• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland at Valpo-2/9/14 1:35 p.m. CT

Started by historyman, February 09, 2014, 09:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

How about Clay Yeo... Couldn't believe how wonderful he was fighting through screens. He's deceptively quick and athletic. Once he bulks up, he's going to be a hell of a player. His shot seems to be okay. I was concerned with it at the beginning of the year and didn't think he could be a contributor without a decent shot, especially for a stretch 2-3.

But his release seems to be quicker and he was handling the ball okay, so the future looks bright when he gains some muscle and can play forward at the same time as Peters.

HC

Great game by Yeo. He's earned more of Coleman's for the next game I'd imagine.

Refs weren't very good, but both teams adjusted and played an entertaining game despite the officials. I did think it was bogus that Capo got a T for slapping the floor while Bader got nothing for cursing directly at the officials.

classof2014

Quote from: HC on February 09, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

Refs weren't very good, but both teams adjusted and played an entertaining game despite the officials. I did think it was bogus that Capo got a T for slapping the floor while Bader got nothing for cursing directly at the officials.

Bader seems to have quite the ego. Falls to the ground after getting a 3 stuffed that was all ball and stared at the refs for a foul. Seems to be a bit of a whiner as well. Glad to see him have a frustrating game since he's one of my least favorite player's in the league.

Smj

Coleman seems to be having difficulty getting himself into scoring position lately.   don't like that sometimes it seems like he is just keeping the court warm so that someone else can rest.    He is better than that.

Yeo looked great and I would not say it was because Oakland was not expecting him.    He will likely get some more minutes in up coming games.

Carter seems to be having some difficulty making the game flow.    That time when Oakland pressed and he dribbled back into the corner was really strange from a point guard.   

I would say I was worried when Bader hit that 3 at the end...   Very cool final outcome.    way to go Clay!

vu72

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 09, 2014, 04:06:03 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 09, 2014, 11:42:13 AM
Coleman is 4 for 18 over his last 5 games for 22%.  Conference play is more physical and he can't handle the slightest bump without falling down.  Which frustrates me to no end, BTW!  I think it is time for Yeo to take his minutes.  Yeo has had some nice little spurts when he has been given some playing time and we are going to need him to be ready for next year.   

As posted a couple of hours Before the game.   ;)

:clap:

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Congrats to yeo. 

We have several players that step up on different occasions.  It's a different freshman or it's a different big man each time.  Kudos to these young athletes for not being immature and getting frustrated about playing time but rather stepping up when you have a chance.  Yeo very well have gotten frustrated when other freshman starting and playing more.  As a freshman that can force your confidence down. 

Congrats to mossua for 7 blocks.  Another guy that could have moaned and pack the bags after he lost his starting position.

Congrats to vashil hitting two free throws towards the end of the game.

Also congrats to Coppo for hitting a couple shots, free throws and snagging some rebounds.  Contributed well off the bench.
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 09, 2014, 01:04:54 PMPaul Oren tweeted that Oakland's buss got stuck in snow.
So the student section should have started the cheer "Push out the buss(sic)! Push out the buss!"
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Dave_2010

The most encouraging thing from this afternoon was seeing the team finally close out a close game. We've had quite a few losses where the team played solid but couldn't execute after the final media TO (@oakland Illinois  Ohio and Detroit are the first to come to mind). Games like this are where young teams learn the kind of focus and effort it takes to win at this level.

I still would have rather not seen them cough up a double digit lead though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamelord

my highlight was Fernandez making both free throws near the end of the game. I was for sure he'd miss both of those. it is always fun watching Kempe's temper. I swear he is a duplicate of Bobby Knight.

On a side note, the fish messing with and eating the fake oakland assistant was some funny stuff.

gamelord

where were all the students at? It's kinda sad when the band has more members then the student section.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: SanityLost17 on February 09, 2014, 11:42:13 AMI think it is time for Yeo to take his minutes. 
Downright PROPHETIC!  NICELY done.

Quote from: gamelord on February 09, 2014, 07:01:51 PMmy highlight was Fernandez making both free throws near the end of the game.
right?  you knew we were going to win then.

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 09, 2014, 01:04:54 PMPaul Oren tweeted that Oakland's buss got stuck in snow.

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

atkins

Every posting on this thread (so far) is spot-on. 

Having seen Yeo play in HS, I knew he'd be special.  I still think Peters will be, too.  Hopefully, Alec can regain his confidence because it's patently obvious he's passing up a ton of shots that he would've taken and made this past fall.  He'll have to work hard on developing more fluidity and improving his agility.  He's improved incrementally the last couple of games, so that's a positive. 

classof2014

Quote from: atkins on February 09, 2014, 07:52:16 PM
Every posting on this thread (so far) is spot-on. 

Having seen Yeo play in HS, I knew he'd be special.  I still think Peters will be, too.  Hopefully, Alec can regain his confidence because it's patently obvious he's passing up a ton of shots that he would've taken and made this past fall.  He'll have to work hard on developing more fluidity and improving his agility.  He's improved incrementally the last couple of games, so that's a positive. 

Alec's 3-point shooting will come. One thing I've noticed he's been a bit more aggressive (led the team with 13 today) and is very confident. Once his 3 starts to fall, which it will, he will be back to averaging 15 to 20 a game.

It was downright awesome to see Clay have a breakout game like this. He completely shutdown one of the best 3-point shooters ever to take the court, and he's a freshman no less. Originally I thought Alec, Jubril, and Lexus would be 3 of the best players in the HL in another 2 years. After this performance I might say we will have 4 of the best in the HL.

Some teams have 1 freshman that plays ample minutes and can hold is own. We have 4, well done in recruiting this season, well done. I'm guessing Clay has worked himself for many more minutes in future games.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on February 09, 2014, 04:14:04 PM
Quote from: HC on February 09, 2014, 04:09:43 PM

Bader seems to have quite the ego. Falls to the ground after getting a 3 stuffed that was all ball and stared at the refs for a foul. Seems to be a bit of a whiner as well. Glad to see him have a frustrating game since he's one of my least favorite player's in the league.

I noticed that stuff as well.  I didn't know he was that type.  That aside I can't think of an opposing player come into the ARC over the years that had me holding my breath more than Travis Bader whenever he touched the ball. His form and lightning quick release are things of beauty and you just never know when he might "go off."   

valpo64

A great game for Clay...25 minutes, 4-8 fg(all 3 pt shots), 4 rebounds(1 more than Alec),  and great defensive effort on Justin Bieber look-a-like cry baby Travis.  Bader was 4-13 with all but 1 shot a three-point try.  It sometimes appears that boy Travis is about as immature as Justin.  Is there any question that he is a one-dimensional player?  First team All Conference?  You have got to be kidding.

HC

I wonder why Kampe didn't use one of his 2 timeouts there at the end. I have to believe it was because he didn't want the defense to get set up, but I don't know. It almost looked like the guy bringing the ball up thought OU wanted to call timeout then Kampe hollered at him and waved him to keep playing.  Any thoughts? I was shocked that Bryce finished the game with a timeout left in his pocket too.

78crusader

What is the verdict on Keith Carter?  Or is the jury still out?

Paul

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: 78crusader on February 09, 2014, 09:40:50 PMWhat is the verdict on Keith Carter?  Or is the jury still out?
jay harris, your table is ready
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

The many comments already posted seem a good summary of the game. The team played a great first half then nearly lost the game in the second half. However, despite the poor second half, we witnessed another step in the maturing of this team, especially the freshman class. Peters is regaining his confidence; Adekoya contributed when in the game, though he was limited to only 8 minutes by foul trouble; Lexus did not score, but he ran the offense well for 30 minutes with only 1 turnover; and Clay Yeo finally had an opportunity to play while healthy and exhibit what he can do.

Bryce said Moussa had his best game with 7 blocks and 9 points in only 14 minutes. Bobby was the emotional leader and nearly had a double-double with 10 points and 9 rebounds. Dority didn't have his best shooting game, but the offense again flowed through him much of the time as he had 5 assists and 0 turnovers. He also displayed confidence in Clay by passing to him for that final 3-point shot. Fernandez even surpised Coach Kampe by hitting both free throws at a crucial moment in the game. Coleman and Carter now seem to be the players who need a return to confidence, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them contribute more during the upcoming games.

Almost as important as the win was avoiding a loss. After the devastating end of the Detroit game, a late loss against Oakland would have greatly damaged the team's confidence. Right now, the focus needs to be on steadily strengthening the team's confidence and performance—especially cutting turnovers (17 today) that have plagued the team all season—toward a conference tournament run.

[One negative note: shamefully low turnout in student section.]

Here are a few photos from the game (one of Clay's 3-pt. shots, one of Moussa's blocks, Alec showing confidence with a slam) and one that shows Clay enjoying his chance to speak about his contributions in the post-game press conference.

justducky

Quote from: 78crusader on February 09, 2014, 09:40:50 PMWhat is the verdict on Keith Carter?
One of these days the real Keith Carter (not this imposter) will show up at the ARC and have you immediately wondering if there had been some kind of alien abduction. In the meantime I will continue to spend my evenings gazing off into the distant night sky.

classof2014

Quote from: 78crusader on February 09, 2014, 09:40:50 PM

He definitely has a ton of potential and I think coming in mid-season after sitting out quite a long while is really disrupting his game. I'm guessing his final two seasons will be much better than this one. We saw similar with LaVonte compared to last year to this year. He's a completely different player and I would expect the same from Keith.

Like I said it's difficult for someone to come in midseason and mesh well with a group. I also thought he would've been a starter but Lexus has really taken the reigns at the point.

FWalum

Quote from: classof2014 on February 10, 2014, 12:05:36 AM
Quote from: 78crusader on February 09, 2014, 09:40:50 PM

He definitely has a ton of potential and I think coming in mid-season after sitting out quite a long while is really disrupting his game. I'm guessing his final two seasons will be much better than this one. We saw similar with LaVonte compared to last year to this year. He's a completely different player and I would expect the same from Keith.

Like I said it's difficult for someone to come in midseason and mesh well with a group. I also thought he would've been a starter but Lexus has really taken the reigns at the point.
Spot on, the talent is there. I also think that Carter is playing a little out of character.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

StlVUFan

Any guy who can have one 3 rim out and the next one air-ball and then drain one over the outstretched arm of Vashiell Fernandez at crunch time during an otherwise forgettable performance has my utter respect.

I remember one time in the first half when Valpo scored a layup and Bader yelled at this teammate (Kampe yelled at him too).  If what you are referring to happened in the 2nd half, then I wouldn't have seen it because I spent the 2nd half in our end zone.

Kyle Nelson (I think) tweeted that the referees had a quick whistle and long patience -- both coaches should have had a tech.  Someone on press row tweeted they heard the lead official report that Bobby got T-ed up for getting in an Oakland player's face.  I think he needs to reign in his passion just a smidge.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2014, 10:46:31 PM[One negative note: shamefully low turnout in student section.]
I think since Friday's game against Detroit was an ESPN game and Sundays are for relaxing and sleeping the students thought they had done their duty for the weekend. I too was truly disappointed by the student section turnout because it really means most of the students come to be on TV and possibly for being acknowledged by the players when they run up into the student section.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Quote from: historyman on February 10, 2014, 01:29:59 AM
Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2014, 10:46:31 PM[One negative note: shamefully low turnout in student section.]
I think since Friday's game against Detroit was an ESPN game and Sundays are for relaxing and sleeping the students thought they had done their duty for the weekend. I too was truly disappointed by the student section turnout because it really means most of the students come to be on TV and possibly for being acknowledged by the players when they run up into the student section.

Maybe the students think that Detroit is our rival and they could care less about Oakland. 
CRUSADERS!!!