historyman

Chicago State has taken the lead on northwestern with about 5 minutes to go in the game they lead by 2. should be an exciting finish.

EDT: It's a real battle of cats as the northwestern wildcats take a two-point lead on the Cougars with 2:20 left in the game.

EDIT: CHICAGO STATE HAS A FIVE-POINT LEAD WITH LESS THAN 10 SECONDS TO GO IN THE GAME. LOOKS LIKE A BIG UPSET!!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

Chicago State 75
Northwestern 73 final score

Cardet had 30 points for CSU.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

Fun game to watch.  :o Whatever our game plan was I think it needs revision!

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 11, 2023, 07:18:54 PM
CSU has been playing together for at least 2 years. They have more frequent flyer miles than most teams and still compete in front of 900 fans at home . Playing in the ARC will not faze them. Gonna be tough. Gonna be close.

Whoa! I'm doubling down on this one.

historyman

VULB#62

Ya think we had coaches at NU scouting in person?

Uhh, can we even do that under NCAA rules?

vu72

If we can't find a way to rebound, we could get boat raced.  They are going to be sky high with confidence.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Here's the CSU box score from the win...

Chicago St. 75
##   Player                      GS   MIN   FG   3PT   FT   ORB-DRB   REB   PF   A   TO   BLK   STL   PTS
01   Cardet, Jr., Wesley        *   37   13-21   3-9   1-2   0-4   4   0   4   6   0   2   30
24   Corbett, Jahsean        *   39   4-15   2-6   7-8   2-4   6   1   3   1   0   2   17
15   Crawford, Noble                *   34   2-3   1-2   4-4   2-6   8   3   1   2   1   2   9
12   Davis, Brent                *   33   2-5   1-3   4-4   3-3   6   4   1   1   0   3   9
22   Jernigan, Cameron        *   16   2-2   0-0   0-0   0-3   3   5   0   2   2   2   4
10   Neal, A.J.                      20   1-2   1-2   3-4   0-0   0   2   0   0   0   0   6
05   Green, Kedrick              21   0-2   0-1   0-0   0-0   0   3   4   2   0   2   0
TM   TEAM                      0   0-0   0-0   0-0   1-1   2   0   0   0   0   0   0
Totals   -   200   24-50   8-23   19-22   8-21   29   18   13   14   3   13   75

17 points off turnovers
32 points in the paint

VULB#62

Mid majors just don't beat B1G teams by scoring almost half their points in the paint. That's unheard of. 72 nailed it — if Valpo can't build a wall around the free throw lane we are sunk.

EDIT:  just noticed - this is my 7,000th post  :crazy:  :rotfl: :banghead:

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 14, 2023, 10:43:42 AMEDIT:  just noticed - this is my 7,000th post     

Congrats on reaching the 7,000 Club!

When ELIJAH in his frustration complained to God that he was the onIy one true servant of the mid-majors God told him "I reserve seven thousand in college sports---all whose knees have not bowed down to the Big Conferences."

7000 Club is a group for those who pledge total loyalty to the mid-majors.

valpopal

David81

I see continued growing pains for the Baby Beacs, but with genuine reason for optimism going into next season if the best of the young recruits return.

Chicago State 74
Valparaiso 68

Every game yields a highlight or two (or three!) in terms of player development and performance. It could start coming together in the final third or so of the regular season.

Bumbo

Interesting to see how Coach responds to Chicago State's five out game. They essentially play without a five man and offensively put NWs big (when the wildcats had a true 5 on the floor) in the ball screen virtually every time. Chi state also selectively dialed up some pressure that created turnovers and easy scores. As long as our wings can guard the ball - northwestern did not have an outstanding wing defender - I think Valpo has a good shot here. We shall see how much Palm and Sepp we get tomorrow. And hopefully Jahari is back because Darius needs a blow now and then.

historyman

Quote from: Bumbo on December 15, 2023, 05:34:23 PMWe shall see how much Palm and Sepp we get tomorrow

More Sepp than Palm I hope.

It is interesting that they both played Euro basket & both are good for a four letter last name. :-)

AB

yes they defeated NW and that was a big win. One dude caught fire, NW was (no pun intended) cat napping/finals week. But if you look at the whole picture, CSU has some bad losses as well. Single moms in their 40's 64, Valpo 72

VUSWIM08-12

Valpo at -4 favorites , I just don't see us winning this one though, hopefully I'm wrong.
Valpo 67
Chi St 72

historyman

It's probably the most unpredictable game in Div 1 this season . Could easily go 30 points in either direction depending on who truly gets hot.

usc4valpo

Times have changed as we have never seen this much discussion in the past regarding a Chi-State matchup.

wh

Kouts HS band is here. Haven't heard a band that good since the last time a HS band was here.

VUSWIM08-12

Ughhh , down 10-2 at the first media , they're better than we are...

VUSWIM08-12

Williamson keeping us in it , down 22-14 with 9 to go in the first

vu84v2

Good job recovering from a poor start. Great bench play, especially Williamson.