• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Wright State at Valpo, Jan. 10th, Friday 8:00 p.m. CT Game Thread

Started by historyman, January 06, 2014, 01:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

I believe it was on their Facebook page, something regarding this game was along with a link to the ticket office.

justducky

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2014, 01:14:15 PMI'm expecting a very good crowd. Upper deck full except the corners, that's my prediction. And a rocking student section with the full pep band intact.
I am not opptimistic that the general public will show up in great numbers. My guess is for 3300 tops and might be much less. I hope that I am dead wrong.

wh

Spread: Valpo -4

Sounds about right.  In our favor, WSU is dealing with some injuries right now and they have yet to win on the road.  To our detriment, we are still changing lineups and rotations after 17 games.  Hopefully, home court will carry the day.

Valparaiso has come up short late in games this season

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-has-come-up-short-late-in-games-this-season/article_2ecb6aa0-3e37-58f6-8e41-896ef1870fd5.html

GORCHES: Team first for Valpo freshman Jubril Adekoya

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/24862970-556/gorches-team-first-for-valpo-freshman-jubril-adekoya.html

What is that final paragraph supposed to mean?

oklahomamick

There Adekoya goes again with that team-first thing. But if everybody on Valparaiso can think that way, maybe, just maybe, the team can start playing cohesively for close to 40 minutes.

It appeared Gorches has a very high standard for this young Valpo team.  Maybe he thinks the team is underachieving. 
CRUSADERS!!!

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on January 06, 2014, 04:40:02 PMThis game will be on ESPNU

If memory serves, this means an ESPN3 blackout unless you subscribe to ESPNU?

Annoying!  Will have to weigh our options: send one parent, or both stay home for the radio broadcast.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on January 10, 2014, 10:26:40 AM
Quote from: a3uge on January 06, 2014, 04:40:02 PMThis game will be on ESPNU

If memory serves, this means an ESPN3 blackout unless you subscribe to ESPNU?

Annoying!  Will have to weigh our options: send one parent, or both stay home for the radio broadcast.

Unless you have a very basic TV package I would think you get ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.  Perhaps what you are implying when you say ESPN3 is blackout is that the computer is your only way to watch. An upgrade to include ESPNU if you don't have it already can't be very much.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

someone will post a pirate link here, i'm sure.

i mean, i don't know who, but you know, someone.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on January 10, 2014, 10:41:21 AMUnless you have a very basic TV package I would think you get ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.  Perhaps what you are implying when you say ESPN3 is blackout is that the computer is your only way to watch. An upgrade to include ESPNU if you don't have it already can't be very much.

We're on comcast currently, with their "triple play" which might default to one of the lowest tiers of digital cable.  We get a couple of hundred channels (or more?) but the selection of sports channels seems... eclectic.

We get Comcast Sports Net, and we get NBC Sports Network (very useful for british soccer! my usual saturday morning ritual now), but I'm 99% sure we don't get ESPNU. 

We get the BigTenNetwork, and FoxSportsOne, and maybe Fox College Sports (does that still exist?).   We get maybe one more of the sometimes-useful soccer networks, but not, I think BeInSport or Fox Soccer Network.

So, a mixed bag.

My recollection is that, last I checked, to get ESPNU we had to add a whole other sports tier.  So, it wasn't negligible.  Maybe $10 a month more, or some such?  Maybe $20? 

Not really sure why I mentioned ESPN3, except that you could imagine a world (and maybe it's even true for the archive?) where anyone with ESPN3 access could see the game that way.  But, I think, they actually do specifically check your subscription and black you out if you happen not to have ESPNU (even if you do have ESPN).

chef

I always say listen on the radio/computer even if you do get ESPNU!

StlVUFan

Quote from: chef on January 10, 2014, 12:56:30 PM
I always do.  I prefer play-by-play with my basketball games.

StlVUFan

Quote from: justducky on January 09, 2014, 10:15:42 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on January 09, 2014, 01:14:15 PMI'm expecting a very good crowd. Upper deck full except the corners, that's my prediction. And a rocking student section with the full pep band intact.
I am not opptimistic that the general public will show up in great numbers. My guess is for 3300 tops and might be much less. I hope that I am dead wrong.
WSU fans really travel well, so in the "every-little-bit-helps" department, there's that.

VUfan

In Checking our local provider Charter you need Gold Service, 20 Dollars per month to get ESPNU  the top tier service. The U sells the game to the highest bidder at least in Wisconsin. WAKE is a good deal. :(

vu72

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:36:57 PM

Isn't the feed out of whack?  You know, seeing what happened a few seconds ahead of Todd's call(or the other way around!)?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

StlVUFan

Quote from: vu72 on January 10, 2014, 03:48:16 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:36:57 PM

Isn't the feed out of whack?  You know, seeing what happened a few seconds ahead of Todd's call(or the other way around!)?

DVR.

/drops mic

vu72

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:37:42 PM
Quote from: justducky on January 09, 2014, 10:15:42 PM
WSU fans really travel well, so in the "every-little-bit-helps" department, there's that.

Well, I just checked the ticket site (if it can be believed) and there are about 50 seats left on the chairback side and about 200 on the lower reserved side. The upper deck is a sea of availability.
The weather looks bad with a forecasted near 40 temp (good) but a 100 % chance of precip, probably in the form of rain, but if the temp drops--ice?  Not exactly the stuff that makes you want to leave the comfort of your living room when you can watch it on the tube.

ProudValpoAlum705

I am getting back to the ARC with my wife for the first time since North Park. I am optimistic this game will be well attended.

I understand the love for High School basketball, but it continues to confuse me that the public chooses to attend those games over D-I athletics. Keith Carter alone is worth the price of admission. I am very excited to see him live.

The word "ESPN" will draw the student section. When I was a student, it was often frustrating finding a seat for these games. As a regular (missed 4 home games in 4 years) many 'fair weather' and 'Look I am on TV' fans really dominate the front sections.

With Griffin and Yoho out, and Pacher Questionable, it may be a short bench for the Raiders. For a team that only scores 69.1 points a game, losing your 3rd leading scorer (Yoho) is big in some views statistically, but this is a team structure around everyone scoring. If Pacher is out, this changes the game entirely. The question of the game will be how Valpo will respond to the physicality of their conference leading defense. Valpo handled a tougher defense opponent well (SLU). As usual, if Valpo can keep turnovers down, we will see an impressive team on the court. Hopefully today is the day we see a complete game (Solid 1st and 2nd halves).

Prediction: Valpo 78 - WSU 64

Seats for the Game: Chairback G, Row K, Seat 5 and 6
Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, Our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious Are known throughout the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, See our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: ProudValpoAlum705 on January 10, 2014, 04:03:52 PMChairback G, Row K
must be from Chesterton

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:49:59 PMDVR.

/drops mic
true but that wouldn't work if the (live) radio were ahead of the (live) TV...you could never catch up
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bw12

Quote from: ProudValpoAlum705 on January 10, 2014, 04:03:52 PM
As usual, if Valpo can keep turnovers down, we will see an impressive team on the court. Hopefully today is the day we see a complete game (Solid 1st and 2nd halves).

I am really hoping to see a complete game. The Oakland game was the first time this season that I felt we played really really well in the first half. However, something happened at halftime (sadly I was there to witness).

I believe this team is getting close to putting together a whole game and feel Wright State will be a great test. As you said lets keep the turnovers down and play two halves of basketball and get the win tonight!

My guess is the commentators will downplay our team and uptalk WSU. However, I believe they will be presently surprised to see a great Valpo win where the team played an excellent and complete game.

Valpo 70 - WSU 62

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 10, 2014, 04:15:48 PM
Quote from: ProudValpoAlum705 on January 10, 2014, 04:03:52 PMChairback G, Row K
must be from Chesterton

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 10, 2014, 03:49:59 PMDVR.

/drops mic
true but that wouldn't work if the (live) radio were ahead of the (live) TV...you could never catch up
True, and that has happened on occasion.

I don't care, myself.  I can't bear the ESPN announcers that do HL games (I don't mind the HLN game of the week guys as much when they're on HLN and maybe espn3 but not really an ESPN production).  I'll live with the time-shift.

truth219

I hope Lexus continues to shoot the three...he had been locked in lately.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

chef

If you listen to the games off the internet feed (valpoathletics.com), the radio feed should always be behind the TV feed.

chef

Vest, Griffin, and Yoho are not in uniform. Everybody else will play.

LaPorteAveApostle

atkins

An embarrassment on TV.  Against the Wright State bench.  This is a sorry example of college basketball.