• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at ETSU 12/29 final tune up

Started by HC, December 23, 2013, 08:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on December 29, 2013, 11:39:20 AM
Quote from: historyman on December 29, 2013, 11:07:08 AM
Quote from: etsuHoops on December 27, 2013, 10:40:26 AMif you guys have decent 3 point shooters,
in our last game on the road that "if" became a huge "no" but I truly see it turning around when some of the shots, any shots, start to fall. So much of the game is about confidence. Confidence in individual ability, team ability and coaching ability.
The last game was just a mess, shooting 32% from the 3, most of the good shots came way to late.  The game before however we shot 62% from the 3 and for the season 39+%.  It continues to be turnovers that will determine if can win or not.  For the season we have 209 assts to 210 tos.  Not good. Take Moussa's 29 tos to 8 assts out of the mix and we aren't too bad, but that would also remove a team leading 30 blocks.
I would say that turnovers also have a lot to do with confidence in team ability. Although mostly with the opponent's harassing defense.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

At the women's game.... What's te recommended way to stream the men's radio feed on an iPhone?

oklahomamick

What's the vegas line on our game?  Can't find it anywhere. 
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: agibson on December 29, 2013, 02:42:07 PMAt the women's game.... What's te recommended way to stream the men's radio feed on an iPhone?
My preferred is the Tune-in app.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

Yeah, it seemed like there wasn't one (a Vegas line).

The video feed seems to have the tone wrong too... We'll see.

agibson

Quote from: historyman on December 29, 2013, 02:48:37 PM
Quote from: agibson on December 29, 2013, 02:42:07 PMAt the women's game.... What's te recommended way to stream the men's radio feed on an iPhone?
My preferred is the Tune-in app.

Cool - thanks.  That's working at least.

StlVUFan

The A-Sun video link is not working yet.  The list of upcoming games shows a 6:50pm start time.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Wow, huge Southern twang on one of the announcers lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on December 29, 2013, 03:02:38 PM
Wow, huge Southern twang on one of the announcers lol

Yes, big twang, bad video quality, and bad valpo bball.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

It seems like we stand a lot on offense.  Few cuts and not enough motion as I've seen in the past.  Our zone is easy to penetrate.
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

Horrible offensive flow. No one is a solid 3 shooter and we are not attacking the weak points in a zone. More turnovers than points almost end of 1st half. Aaaarrrggghhh. Better get fixed quickly or best of 8-8 in conference.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

This video feed sure makes you appreciate the HLN.

Horrible camera position, lagging and buffery (or I'd it just me?), low res, a buzz on the audio feed.

Blurry too? Or maybe that's just the low res .

At least it's free!

oklahomamick

Opponent has doubled our score again at halftime...
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Lexus looks good at the point.  He's quick with dribble penetration.  Reminds me of buggs, but a better shooter. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on December 29, 2013, 03:44:03 PM
Horrible offensive flow. No one is a solid 3 shooter and we are not attacking the weak points in a zone. More turnovers than points almost end of 1st half. Aaaarrrggghhh. Better get fixed quickly or best of 8-8 in conference.
The video is so bad that I will not speak to the turnovers until I see the boxscore, but their top of the zone pressure is an open invitation for Peters, Adekoya, Coleman and Capo to move or receive the ball inside where there is more open room. Lexus seems to be saying "don't forget about me". Back after the game.

govalpogo

Dear oh dear,  I haven't been able to watch any of the last three games but the box scores seem to indicate maybe a lack of focus or chemistry or something.  Gotta regroup for league play, the year is far from over!

valpotx

Better second half, but you really shouldn't be down 20 to these types of teams.  It makes no sense that we have such pitiful starts to just about every game, and then make a game of it at the end.  We ended up 8-7 (truly 5-7, with 3 non-D1 wins) in non-conference, so hopefully our guys learned something from it all (including Bryce).  We will be playing better teams than an ETSU or Evansville in just about every conference game, so we need to be much sharper.  Having 18 turnovers in the first half was sad to watch, but only 6 in the second half.  Vashil had a good overall game in 31 minutes, with 10 pts/14 rebounds/3 blocks.  It can be so painful to watch this team at times, even more than our last bad team of 2008-2009.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on December 29, 2013, 05:11:02 PM
We ended up 8-7 (truly 5-7, with 3 non-D1 wins) in non-conference, so hopefully our guys learned something from it all (including Bryce)..

I had forecast 5-4 in November and 3-3 in December, which have turned out to be correct predictions, but I was hoping for better.  :(

truth219

Lexus Williams should be the starting point guard. That's my opinion. Have carter get rid of the rust coming off the bench.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

justducky

I thought all along that Carter should come off the bench and earn his playing time and now I would think that Lexus has reclaimed his starting position. Right now our half-court offense and our zone defense just seem to work a little better with Williams in the game. This might not be true a month from now but until then Keith needs some trial and error time from bench appearances. Today we were given a lot of room inside the arc to generate some offense for our 3,4 and 5 positions but did not respond to that opportunity in time. The world has finally realized that our bigs are not good off the dribble and their post up games are also pretty weak.
Be patient. I have been thinking all along that everything should start to come together in mid to late Jan and we are not quite there yet.

vu72

We now look like a very young, inexperienced team!  Shocking, I know.  The reality is our opponents now have film and are pressuring our kids where they are weakest.  Once again Alec leads the team in turnovers, many of which are just extremely sloppy.  It seems like Lexus and Jubril are maturing the fastest.

Great to see the team get it together in the second half and perhaps Vashil's best game ever.  Right now we won't win any road games.  Getting back home hopefully will stop the bleeding.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Quote from: vu72 on December 29, 2013, 07:35:44 PMRight now we won't win any road games.  Getting back home hopefully will stop the bleeding.

Unfortunately, our first conference game is on the road against Oakland.
CRUSADERS!!!

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 29, 2013, 07:50:17 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 29, 2013, 07:35:44 PMRight now we won't win any road games.  Getting back home hopefully will stop the bleeding.

Our first conference game is at home against UIC.

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on December 29, 2013, 08:29:58 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on December 29, 2013, 07:50:17 PM
Our first conference game is at home against UIC.
Correct. This Thursday, Jan. 2. UIC at the ARC. Thanks for the reminder. I had almost forgotten, myself.