• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #22, MVC #11, @ Drake 7pm Wednesday - hoping the travel plans work out

Started by talksalot, January 28, 2024, 11:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

They are 11-0 at home
They have Tucker Devries, Darnell Brodie

Be Fun to watch the Schwieger vs Overton game-within-the-game. 
In the last matchup,
Overton (6'5") with 10 points, 3 boards (2OR, 1DR),  No assists, No Turnovers, No Blocks, one steal, 25 minutes, 2 fouls
Schwieger with 13 points, 6 boards (3OR, 3DR), two assists, no turnovers, no blocks, no steals, 29 minutes and 4 fouls

Vs. UNI, DeVries went for 29, Brodie went for 11 and 8 boards (foul Trouble only played 23 minutes); Overton went for THREE points and 7 boards in 29 minutes.

They went 11 of 27 from 3pt range and 18-23 from the line (UNI was 14 of 28)

The other thing Drake had?   6,424 people on the Knapp Center... at 5pm on Saturday.  (they had over 4,000 vs. Indiana State on a Wednesday a few weeks ago)

Our hope for this game:  They are looking ahead to Saturday @ Indiana State.  The Syc's may try for another sellout at Hulman (they sold out Hulman yesterday-8,223-thanks to some corporate block-purchase-ticket-giveaway)...

Anyway... they beat us 83-65 back in December at the ARC.  We are a better team than we were back then. They haven't missed a beat.

oh, the forecast is 39 and sunny in Des Moines on Wednesday

covufan

I just want to come out in first five minutes of each half and play competitively. We competed with Drake at home. After yesterday - rebound, defense, rebound.

Drake   82
Valpo    72

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Drake  89
Valpo   51

What has Valpo done to make that score different really?

I hope the Beacons play better than before but Drake will play at home in the Knapp Center and even if challenged will want a big win.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

Quote from: historyman on January 29, 2024, 04:00:10 PMDrake  89
Valpo   51

We have 62 days of additional maturity which is enormous for a team like ours. With nothing to lose and knowing the opponent may want to run up the score I'm thinking we battle to the wire to keep it within 10 points.

usc4valpo

historyman

Quote from: justducky on January 29, 2024, 04:19:29 PM
Quote from: historyman on January 29, 2024, 04:00:10 PMDrake  89
Valpo   51

We have 62 days of additional maturity which is enormous for a team like ours. With nothing to lose and knowing the opponent may want to run up the score I'm thinking we battle to the wire to keep it within 10 points.

Okay, but what did that gain us against Southern Illinois & Missouri State?

Do you think Valpo got better outcomes? Better than last year, yes. Better than expected, no.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

tjjvalpo

Drake is currently favored by 20.5 pts. We will cover.

Drake 78
Valpo 63

AB

talksalot

The Saab 2000 got the team to Des Moines on Tuesday evening... so the "Travel Plans" worked well this time.

The 20.5 spread, with a 145.5 o/u sounds about right.   For the year... we are 12-7 Against the Spread... so we're doing better than the odds makers are thinking we will...
We are 9-11 on covering the o/u.

Drake is 11-9 against the spread and 10-10 on covering the spread.

I'm hoping we don't get jazzed by the rambunctious crowd ... It would be great if we can keep this to single-digits.

truth219

I predict a massive upset...probably won't happen but I do believe this team has the "grit". We're do for some magic. A win would inject so much confidence into this team and this message board. Let's do it!

talksalot

The odds makers must have read truth219 post... the line has fallen to 19.5

truth219

Our defense and overall effort has been on point. We  can not put the ball through the rim.

covufan

Our season turnover ratio is good. It appears when I'm looking at in game stats that we are always behind in points off of turnovers. Is there a season stat for that anywhere?

truth219

Going 0-400 from three will not win games.

covufan

Quote from: truth219 on January 31, 2024, 07:34:51 PM
Our defense and overall effort has been on point. We  can not put the ball through the rim.

I'm counting 8 shots in a row missed. Make it 9

covufan

Team gritty needs to go on a run

covufan

Lose by 11. Out rebounded by 20. 12-2 in offensive rebounds, with our 2 coming in the last minute. Too many fouls.

Getting this game under 9 was tough. Never seemed close like the previous game.

On to Evansville

VULB#62

I missed the game, dammit. Lost by 11. Covered the spread easily.

Checked the stats and Isaiah crushed it - 32 points and great %. Coop and Spoon big foul trouble. Once again we just don't have anyone to lock down the paint.