• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #17, MVC #6, At Illinois state 3pm sunday

Started by talksalot, January 13, 2024, 05:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Late game thread. 

Just a typical Normal game.

Need grit from 5 guys for 40 minutes.

Connie Felton Bretscher is out of eligibility.

Traveling through Ohio.. I'll try to do a better preview for the Rags reunion game on Wednesday

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

This streak needs to end, why not now.

Valpo  72
Ill st     70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiny707

Rev is fired up. We win today.

Valpo: 74
Illinois State: 70

We have done well against ISU.

VUSWIM08-12

Several Bretscher's had Valpo swim records from the 70s, Connie's sons or nephews I believe. I also worked for her grandson or great nephew (he swam at Ohio State)  as a coach at a a small college in Vermont from 2014-2017, he mentioned their Valpo legacy several times!

Ughhh we need a win , their D is very good , we'll need crisp movement on O!

Valpo 72
Birds 67

SPEEDYPITCHER37

ISU is beatable by the majority of the conference, and today I say that includes us.

Valpo 75
Illinois State 71

tjjvalpo

Is this a winnable game? It might be statistically we are very even. The big men are not so big that they will push around like other teams have. They are not likely to shoot lights out like other teams have.  The only thing that they have on us is experience (they start 5 Seniors). Talent wise, we probably have more! So, if we stay close in the first half, maybe we can come away with our first MVC win.

Valpo 70
Ill St 68

talksalot

Quote from: VUSWIM08-12 on January 14, 2024, 11:38:12 AM
Several Bretscher's had Valpo swim records from the 70s, Connie's sons or nephews I believe. I also worked for her grandson or great nephew (he swam at Ohio State)  as a coach at a a small college in Vermont from 2014-2017, he mentioned their Valpo legacy several times!

Connie was married to Arnie Felton for about 40 years.  He was the valpo university dentist back in the day.

Rev Paul bretscher was married to Juanita for about 40 years.

Pail was the pastor at Immanuel Lutheran church and taught some theology courses.   

It was their kids who set the pool records.  Another son is a radio host in Columbus Ohio,  and is the PA guy for the buckeyes using a stage name.

Paul and Juanita had 10 kids.  They all went to valpo. 

Connie was a teacher at Immanuel fir years, and gave piano lessons...including to my two kids, 30 years ago.

Paul and Connie married about 20 years ago.

VULB#62

Refresh my memory. When were we last ahead at the half in an MVC game?

VUSWIM08-12

Come on Po'! Solid half minus the turnovers n poor shot selection! Definitely winnable ! Stay solid in the 2nd half, they will make a run , can we withstand it ?!? Darius playing well! Up 28-20 at half !!!

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 14, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
Refresh my memory. When were we last ahead at the half in an MVC game?
From PO on X(formerly Twitter): First halftime lead @ValpoBasketball has had in a #MVCHoops game since leading Illinois State 42-38 on Feb. 11, 2023. That was also Valpo's last Valley win.

VUSWIM08-12

Up 13 with 11.5 minutes to go !! Ahhhhhh come on!!

Valpofamfan

makes me nervous that we're running so much time down on the shot clock and still 8 mins to go

VUSWIM08-12

Reminiscent of the Oregon St. game several years ago, Bryce admitted they slowed down too early...still won though!!

covufan

Schwieger needs to recognize that mismatch and take it to the hoop

mj

I believe that we will win.

Valpofamfan

great game by Cooper and looking at the stat line Darius had 8 assists and 0 turnovers to go along with his 9 points. If he keeps playing like this he's got to end up on the most improved team

AB

Time to start a new streak. Hah.  Schweiger should lead the team in shots!!!!. He had the advantage in the post all game and had very few touches in the paint. Either he needs to work harder in the post to get open or the offense needs to design ways to get him more looks. Stafford shots to waaaay to much!.
            We have a team of inexperience/youth and a late coaching hire. So we get somewhat of a pass. Who actually thinks SIU, UIC and the Redbirds are that talented?. WE OWN THE REDBIRDS.

VULB#62

FRESHMEN. Sheesh 🙄  Cooper diasappears for a couple of games then gets a 16/13 double double.

This is gonna be a fun crazy ride.

justducky

Guessing that our freshmen played around 110 minutes?  ;D

usc4valpo