• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Opponents' Schedule & Results 2013-14

Started by bbtds, October 28, 2013, 07:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Oakland and Detroit put on a great show tonight in front of a packed house at the O'rena and a national TV audience on ESPNU.  The final score was Oakland 83 Detroit 82 in O.T.  The game featured a big time shootout between Howard (33 pts) and Bader (30 pts), as well. This new rivalry can't help but give a boost to both programs and the league.  Congratulations to both teams.  There were no losers tonight. 

HC

Except Detroit, who actually lost the game  :thumbsup:

Smj

Don't really have a vested interest but Detroit should have been shooting free throws at the end of regulation for the possible win. ...   obvious foul that really should have been called.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 14, 2014, 08:53:41 PM
There were no losers tonight. 
Quote from: HC on February 14, 2014, 09:34:13 PMExcept Detroit, who actually lost the game

I'd say Felder sewed up Newcomer of the Year tonight.  Always seems like there's a couple fearsome guards to contend with, and now that Perry is (finally) moving on, there's definitely someone to pass the torch to.

(Or The Scorch, if he visits us during baseball season.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

Fielder had the second triple double the year for the HL and nearly pulled of the first quadruple double with his 9 turnovers!

He and Lexus are going to be fun to watch go head to head at point the next few years.

wh

Last night's Detroit/Oakland game got some great coverage in the Detroit Free Press, including this video post game report and press conference:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140214/SPORTS08/302140148/oakland-detroit-recap

I'm assuming Detroit TV stations gave it a lot of pub, as well.  As someone who lives in the Chicago media market, I can vouch for the fact that Loyola/UIC games NEVER received this kind of publicity, or more accurately never received publicity period. This is definitely a nice step change for the Horizon League.   

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2014, 11:28:54 AM
Last night's Detroit/Oakland game got some great coverage in the Detroit Free Press, including this video post game report and press conference:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140214/SPORTS08/302140148/oakland-detroit-recap

I'm assuming Detroit TV stations gave it a lot of pub, as well.  As someone who lives in the Chicago media market, I can vouch for the fact that Loyola/UIC games NEVER received this kind of publicity, or more accurately never received publicity period. This is definitely a nice step change for the Horizon League.   
But even for the Free Press, that coverage was wildly out of the ordinary -- for either team.  Even the Titans often get short shrift (The Oakland Press covers Oakland fairly well, so I'm really digging on the Free Press for their usual coverage of the Titans -- it's not Chicago bad, but it is kind of disappointing).

wh

Even if all the additional press coverage applies only to the times they play each other, that's still better than what they were receiving  - and far beyond what the Chicago media ever did for UIC and Loyola.   

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on February 15, 2014, 01:37:21 PM
Even if all the additional press coverage applies only to the times they play each other, that's still better than what they were receiving  - and far beyond what the Chicago media ever did for UIC and Loyola.   
Is it because chicago's college team is northwestern or DePaul?  There are more/better college teams in Chicago than the 2 in Detroit.
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 15, 2014, 02:08:41 PM
Quote from: wh on February 15, 2014, 01:37:21 PM
Is it because chicago's college team is northwestern or DePaul?  There are more/better college teams in Chicago than the 2 in Detroit.
It's not the Free Press's job to cover Northwestern or DePaul.  It *should* bloody well be their job to cover the Titans with something better on a weekly basis than the equivalent of a bland AP report.

LaPorteAveApostle

you know, i was shocked looking at the B1G standings (I normally don't look very far, since Michigan is at the top, ahem) and saw Illinois.

They are awful.  I thought they might be a middle-of-the-pack team, but that makes two years in a row we've lost to a bottom-feeder in the B1G.

After last night, though, I don't want to underestimate Bryce.  Maybe he's just playing pool shark and once they think it's safe to schedule us more then
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Watched much of the WSU- Oakland game which WSU came back from down 13 late to win 72-71.

The more I watch Petros play the better I appreciate his talents. Wright St couldn't make the big run until Petros fouled out. I think that if this were pro ball and I were General Manager I would offer Kampe a trade of any 2 of the trio of Capo, Fernandez or Gueye and if he took it we would (for this year) get the better of the trade. Petros will occasionally set a high ball screen but the Oakland versatility of movement seems to make the WSU defense much less physical.    Thoughts?

valpopal

I think Petros is a fine player who I like, but I think you might over-value him a bit. After all, in the recent game between Oakland and Valpo he got 14 points & 7 rebounds while playing 39 minutes. The combination of Gueye & Capobianco score 19 points and had 14 rebounds in only 35 minutes of play.

Still, I think Petros and Oakland were robbed today. Petros fouled out on a phantom foul like the ones we've seen against our big men. After he fouled out, Oakland fell apart and lost a game they seemingly had won.

valpotx

Once again, someone saying that Petros is actually good.  He must play better in these other games, as he looks like crap to me when he plays Valpo, regardless of his end of game stats.  This isn't my brown and gold-colored glasses either, as I think that Tiby from UWM is good, and will be tough over the next 2 years
"Don't mess with Texas"