• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

new academic building

Started by okinawatyphoon, October 26, 2013, 09:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2014, 05:15:31 AM
Technology is always changing.  Not necessarily improving, but always changing, and going away.  Not to go all Voltaire on you, but just because I cannot easily imagine a world without computer programmers, I am unwilling to make the leap that "it will always be thus".  ("One word:  'plastics'.")

History is strewn with the carcasses of those who made that assumption and missed.

I fully understand that you can never say never, but it seriously would take robots or computers writing their own code for it really to happen.  Even in this case, you would still have someone directing said robot/computer in what they are wanting them to program.  Then again, if we end up with a robot/computer apocalypse, the machines would already have the intelligence to write their own code without our direction, and we will all be their prisoners.  But even in this scenario, they still may need some after hours support from said Software Engineers, as they probably won't be able to self-support  ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo95

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2014, 05:15:31 AM
Technology is always changing.  Not necessarily improving, but always changing, and going away.  Not to go all Voltaire on you, but just because I cannot easily imagine a world without computer programmers, I am unwilling to make the leap that "it will always be thus".  ("One word:  'plastics'.")

History is strewn with the carcasses of those who made that assumption and missed.

How many fan boards would start channeling Voltaire, or have a discussion on the future?  Nice to see that VU education paying dividends.