• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

new assistant basketball coach named

Started by vufan75, August 19, 2013, 04:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vufan75

Welcome to Valpo's new basketball Assistant Coach Matt Lottich. He played his college ball at Stanford and has played professionally mostly overseas for quite a few years. He is originally from the Chicago area north suburbs.

I can't post the link to article announcing this hire from the Valpo Athletics website...maybe someone else will. :)

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Sounds like a good addition.  Can't hurt your program to have a Stanford grad selling your academics as a part of your athletic experience  :thumbsup:
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on August 19, 2013, 05:17:02 PM
Sounds like a good addition.  Can't hurt your program to have a Stanford grad selling your academics as a part of your athletic experience  :thumbsup:

I agree.  Certainly more playing experience than Jake and probably much better recruiting background as well as Chicago connections.  I'm sure he is a good man as Bryce wouldn't hire someone who didn't fit the program.  Very solid pick.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

They may be a little older and somewhat slower, but the coaching staff could put a decent team on the floor for practice if they wanted: Roger Powell, Luke Gore, Ben Boggs, Matt Lottich, and Bryce Drew.  ;D

wh

Take a look at this Bryce-type buzzer beater that Matt had as a player at Stanford.  Stanford was undefeated and ranked No.1 at the time.

Lottich's Buzzer Beater Against Washington St. 2004.

valpotx

Ah yes, the Josh Childress years.  Haven't heard much from him
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

That was actually a pretty ugly finish to a game. But then again there are a lot of teams that play ugly and win a lot. It was a nice shot by Lottich.

I only have one thing to say about Lottich playing in the bj League in Japan.

I wonder if he played for the Akita Northern Happy Nets. They must be the exact opposite of the Brooklyn Nets.

vufan75

Quote from: valpotx on August 19, 2013, 05:17:02 PM

Interesting observation valpotx. And here is what Paul Oren reported yesterday based on what Matt Lottich said in a tweet after being announced as new Valpo Assistant Coach yesterday.   

Paul Oren‏@NWIOren  19h
Lottich compared Valpo to Stanford and said the student-athletes are very similar. #HLMBB

Sounds like a nice compliment in general for Valpo student-athletes, to be compared with highly regarded Stanford athletes. 

vu84v2

Andrew Luck studied architectural engineering at Stanford (and graduated, I think)

Tiger Woods studied economics at Stanford (and never graduated, I think)

valpotx

Btw, how ridiculous is our coaching staff?  I believe that we have two significant contributors to an NCAA team that was #1 at some point during their career, as well as a first round NBA draft pick as the head coach.  All 3 are young coaches that can relate better with the players nowadays.  I am going to enjoy this while it lasts...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

It sounds like Coach Lottich could be counted as another recruit by Coach Powell:

Inside Valpo Athletics: Coach Lottich 8|22|13

setshot

Standing 6'4" and weighing 205 lbs.,Lottich reminds me of Wah Wah Jones of KY. who played with Beard and Groza in the late 40's. Jones was a forward,but damn he was good. Anyhow,welcome to Valpo coach. I'm expecting 24 wins as a minimum. Go Valpo!

valpotx

Who replaced setshot with Mr. Positivity???
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on August 22, 2013, 10:53:01 PM

Football hasn't played a game yet...

covufan

Quote from: valporun on August 23, 2013, 12:26:08 PM
Quote from: valpotx on August 22, 2013, 10:53:01 PM

Football hasn't played a game yet...

How true.  Also, there was no nepotism is this hire.  He has problems with the appearance of nepotism.  Did setshot ever comment on the UDetroit problems earlier this summer?