• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo's Fan Base

Started by gamelord, December 17, 2013, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Quote from: classof2014 on December 17, 2013, 10:43:07 PM
I'm hoping Illinois will make the journey to Valpo next year. Groce has had a history of playing Valpo in the past and perhaps we can spark a regular home at home rivalry with Illinois. Also if we could get Butler once a year that would be great, really spark the rivalry back up.

Valpo hasn't had a true marquee opponent come to the ARC in the OOC since Purdue in 2010-2011 season. I would love to see more games against B1G schools, since any game against a B1G would draw a big crowd (no pun intended) and perhaps spark some interstate rivalries as well.

While having Illinois and Butler at the ARC would be great, I recommend that you don't hold your breath.  Butler will forever refuse to play us at their place or ours, and Illinois would require that our 'home' game be at a professional sports arena.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

I have to agree with Tex.  It's certainly not for lack of trying that we don't see bigger schools at the ARC.

Why would they want to come?  The only thing in it is the significant RPI bump from a road win.  There's not as much money to be made; there's unlikely to be as much exposure; plus since we look good, there's not even the certainty of the road win.

I really think we are seeing (as discussed in another thread) the separation of Ginormous D1 from the Rest of Us, similar to the new "6A" class in IHSAA.  Or like the Democrats & Republicans inviting a 3rd party candidate to the debate.  Why would they do something not in their interest?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

I thought this was interesting.  It comes from the HL fan forum. 

Here are attendance averages so far in the Horizon this year. There are a couple non-con games left in January, but they are both road games. Before comparing to the numbers above, note that attendance is usually higher during the conference season.

1. Green Bay 3898
2. UIC 3531*
3. Wright State 3295
4. Oakland 3115**
5. Valparaiso 2701
6. Milwaukee 2477
7. Detroit 2089
8. Cleveland State 1918
9. Youngstown State 1460***

* Does not include Illinois game at United Center. Per NCAA rules for home games, this was designated neutral.
** Includes Michigan State game at Palace at Auburn Hills, per NCAA rules for home games. Without this game, OU averages 1322.
*** Does not include Robert Morris game, for which YSU did not report attendance. Including that game, per NCAA rules, lowers average to 1252

Read more: http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net/thread/461/horizon-conference-home-attendance-figures#ixzz2pCdsWmDa

Best attended games:
1. Michigan State @ Oakland 13,873
2. Wisconsin @ Green Bay 9906
3. Virginia @ Green Bay 6491
4. Northwestern @ UIC 5630
5. Drake @ UIC 5245
6. SMU @ UIC 4438
7. Murray State @ Valparaiso 4277
8. Bowling Green @ Wright State 3864
9. St. Louis @ Valparaiso 3564
10. Manchester @ Wright State 3486
11. Alcorn State @ Wright State 3211

Read more: http://horizonleaguefans.freeforums.net/thread/461/horizon-conference-home-attendance-figures#ixzz2pCeZlWbV
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Considering the MSU-OAK game was at an NBA arena and odds are 85-90% were MSU fans that should probably be thrown out.

Could someone pull together the attendance vs. the amount the arena holds.  The Resch Center and Nutter Center are much larger than the ARC obviously, so their attendance will be slightly inflated.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

HC

I think more so then what the arena holds, home city population is more important when looking at attendance.

a3uge

Quote from: HC on January 13, 2014, 05:45:48 PM
I think more so then what the arena holds, home city population is more important when looking at attendance.

Nobody in the HL really sells out their games, so stadium size is kind irrelevant.