• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Oakland at Valpo-2/9/14 1:35 p.m. CT

Started by historyman, February 09, 2014, 09:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: valpotx on February 09, 2014, 03:37:18 PMYes, it was Jubril's fault that he had 3 fouls in 2 minutes in the first half, but Bryce is just as much at fault for that aspect.  You could tell that when he picked up his third foul, Bryce had no idea that Jubril was called for the one before it for his second foul.  Know what is going on in the game!!  Though I do have to admit that Bryce has gotten much better about managing his timeouts in the second half of the season.
Generally an assistant's job to keep track of fouls, but I am pretty sure Bryce knew the situation. Probably trying to keep the normal substitution pattern early.  The odds that Jubril would get his third that quickly would normally be pretty low.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on February 09, 2014, 10:46:31 PMRight now, the focus needs to be on steadily strengthening the team's confidence and performance—especially cutting turnovers (17 today) that have plagued the team all season—toward a conference tournament run.

Todd pointed out during the broadcast that included in the turnover stat is illegal screens which also are personal fouls.  Illegal screens are a much different error then a  bad pass.  For whatever reason the refs don't like our technique on screens--something we need to work on, no doubt.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Someone said that loyola and Oakland have similar conf. records. I guess the point is that Oakland is not proving to be an upgrade. I would only say that I have complete faith in Kampe to make whatever adjustments are necessary to become a top tier HL team. Loyola had years of opportunity to do just that, and their record speaks for itself.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on February 10, 2014, 12:05:36 AMLexus has really taken the reigns at the point
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 10, 2014, 01:26:33 AMI think he needs to reign in his passion

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Quote from: FWalum on February 10, 2014, 08:54:10 AM
Quote from: valpotx on February 09, 2014, 03:37:18 PMYes, it was Jubril's fault that he had 3 fouls in 2 minutes in the first half, but Bryce is just as much at fault for that aspect.  You could tell that when he picked up his third foul, Bryce had no idea that Jubril was called for the one before it for his second foul.  Know what is going on in the game!!  Though I do have to admit that Bryce has gotten much better about managing his timeouts in the second half of the season.
Generally an assistant's job to keep track of fouls, but I am pretty sure Bryce knew the situation. Probably trying to keep the normal substitution pattern early.  The odds that Jubril would get his third that quickly would normally be pretty low.

Go back and watch the video.  You can see Bryce pleading that he thought the foul before Jubril's third was on someone else. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

As someone following the PxP on GameCast while out for a walk with baby and visiting mother, I thought "either one of those 2 was actually not on Jubril, or Bryce is really being brave", and was hoping the latter.  Then was SHOCKED when at the 17:41 mark (or thereabouts) #3 popped up.  Started thinking about whatsisface's idea about adding a 6th foul, did the math and found out that the amount of fouls per minute actually the same between NCAA and NBA, etc.

Because, let's face it, the odds of that happening are so low, and too many times you see coaches automatically sit a guy the rest of the half for no real reason other than that's how it's always done.  But by doing that coaches essentially foul them out before the refs do.

I was so proud of B-Drew for being forward-thinking too :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Did anyone have any better feeling than I for what was happening during the... second, I think... video review?

The first was looking at elbows, and was in the middle of a bunch of back and forth between Bobby and a ref, and not long before Bobby's T.  So, that sort of made sense.

The other was.. evidently a review of the clock situation.  But, with a significant amount of time to play (minutes... ~4 minutes?  more?).  And ended up adding just one second.  Had the clocks somehow really obviously malfunctioned in a way that I completely missed?

It felt like a long break in play for very little reason.

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 10, 2014, 10:46:33 AMAs someone following the PxP on GameCast while out for a walk with baby and visiting mother, I thought "either one of those 2 was actually not on Jubril, or Bryce is really being brave", and was hoping the latter.
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 10, 2014, 10:46:33 AMBecause, let's face it, the odds of that happening are so low, and too many times you see coaches automatically sit a guy the rest of the half for no real reason other than that's how it's always done.  But by doing that coaches essentially foul them out before the refs do.
The more man defense we play the more the fouls add up but with the deep bench I think the tradeoff is worth it. I think at least one of his fouls was on a switch to cover Bader and that wasn't an easy job for anybody. If you remember back to the game at Oakland Coleman had covered Mondy pretty well until he got his 4'th foul, then we went zone (for a while) and Mondy went nuts and seemed to score every time he touched the ball.

You need depth for a good man defense and we have no shortage of that. So UWM is a team we could beat with the zone but will that be the way that Bryce chooses to play it?

Kyle321n

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 10, 2014, 01:26:33 AMKyle Nelson (I think) tweeted that the referees had a quick whistle and long patience -- both coaches should have had a tech.  Someone on press row tweeted they heard the lead official report that Bobby got T-ed up for getting in an Oakland player's face.  I think he needs to reign in his passion just a smidge.

That was me, glad at least one real person is following ;) Link "The refs have a quick whistle on offensive fouls and a long leash for the coaches. Both should have at least 1 tech "

It was really odd that they were getting Moussa and Bobby on so many offensive fouls (I'll be honest I wasn't watching them that closely on the offensive end) and yet not calling the illegal screens and pushing off Bader did EVERY time down the court. Superstar calls I guess... LaVonte does get away with more hand checking than anyone else I've seen.

Both coaches should have been T'd up after 8 minutes of game play.  Hell Bryce should have gotten 2 at the TV time out. Neither got one... Really surprising... Even Paul Oren agreed

Quote from: agibson on February 10, 2014, 11:30:41 AM
Did anyone have any better feeling than I for what was happening during the... second, I think... video review?

The first was looking at elbows, and was in the middle of a bunch of back and forth between Bobby and a ref, and not long before Bobby's T.  So, that sort of made sense.

The other was.. evidently a review of the clock situation.  But, with a significant amount of time to play (minutes... ~4 minutes?  more?).  And ended up adding just one second.  Had the clocks somehow really obviously malfunctioned in a way that I completely missed?

It felt like a long break in play for very little reason.

The shot clock didn't start and even tho it appeared they only added a second to the game clock and took 1 off the shot clock it was a bigger error than that.  The shot clock didn't start until they blew the whistle and then they ran the shot clock for 5 seconds after the game clock ran.  Kampe didn't seem to want the break to occur and told the refs "Set the clock to 25 seconds, I don't care."   I thought that was quite humorous. 
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpopal

I have posted a photo gallery from the game with more than 40 pictures for all to check out, including the ones below. The complete set of photographs can be found at the following: http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157640804518825/