• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Cleveland State, Sat 1/25, 2 PM ET tip

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 23, 2014, 08:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Let's hope UIC beats Oakland so that Oakland doesn't make any ground on us in the standings.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

I hope the lessons Bryce was teaching by benching players pays dividends down the road, because it killed any chance of a 2nd half comeback.  I still have no idea what the LaVonte thing is about.

Smj

Wh - got to agree.   Not outscoring them by 20 in 10 minutes.    We are on target for 40 points.

Chairback

Is Bobby hurt this season?  He's extremely slow and seems to be struggling physically.  The pace of the game is way too fast for him.

wh

There's a reason they leave Adekoya wide open from 3...

oklahomamick

Almost every CSU player today is shooting a higher percentage than their season average. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 25, 2014, 02:22:41 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 25, 2014, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: wh on January 25, 2014, 02:17:43 PM
Bryce's loss.

???

Are you not reading my posts, or just saying you don't agree?

It's a blowout. An extra 5 minutes of Dority wasn't going to do much. Just don't see how you can blame a blowout loss on a coach when everyone on the team is doing horrible.

VUfan

One out of two on the road is not bad in Ohio, yet after 3 good games this hurts!!!

SanityLost17

Great ball movement by CSU!  Their passes a quick and crisp, they move well without the ball for better passing angles, and their bigs are always ready for an interior bounce pass.  I am impressed with everything they have done on both sides of the ball.  Not saying we can't beat them at home, but they are better than us.

I really think that GB, WSU, and CSU are all better than us this season.   I also think that we are better than everybody else.   hey, a 4th place finish in the league is not so bad.  We are simply not very good at handling tough, physical defense and our defense is not very good at playing tough, physical defense.   

Smj

Our game plan was not right ...  We started strong and then could not find the adjustment.

Just saw at 1:40 the whole team was under the basket - flat foot (will be in the game tape review)

govalpogo

Awful execution all the way around...maybe the worst I've seen in 7 years of watching this team.  I know this team has the talent to go on a monster run, but they just can't put it all together.  Very Frustrating to watch. >:(

oklahomamick

Quote from: a3uge on January 25, 2014, 02:31:16 PM
Quote from: wh on January 25, 2014, 02:22:41 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 25, 2014, 02:20:17 PM
Quote from: wh on January 25, 2014, 02:17:43 PM
Bryce's loss.

???

Are you not reading my posts, or just saying you don't agree?

It's a blowout. An extra 5 minutes of Dority wasn't going to do much. Just don't see how you can blame a blowout loss on a coach when everyone on the team is doing horrible.

Wasn't a blow at the time the mistake was made. 
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Who was out of bounds on the play where Dority drove the baseline and then passed it to Peters? Was it Dority or Peters that was called out of bounds? I couldn't believe it if they called Peters out of bounds.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Everyone looks so raw still. Jubril can't buy a bucket around the rim and his shooting is pretty poor still (look at his free throw percentage). He still has a good Horizon League body and should be pretty effective in a couple years, but right now he's only helping the team on defense. I couldn't believe how many open looks around the basket he missed.

Vashil is raw and is always going to be raw.

Peters forgot how to shoot. He's still a good passer. I would imagine his shot will return at some point.

Carter shows the most promise out of anyone, but he was practically invisible today. Lexus was pretty ineffective too. Nobody can seem to run the P&R and our bigs can't catch or get position for a good look.

Clay Yeo showed some promise, but his body is way too small and thin.

I want to be optimistic about the future, but I think we're a couple years off before we can make a run in the conference tournament, or get a 1st round bye in the tourney. We're trying to run the same offense as last year and it's not working because we don't have a big man that can catch a lob pass and shoot a layup, and our backcourt hasn't been able to distribute the ball effectively. We have the shooters, and everyone plays good enough defense... but man our offense can just flat out suck at times.

justducky

Quote from: historyman on January 25, 2014, 02:45:40 PM
Who was out of bounds on the play where Dority drove the baseline and then passed it to Peters? Was it Dority or Peters that was called out of bounds? I couldn't believe it if they called Peters out of bounds.
Peters back foot must have been drug in from the sideline. We have been getting a lot of those calls lately and everybody who shoots 3s from the corners has been guilty. This is something that may require a little special attention in practice.

historyman

Quote from: justducky on January 25, 2014, 03:30:30 PM
Quote from: historyman on January 25, 2014, 02:45:40 PMWho was out of bounds on the play where Dority drove the baseline and then passed it to Peters? Was it Dority or Peters that was called out of bounds? I couldn't believe it if they called Peters out of bounds.
Peters back foot must have been drug in from the sideline. We have been getting a lot of those calls lately and everybody who shoots 3s from the corners has been guilty. This is something that may require a little special attention in practice.
Then it was a terrible call because I was watching Peters specifically on that play and he made a full step to the ball that was passed by Dority before catching it. Just a terrible call. I thought maybe Dority had stepped out of bounds but it certainly wasn't Peters.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

justducky

Our point guards might as well have been playing in handcuffs because they were completely held in check. The inside- outside game has no chance to work when you can not cut and drive the ball to the middle. Credit much of this problem to their defense.
Quote from: a3uge on January 25, 2014, 03:13:39 PMClay Yeo showed some promise, but his body is way too small and thin.
Anybody who hasn't concluded that this kid will be a big part of our future success isn't watching the same things that I am. He might step on to the floor next year and supply us with the same shock value that Lexus gave us this year. All of these freshmen have some gaps in their games but all of them could improve to great career, memorable player status.
Quote from: a3uge on January 25, 2014, 03:13:39 PMit's not working because we don't have a big man that can catch a lob pass and shoot a layup, and our backcourt hasn't been able to distribute the ball effectively. We have the shooters, and everyone plays good enough defense... but man our offense can just flat out suck at times.
The best thing we accomplished today was to get Green Bay properly set up for their trip to the ARC. For some reason I have an illogical optimism about how things will go on the 29'th.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on January 25, 2014, 04:16:21 PM
Our point guards might as well have been playing in handcuffs because they were completely held in check. The inside- outside game has no chance to work when you can not cut and drive the ball to the middle. Credit much of this problem to their defense.
Quote from: a3uge on January 25, 2014, 03:13:39 PMClay Yeo showed some promise, but his body is way too small and thin.
Anybody who hasn't concluded that this kid will be a big part of our future success isn't watching the same things that I am. He might step on to the floor next year and supply us with the same shock value that Lexus gave us this year. All of these freshmen have some gaps in their games but all of them could improve to great career, memorable player status.
Quote from: a3uge on January 25, 2014, 03:13:39 PMit's not working because we don't have a big man that can catch a lob pass and shoot a layup, and our backcourt hasn't been able to distribute the ball effectively. We have the shooters, and everyone plays good enough defense... but man our offense can just flat out suck at times.
The best thing we accomplished today was to get Green Bay properly set up for their trip to the ARC. For some reason I have an illogical optimism about how things will go on the 29'th.

I'm just saying Clay needs to bulk up like Kenny did to be effective. These freshman all have promise, but it's going to take at least until they're juniors before we can contend to be back in the big dance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 25, 2014, 02:38:25 PM
Great ball movement by CSU!  Their passes a quick and crisp, they move well without the ball for better passing angles, and their bigs are always ready for an interior bounce pass.  I am impressed with everything they have done on both sides of the ball.  Not saying we can't beat them at home, but they are better than us.

I really think that GB, WSU, and CSU are all better than us this season.   I also think that we are better than everybody else.   hey, a 4th place finish in the league is not so bad.  We are simply not very good at handling tough, physical defense and our defense is not very good at playing tough, physical defense.   
Quote from: govalpogo on January 25, 2014, 02:44:43 PM
Awful execution all the way around...maybe the worst I've seen in 7 years of watching this team.  I know this team has the talent to go on a monster run, but they just can't put it all together.  Very Frustrating to watch. >:(

They were bad today but the play against Wright State was worse and, that game was at the ARC.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on January 25, 2014, 04:16:21 PM

With classes canceled Monday and Tuesday, there will be plenty of time to practice for Wednesday's game!

classof2014

Our biggest issue on this team is that we have ZERO post presence. Moussa and Vashil are decent defensively but offensive abilities is what they lack. The best player around the rim for us is Jubril, and he just needs some more time and by the time he's a junior he'll be a force to reckon with.

It's really sad we have players at 7', 6' 11", 6' 10", 6' 9", and 6' 8" and we can't buckets down low. This is a different game if we could get buckets around the basket. If we can establish a post it will open up 3 pointers and other shots.

I really hope we have a JUCO in line for next year that will be our interior guy. I'm not asking for KVW skills but just someone who's at least average and can catch a freaking pass. If we don't get a post player, next season will be more of the same because Vashil isn't the answer offensively.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on January 25, 2014, 05:58:51 PMIt's really sad we have players at 7', 6' 11", 6' 10", 6' 9", and 6' 8" and we can't {get} buckets down low.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo84

We lost because CSU had the dark side force with them today.

Darth Viking

https://mobile.twitter.com/NEOhiosports/status/427173978461847552/photo/1?screen_name=NEOhiosports

CSU outplayed us today. They played Wed. We had a tough, emotional/physical game Thurs. CSU has a more developed team and Lewis, Grady and Mason are really decent players. We need to see the ball, catch the ball and shoot the ball better. Bryce is coaching his heart out with these guys. He needs a hug at this stage. Every possession in this game (and to a certain extent at YSU) was a struggle. BTW< Jubril is grading pretty high on this team right now. He is in the right positions, rebounding well both ends and driving well. We are missing the bunnies we made last year. We need to be stronger and more physical. But this is a very young team -- 3 frosh starting. Jubril helped win Thurs and LVD has been big lately (not sure what happened that he came out around 15 and not back til 5 mins 1st half? In fact, we started going where's LVD and he wasn't on the bench (he had gone to scorer's table). CSU is 2d best team right now and we will finish 1st half 4-4 or 5-3. Most predicted 5-3. That could be 10-6, which I think most of us would agree is pretty good for this year. Everyone relax and enjoy the ride, rollercoasters are fun!!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum