• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Predicting January

Started by wh, December 29, 2013, 10:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will our January record be?

8-0
0 (0%)
7-1
0 (0%)
6-2
2 (11.1%)
5-3
5 (27.8%)
4-4
10 (55.6%)
3-5
1 (5.6%)
2-6
0 (0%)
1-7
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: January 01, 2014, 10:51:40 PM

wh

Following is the January schedule, which also comprises the first half of conference play:

Jan 2    UIC
Jan 4    at Oakland
Jan 10 Wright State
Jan 15 at Detroit
Jan 18 Milwaukee
Jan 23 at Youngstown State
Jan 25 at Cleveland State
Jan 29 Green Bay

valpotx

4-4, losing all of the road games. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

setshot

4-4. The fire drill continues. :crazy:

EddieCabot

I also picked 4-4.  Losses at OU, YSU, CSU and home to GB.

Chairback

2-6  only wins are at Detroit and home vs Milw.

valpopal

I was realistic/pessimistic and accurate in November and December, but I am going to begin the new year with optimism and hope for a bit of a turnaround like we saw last January: 5-3.

talksalot

I'll go with 5-3... but don't ask me which ones are Ws or Ls.

wh

Just a brief reminder that voting closes Wednesday night at 10:50 p.m. CT. 

VUfan

3-1 at home a loss to Milwaukee and 1-3 road record, a road win at Detroit, they learn to play some defense.

Kyle321n

5-3 I like all the home games and at Detroit
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

4-4 with wins UIC, Wright St, Milwaukee at home, and @ Detroit on the road.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

This might be the time to own up to being the most optimistic person on the thread, or board.

Also my comprehensive look at the HL non-con is up:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/2014/01/01/horizon-league-the-non-con-2013/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 01, 2014, 10:25:39 PMThis might be the time to own up to being the most optimistic person on the thread, or board. Also my comprehensive look at the HL non-con is up: http://www.valpofanzone.com/2014/01/01/horizon-league-the-non-con-2013/
I don't think 6-2 is impossible. It just seems the way this team is trending it doesn't seem likely. I would never put it past Bryce and coaching staff to figure things out and get this team to cut the mistakes, gain a ton of confidence and turn things around during the conference season.

The emergence of Keith Carter was great to see last night and added a nice and very important building block to Valpo turning into a 6-2 team for January instead of a 4-4 or 3-5 team. It really helps for this team to play at home so 4-4 is still a real possibility with losses coming in 3 of the road games and most likely losing one home game to a hot conference opponent. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

atkins

wh

Congratulations to the 5 voters who accurately predicted a 5-3 January!

historyman

Losing at home to Wright St, winning on the road at YSU and beating Green Bay at home to spoil a perfect league record for the Phoenix were the surprises for me. Although we knew there would be surprises.

Anybody think we Valpo can go 6-2 for Feb/March and end up with an 11-5 league record? Anyone with the courage to predict it?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

I said 6-2 and they were 5-3.  So I said 7-1 because they'll be 6-2.

If that's courage, I'll take the merit badge I guess.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SanityLost17

The Oakland game was a missed opportunity.  They live and die by the 3 and in the last 5 minutes against us they certainly lived by it.