• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters article

Started by wh, December 13, 2013, 06:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on December 15, 2013, 03:12:18 PM
I think Brandon Wood would've been drafted into the NBA if he decided to stay at Valpo instead of transfer to Michigan State. I think being a superstar in a good conference would've done much more for him than being a decent player in arguably the best basketball conference.

That's incredibly false. Wood was not on any mock drafts or big boards coming out of Valpo, and the only chance he had at the NBA draft was if he performed well on a big stage. Wood had a guaranteed shot to make a splash in the tournament. He had the opportunity to play in front of scouts and play a dozen of nationally televised games. At Valpo, he wouldn't have been guaranteed a tourney game, and would've only been on ESPN maybe once/ESPN2 a couple of times. A game on an aircraft carrier in front of the president... or playing in Cleveland on ESPN2? I'll take the boat.

And it's not like he was putting up Nate Wolters numbers at Valpo. Playing alongside great bigs like Green, Nix, and Payne was just as big as an advantage for a guard as playing against inferior competition. Wood wasn't getting Nate Wolters, Isaiah Canaan, or CJ McCollum-like publicity... these guards were known for years while playing in their mid major programs. Even Ray Jr was seen as a NBA talent since he arrived in Detroit. Wood was always a longshot and him staying at Valpo wouldn't have changed anything.

StlVUFan

Quote from: classof2014 on December 15, 2013, 10:17:54 PMAgree with that he isn't transferring. Like I said he had options to go elsewhere and chose good ol' Valpo over them, it's obviously paying off quite well right now for him.

To the person who, during the Evansville game, started predicting in the chatroom that Peters would transfer:  Excellent troll, sir!!!

:clap:

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 16, 2013, 10:28:57 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on December 15, 2013, 10:17:54 PMAgree with that he isn't transferring. Like I said he had options to go elsewhere and chose good ol' Valpo over them, it's obviously paying off quite well right now for him.

To the person who, during the Evansville game, started predicting in the chatroom that Peters would transfer:  Excellent troll, sir!!!

:clap:

Good times... good times.

LaPorteAveApostle

a3, was that you?  i could go back and check the transcript, but who has that kind of time this time of year?

(seriously, not a rhetorical question.  i have a ditch over here that needs digging if you've got that kind of time.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Chairback

It was me.  And StlVUFan still hasn't let it go as he freaked out during the chat also.  There is no evidence....   You need to understand it's a bunch of dudes online chatting during a basketball game. The game was so bad that every turnover and bad play someone was chatting something ridiculous (and funny).

However with college basketball the way it is you'd be foolish to think young players who are good at the mid major level do not get contacted.  I have to believe there are situations where someone gets into the ear of a player and tells them they are at the wrong place.  Would you really be surprised if any of our great freshman moved on to a bigger school?  I wouldn't.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 17, 2013, 05:29:31 PM
a3, was that you?  i could go back and check the transcript, but who has that kind of time this time of year?

(seriously, not a rhetorical question.  i have a ditch over here that needs digging if you've got that kind of time.)

It's like you don't even know me :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

well, it's not like that, bro.  i assumed you would've been straight-up trolling all the way!
_____

as far as transferring...why would someone transfer if they had better options to begin with?  Alec connected with Bryce; he's a star on a good team that's getting better.  Why would he go someplace else?  95% of D1 is further away from his home...

I will grant you that "up-transferring" is a growing thing, but it's still a fraction of regular transferring, i.e. to a lower school to get more PT.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpower

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 17, 2013, 08:17:54 PM
I will grant you that "up-transferring" is a growing thing, but it's still a fraction of regular transferring, i.e. to a lower school to get more PT.

Is this trend really "up-transferring" or a continued movement toward parity?  Is Keith Carter's transfer a downward move or a betrayal of a BCS bias you might unwittingly have?  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

wh

So, there's a 10-12% chance in a given year that a player might transfer, and it hasn't changed much in the last several years.  Or, if a player graduates in 4 years and still has a year of eligibility he might be 1 of 30 in all of basketball to up-transfer. I think we can sleep ok tonight with those odds.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Chairback on December 17, 2013, 07:43:31 PM
It was me.  And StlVUFan still hasn't let it go as he freaked out during the chat also.  There is no evidence....   You need to understand it's a bunch of dudes online chatting during a basketball game. The game was so bad that every turnover and bad play someone was chatting something ridiculous (and funny).

Um, it took me at most a second or two that night to let it go.  Since then, I've been coyly hinting at what I figured out that night: that it was a joke.  I'm not 100% certain I even flinched at all in the chatroom.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well dangit.  My curiosity was piqued and I just looked up our chat history but apparently it doesn't go back before Dec 7 at the moment.

We'll just never know now...

usc4valpo

Not sure I agree there.  Also, Michigan State has better graduate study opportunities than Valpo.

LaPorteAveApostle