• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #24 @ Indiana State

Started by talksalot, February 07, 2024, 08:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Sycs are 20.5 favorites.

Any other information necessary?

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on February 07, 2024, 08:26:50 AM
Sycs are 20.5 favorites.

That is already more than I wanted to know.

wh

Quote from: justducky on February 07, 2024, 10:40:19 AM
Sycs are 20.5 favorites.
That is already more than I wanted to know.

Yep, they have a bumper crop of apples. It should be a great learning experience for our oranges.

AB

Over under on the back door lay ups. 4

covufan

Sycs are 20.5 favorites.

I see that Indiana State is now getting votes for top 25, landing at 27th and 28th in latest polls. Good for them and the MVC. They are a legitimate contender for at large into NCAA Tournament.

I'm unsure of the makeup of their team - how many seniors with extra Covid year, how many recruited and stayed at ISU, how many are grad transfers, etc, but I could see Powell and Valpo in this position in 2-3 years, if we can keep the promising freshmen, get more young talent, and sprinkle with a few seniors from transfer portal. Maybe not top 30, but competing for MVC championship.

ISU plays the uptempo game. We need to focus on defense and rebounding. Our offense has been more consistent lately.

Valpo 72
InSt    81

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

tiny707

vu72

Call me the eternal optimist but, ISU beat Evansville by 14 and UIC by 6.  They haven't played Ill St yet so the teams we match up well with did not get blown out.  As for their top 6 players, time wise, they play 2 sophomores, 3 juniors and a fifth year senior.  I think we can keep it within 12 or 13.  Take the points!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on February 07, 2024, 01:12:37 PM
Call me the eternal optimist but, ISU beat Evansville by 14 and UIC by 6.  They haven't played Ill St yet so the teams we match up well with did not get blown out.  As for their top 6 players, time wise, they play 2 sophomores, 3 juniors and a fifth year senior.  I think we can keep it within 12 or 13.  Take the points!

tjjvalpo

This is ISU third year.of their rebuild. Could this be Valpo in '25-'26?

tiny707

mj

Not going to win many games with poor shooting and poor rebounding.
I believe that we will win.

truth219

A rough game. There was nothing positive. Sometimes it just falls apart. Sometimes you lose big. Maybe this team needed to get embarrassed. Maybe this is the game they turn it around. Opportunity usually follows difficulty.

AB

Well oiled machine from the Trees. Great offensive chemistry and our non existent paint defense most of the year. Not a good recipe.
Will be curious of Valpo's effort to close out the year. Schweiger still a stud!

VULB#62

Forget about the barn. We couldn't hit the entire farm. Why is that?

Worst conference (MCC, HL, MVC) loss in how many years?

justducky

That was a long night. Wish I had something good to say.

Quote from: AB on February 07, 2024, 07:42:20 PMSchweiger still a stud!

Yes on offense but his defense needs lots of improvements.

valpopal

Searching for something positive, anything! Sepp finally remembered he could play offense and shoot the basketball.

tiny707

Not sure why Ola didn't play more for paint defense...

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on February 07, 2024, 08:03:08 PM
Searching for something positive, anything! Sepp finally remembered he could play offense and shoot the basketball.
Even though out rebounded by 21, we had 10 offensive rebounds to their 8! 

I don't know what our shooting or rebounding drills look like, but they need some tweaking

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on February 07, 2024, 08:35:58 PM
Even though out rebounded by 21, we had 10 offensive rebounds to their 8! 
Could be because we had 48 missed field goals to rebound and they only had 24.  :(

JD24

Anybody catch how many Bird and Carl Nicks had?

AB

Does anyone think that Indiana State has a legit chance to win a game in March Madness as a 14 seed or something? I don't think they will get an at large bid.

tiny707

UIC beat Illinois State tonight. We are now tied for last place...

vu84v2

Quote from: AB on February 07, 2024, 09:50:36 PM
Does anyone think that Indiana State has a legit chance to win a game in March Madness as a 14 seed or something? I don't think they will get an at large bid.

Indiana State is projected as an 11 seed...and they definitely can win a game with that seeding.

I will give you two positives:
1. Seeing Indiana State be this good is an indicator of how good Valpo can become.
2. If Valpo had won, it would have almost eliminated the chances of the MVC getting two teams in the NCAA tournament. Only chance is Indiana State wins out in the regular season, but then loses to a team like Drake in the conference tournament. In that case, Indiana State would get an at-large bid.