• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Detroit, 1/15/14 6PM CST tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 14, 2014, 12:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

I guess our collective reticence towards the rest of the season is literally indicated here, since I never start game threads, and am doing so fewer than 30 hours before tipoff.

Remember when this used to be a rivalry?
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1163.0 (game one)
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1240.0 (eh, well, game two)

People that don't know stuff don't remember:

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/detroit-oakland-renew-revilary-011114
Dana Wakiji from FSDetroit.  I mean, even the hyperlink has a typo.

Then again, given how they revile each other, maybe it's intentional.

Remember how it used to feel to hate?  Someone?  Anyone? Ah, the memories.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1024.msg23467#msg23467
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

The problem I have maintaining a healthy hatred of the Detroit Titans is that I don't dislike their message board fans.  Yes, they inexcusably defended the Little Ray dunk and some even downplayed the '313' vandalism, but overall they seem to be respectful, fair-minded people. 

valpotx

We can't win on the road:

Detroit 76
Valpo 65
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on January 14, 2014, 01:16:30 PMthey seem to be respectful, fair-minded people except at least as regards Mr. Robert Capobianco
fixed it for you
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

I am hoping we can stop the back slide. ...   talent-wise we should win but can we put everything together?

vu72

I'm having a hard time predicting anymore as my predictions tend to come back and bite me in the butt!  Nonetheless, I'll say Detroit 75 Valpo 70.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

VU 64
Detroit 74

The inexplicable downward spiral from the competitive OOC games we played in November and December continues. 

Paul

HC

Valpo by 1. I decided it wasn't detroit I hated, or even their fans really....but instead my dislike was strictly for Ray Jr. He is gone so now they are just another game on the schedule for me.

LaPorteAveApostle

a3uge

Hoping for a big game out of the Bobby the Thug.

valpopal

This team still has to prove it can win on the road in conference play, and whatever chances Valpo may have will rest upon the health of Dority's sore back. Much of the Crusader offense this year flows through LaVonte.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on January 14, 2014, 04:54:32 PM
Hoping for a big game out of the Bobby the Thug.
In the interest of keeping the rivalry hot I think that Bobby should start even if he is saddled with a hamstring, back problems, two sprained ankles and a severe case of the flu. He might not be able to block any windmill dunks but he might be able to infect a few key players.  ::)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on January 14, 2014, 04:54:32 PMHoping for a big game out of the Bobby the Thug.
YOU PUT YER DIRTY WORDS IN SCARE QUOTES WHEN YER TALKIN TO ME

me i'm just hoping to see him more than 3 minutes...

The Gueye--Njoku battle should be epic.

VUfan

Lets get the rest of the Season going right now!!! Vu 71 DMU 67 We don't let them get going and keep it that way! ::)

Smj

If Lexus starts, plays well in the first half and then gets moved to a supporting role in the second half again ...  I swear I'll turn off the game.

Not sure I agree that Dority is the key to our offense.  I think the key to our offense needs to be spreading out the defense so we can get some"real" passing lanes.   I think when we get into an offensive slump it is either because we pass around the outside or because we force a well guarded drive to the basket.

ProudValpoAlum705

Valpo Fans,

My last prediction was no where close to correct. I have noticed a steady regression in the last few games, mainly from early season favorite Alec Peters. He does not look confident with anything he is doing on the court. Besides the second half of UIC, I have been surprisingly unimpressed with Keith Carter.

The inner-Cub fan wants to say this season can still be turned around, but the facts are showing a different story.

I was very irritated, but having a hard time not feeling the same way, by a fan sitting behind me at the Wright State game. He kept repeating "I'm not gonna come to watch this crap anymore." I understand a winning team draws fans, but it was hard to listen to him be so negative. What happened to loyalty in sports?

Positive outlook prediction: VU 74 UDM 66

Turnover Plauged Actuallity: UDM 78 VU 65
Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, Our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious Are known throughout the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, See our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold!

Smj

proudvalpoalum...   While I say I'll stop watching - i won't.    I will however stop expecting too much and just enjoy the good plays.

classof2014

I'm not quite ready to say this is a lost season. We're 1-2 in league play, and we really should be 2-1, if it wasn't for some crazy 3's made in the Oakland game. So far we've played like garbage in one league game.

This team can play at a much better level than they did against Wright State. Let us not forget, we nearly knocked off SLU, could've beaten teams like Illinois and Ohio, as well as Mercer. All very tough opponents. As well we have logged wins against Central Florida and Mercer. We've played 3 terrible games this season. Just three, every other loss we could've easily won, the second game to CFU, ETS, and WS were all awful games.

Let us not forget this is a young team, they're taking their lumps. This is a really big game tonight. It's not gonna be perfect, I don't think we'll play like we did against Wright State. I think it's gonna be a close game, it's a toss-up really. Detroit is young and so are we so anything can happen. Don't forget last season we had some pretty bad losses as well and let us not forget about what happened in Detroit last year, it was really the turning point of the season. Either way this could be the turning point of the season.

I'm not gonna predict the score or who's gonna win because it's a toss up. All I am betting on is that there will be turn-overs-a-plenty.

a3uge

https://twitter.com/EvanTMZ/status/423546691778641921

Geez I hope this isn't Bryce. Tonight's game could be a blowout if we're dealing with this.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on January 15, 2014, 02:31:15 PM
It was Javaris Crittenton, not a star

Well he did have a higher PER than Bryce :p

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on January 15, 2014, 02:31:15 PMIt was Javaris Crittenton, not a star
For him, that might be the most humiliating part of the whole thing.

when you need someone to deliver the goods, though, yeah, get yourself a point guard.  a true one, not a "shoot-first" one or the goods will end up in his arm.

classof2014

Well tonight's game just got a bit tougher. Jordan is not dressing due to an injury.

ProudValpoAlum705

Jordan Coleman is not dressed, out with an injury tonight

"Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious are known through out the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, see our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold! "
Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, Our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious Are known throughout the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, See our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold!

oklahomamick

our first 4 processions are turnovers....
CRUSADERS!!!