• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

WBB Valpo vs Detroit 3/9/13

Started by jack, March 08, 2013, 07:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

So.....What happens in this contest? Who steps up? How big would a win be in this one?

valpotx

It would be nice to win this one, but I don't see it.  This isn't our year, even with us playing at home:

Detroit 67
Valpo 59
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Detroit  68
Valpo  65

just because only one prediction seems lonely.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

swiftmutiny

Valpo wins 73-53 on senior night! Great job ladies! ;D

historyman

Quote from: historyman on March 09, 2013, 12:18:10 PMDetroit  68 Valpo  65 just because only one prediction seems lonely.

Very happy to be wrong.

I should have been more anticipositive
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

IndyValpo

An amazing 2nd half.  Is the box score correct?  We win by 20 and don't play one of our seniors...on senior day..

ValpoHoops

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 09, 2013, 02:19:06 PM
An amazing 2nd half.  Is the box score correct?  We win by 20 and don't play one of our seniors...on senior day..

She was not dressed. Nor did she practice yesterday. Not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure she has an injury that kept her out.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: valpotx on March 08, 2013, 09:44:23 PM
It would be nice to win this one, but I don't see it.  This isn't our year, even with us playing at home:

Detroit 67
Valpo 59

"Hi folks, I'm Tommy Lasorda and I'm a pessimistic sad sack that is constantly proven wrong in my predictions about the Lady Saders!!!"

LOL, just giving you the business Tom, but really, stick to baseball prognostication. 

SadersofthelostArc

With this win, I have to think our NCAA tourney seeding---should we win the HL tourney---just moved up.  We will be in contention for a 14 at this point.  Don't think the Goon Squad (read: NCAA tourney selection committee) was not tuned into this game.

The Lady Saders have been a sleeping giant all season long.  Well, guess what?  They just woke up.

valpotx

Very glad to see that we were proven wrong.  BTW, I am very happy sort, just realistic  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Great win. We played with a lot of energy. I'd have to say our help defense won the game on this day. Our guards did and excelent job of breaking down in the paint and helping our bigs out. Detroit couldn't get anything going inside today. They had to settle for 10ft and out, and they weren't falling for them in the second half. We played with a ton of energy today. Great to see. Some nice chemistry working out there. Congrats ladies. Way to bring in home on senior day!

LaPorteAveApostle

wish it gave us something more than a home game, like a road game in the non-GB bracket.

but still!  'Tis something!

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 09, 2013, 02:30:49 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on March 09, 2013, 02:19:06 PM

She was not dressed. Nor did she practice yesterday. Not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure she has an injury that kept her out.
Oren said "concussion" in the pre-game. I thought he and Renee' were fun to listen to when I still had them up before calling my own game today. Glad to see we won and get a home game Monday. It tears me up that I'll be too busy to attend. I'll give it a watch, though!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

VULB#62

Just wondering, and this may have been clarified long ago but I'm not aware of the details, but how come the women's bracket is different from the men's?  Here  the #1 seed (or the #2 for that matter) does not get a bye to the semis.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 09, 2013, 05:56:45 PM
wish it gave us something more than a home game, like a road game in the non-GB bracket.

but still!  'Tis something!

KL31NY

In five years of paying attention, the men's basketball tournament is the only HL tourney with that ridiculous bye system. All other sports, whether limited to 6 entries or all 9/10 teams have kept it simple along this kind of format. This bracket we're using now is the exact style we used to have for the women's soccer tournament before they whittled it down to a 6-team tourney
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

chef

Because, from a conference standpoint, it greatly matters to have the best team in the league reach the NCAA Tournament, without hurting it's RPI in the conference tournament. In all other sports, it matters very little. In other words, if a Horizon League team wins games in the NCAA Tournament it's worth millions. In the other sports, it's not worth much (to the league).

grad66

Chef, you certainly have that right!  :thumbsup:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on March 10, 2013, 02:02:00 PMBecause, from a conference standpoint, it greatly matters to have the best team in the league reach the NCAA Tournament

And also, in the (hopefully not) rare years, to have two teams make it, if possible--so leave your two best as unscathed as possible.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

jack

I'm a big fan of all teams participating, not a big fan of the buy, in any sport. I think we've all seen the results of buy weeks in the NFL. I believe a team loses their edge when they sit and wait. pedal to the medal.

jack

Can"t worry about injuries. probably a better chance of getting hurt if you sit a while, then staying on it. I have never seen any stats on this, but it would be interesting to see if sitting truly helps. If you're nursing an injury of a key player, sure, it's a benefit, but if you go into a buy healthy, I think it's a detriment to sit. JMO.

SadersofthelostArc

*slinks out of the shadows*

For those who are confused, buy=bye.

*slinks back into the shadows*

jack

VULB#62

Quote from: chef on March 10, 2013, 02:02:00 PM
Because, from a conference standpoint, it greatly matters to have the best team in the league reach the NCAA Tournament, without hurting it's RPI in the conference tournament. In all other sports, it matters very little. In other words, if a Horizon League team wins games in the NCAA Tournament it's worth millions. In the other sports, it's not worth much (to the league).

Still doesn't make sense to me.  I can see the other sports, but MBB and WBB are THE TV sports -- so why not at least set up the two HL BB tourneys the same?  That is, unless the HL WBB program is the equivalent of women's soccer in the league's eyes and the only thing that is meaningful is MBB, period.

bbtds

I guess the biggest argument against the bye system (one, two or three byes) is that sometimes the difference between one team getting two byes and another team having to play 2 extra games is a tie-breaker that goes down to whether a third team beat one of the two teams or not. That's pretty thin criteria that decides whether a team gets two byes or not.

valpo4life

If you think the Horizon League's bracket is weird, go take a look at the West Coast Conference's.  Loyola Marymount won 3 games to face Gonzaga, who was playing their first game, in the semifinals...