• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on December 01, 2017, 07:12:32 PM
https://twitter.com/312Hoops/status/936691584531353601
2018 PROSPECT RANKINGS
December 1, 2017

Here are the top-10 senior prospects in the Chicago-area according to 312 Hoops.  This list will be updated as the season progresses.

1. AYO DOSUNMU
PG – 6'4″ – Morgan Park
College: Illinois

2. TALEN HORTON-TUCKER
SF – 6'5″ – Simeon
College: Iowa State

3. ZION GRIFFIN
SF – 6'6″ – Hinsdale South

4. JAVON FREEMAN-LIBERTY
SG – 6'4″ – Whitney Young
College: Valparaiso

Javon Freeman-Liberty is a dynamic athlete with stellar quickness and knack for slicing to the basket. He also has an improving all-around game and outside shot.

5. GEORGE CONDITT
C – 6'11" – Corliss

6. XAVIER CASTANEDA
PG – 6'4″ – Whitney Young
College: South Florida

Castaneda is everything you want in a high school point guard. He's a floor general with a great feel for the game, setting up teammates, and scoring when his team needs it.

7. TY MOSELY
SG – 6'5″ – Orr
College: Wisconsin-Milwaukee

8. TAMELL PEARSON
PF – 6'9″ – Orr
College: UAB

9. DREW PETERSON
SF – 6'7″ – Libertyville
College: Undecided

Peterson is a long, sharp shooting, 6'6″ wing who has improved his ability to score off the dribble. Peterson is also an excellent rebounder at the high school level.

10. MAURICE COMMANDER
PG – 6'0″ – Curie
College: Chattanooga

Context:

Chicago Metro population: 9.5 million (> 39 states)

bbtds

The best athlete for the Greenwood Woodmen, public school in the town of Greenwood ,not the rural area of Center Grove HS, is Clyde Hope, a RHP, on the Woodmen's baseball team. But just behind him is part of the resurgense of Woodmen basketball, Jeffrey Reynolds, who's mom, I understand, is a member at rural, Mount Olive Lutheran Church, but will not have a great influence over her son's college choice because it's the father that is helping the son making those choices. This is all speculation from people I know who go to Concordia Lutheran, Greenwood.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 01, 2017, 07:38:35 PMContext:

There are billions in both China and India and just a handful of those play in the NCAA. There must be an infustructure of good coaches and parents that want their kids to succeed at the sport. Urban Chicago people sometimes feel that is the only way out of the hood and for those families it becomes a generational persuit to get the extended family out of the hood no matter how bad the odds. The 99% that don't make to a high paying pro league are the really sad cases.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 02, 2017, 08:25:02 PM

There are billions in both China and India and just a handful of those play in the NCAA. There must be an infustructure of good coaches and parents that want their kids to succeed at the sport. Urban Chicago people sometimes feel that is the only way out of the hood and for those families it becomes a generational persuit to get the extended family out of the hood no matter how bad the odds. The 99% that don't make to a high paying pro league are the really sad cases.

My point was that Javon being ranked as the 4th best player in the Chicago Metro area is especially impressive given its massive population and prep bb reputation. I'm still trying to understand your point.  :crazy:  ;D

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 02, 2017, 09:06:30 PM
Quote from: bbtds on December 02, 2017, 08:25:02 PM

My point was that Javon being ranked as the 4th best player in the Chicago Metro area is especially impressive given its massive population and prep bb reputation. I'm still trying to understand your point.  :crazy:  ;D

My point is that population doesn't make the difference. The area must have an infrastructure that facilitates the ambitions of these families that see their family members as the way to exit the economic situation their families have been in for generations. I'm not degrading the idea that Javon is an exceptional human who is succeeding in a large population trying to claim the same position in city basketball circles.

At the same time let's not crown Javon the 4th best before he even scores a point in college basketball. These are evaluations that really don't separate the rated who all qualify as top players from the city. Maybe Javon is the #1 recruit from Chicago and maybe Javon is down towards 100 or 200 in rank. This still is not bad at all. I shudder when an evaluated player does not live up to his ranking. It doesn't mean he hasn't accomplished something great but it can lead to a player who doesn't perform to expectations to be incredibly dissappointed that he doesn't accomplish what he really was capable of doing. Let's check our expectations and let Javon be simply Javon, a great human being, athlete, and student.

VU2014

Would this kid be classified as a "homerun" transfer? Curtis 'Cujo' Jones a 4-star shooting guard is currently at IU but is transferring after the season. He is a sophomore but would have 2 years of eligibility left after a red-shirt next season. I don't typically watch a lot of IU basketball but I'm sure some on this board watch their games occasionally? Any thoughts? Seems like he has the pedigree.
https://twitter.com/JeffRabjohns/status/937433990172233728

Year: 2016 (SO)
Position: SG
Height6-4
Weigh: t175
Hometown: Highland Springs, VA
High School: Huntington St. Joseph's Prep
AAU Team: Boo Williams

Offers from: IU, wvu, longwood, Mizzou, Georgetown, Pitt, Penn State, NC State, Texas Tech, Maryland, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Virginia, VCU, Richmond, Tulane, Wake Forest, Old Dominion, Cincy
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/curtis-jones

SEASON   TEAM   MIN   FGM-FGA   FG%   3PM-3PA   3P%   FTM-FTA   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
2017-18   IND           11.4   1.0-3.7   .269   0.6-2.6   .222   0.4-0.6   .750   1.3   0.4   0.3   0.4   0.3   0.3   3.0
2016-17   IND           11.2   1.2-3.3   .352   0.6-1.8   .350   0.5-0.8   .720   1.3   0.9   0.1   0.4   0.8   0.7   3.5
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4066359/curtis-jones

He's averaging only 11 minutes this season but didn't play in the Duke game. He had 15 points vs Kansas last season. He just seems to be struggling to get minutes to prove himself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU3e287HiMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeUW5RIBreM

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 12:05:31 AM
Would this kid be classified as a "homerun" transfer? Curtis 'Cujo' Jones a 4-star shooting guard is currently at IU but is transferring after the season. He is a sophomore but would have 2 years of eligibility left after a red-shirt next season. I don't typically watch a lot of IU basketball but I'm sure some on this board watch their games occasionally? Any thoughts? Seems like he has the pedigree.

He's leaving after 1st semester.

VU2014

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 04, 2017, 06:25:19 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 12:05:31 AM

He's leaving after 1st semester.

That probably rules Valpo as a possible landing spot because we don't have an open scholarship for him.

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 12:05:31 AMAny thoughts? Seems like he has the pedigree.
Pedigree is one thing and "fit" is another. Unless you can make a case for him as a fit,  I will not even take the time to watch his highlights. I think we are looking for a "home run" transfer only.

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on December 04, 2017, 09:04:53 AM
Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 12:05:31 AMAny thoughts? Seems like he has the pedigree.
Pedigree is one thing and "fit" is another. Unless you can make a case for him as a fit,  I will not even take the time to watch his highlights. I think we are looking for a "home run" transfer only.

I agree needs to fit first.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/12/03/iu-basketballs-curtis-jones-transfer-end-semester/917847001/

IU basketball's Curtis Jones to transfer at end of semester
Zach Osterman
Published Dec. 3, 2017

Jones' decision was confirmed by a news release from the school, and comes on the heels of the 6-4 guard's diminishing playing time. Jones has played just 10 combined minutes in IU's last three games, and never saw the court against Duke.

According to the release, Jones has already left the men's basketball program.

"I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of the IU basketball program," Jones said in the release, "and look forward to finding a new situation where I can achieve the goals I have as a basketball player and as a student."

Recruited as a sharpshooting, high-scoring guard out of Huntington Prep, Jones is originally from Richmond, Va. He averaged 3.5 points and 1.3 rebounds per game as a freshman, and shot 35 percent from behind the 3-point line.

But Jones never quite found the scoring form that saw him average 20 points per game at Huntington. He elected to stay with the program through the coaching change this offseason, but will now move on. Jones becomes the second Hoosier to transfer under new coach Archie Miller, following former Crown Point standout Grant Gelon.

Jones averaged three points and 11.4 minutes per game over seven games this season.

VU2014

The Nebraska Head Coach is on a very hot seat right now and they have a new AD who may want "his own guy" in the head coaching position. If Tim Miles were to leave look out for potential transfers. Nana Akenten is a freshmn there and was recruited by Valpo. He hasn't got much court time yet. He's only played in 5 games and is averaging 3.6 minutes per game. He was one of the best players from the State of Illinois last year. He'd seem to be a good fit and he could replace Joe at the SF position after he graduates. I'm definitely looking way ahead but he'd be the type of player that would be a "home run", imo.

https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/937693631326060545
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/937703617594830849

wh

I'm not sure I would consider any player who sits at the end of the bench on a team we would beat 9 times out of 10 to be a home run. In fact, for those of us who consider Javon Freeman-Liberty a home run, the players you're referring to are strike outs looking on 3 pitches down the middle.   

VUGrad1314

Bakari Evelyn struggled to find minutes at Nebraska too. Just saying. I'll trust the High School numbers over a freshman year where a player struggles to see the floor which is very common at P5 programs (even bad ones)

VU2014

I wouldn't consider Nana a strikeout. He was thought very highly thought of coming out of high school. He's a true freshman and has only play 5 games in very limited minutes. Miles is in win now mode & so he probably has all his freshman on very short leash. He's not interested in developing young guys because he's interested in saving his job.

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 11:21:41 AM
I wouldn't consider Nana a strikeout. He was thought very highly thought of coming out of high school. He's a true freshman and has only play 5 games in very limited minutes. Miles is in win now mode & so he probably has all his freshman on very short leash. He's not interested in developing young guys because he's interested in saving his job.

I was objecting to the assertion that getting Nana would be the "home run" in the Matt L. context that "we're going to hold the 2nd scholarship open unless we find a "home run."  Nana was a 2-star HS'er (Bakari was a 3), who had all mid- and low-major offers with 1 exception - Nebraska, the armpit of B10 basketball. It might been a home run a few years ago, when getting any former player from any Major program for any reason was exciting, but I think the "home run" bar has been raised significantly in the past couple of years. 

VUGrad1314

Recruiting stars aren't everything though. Ask UNI how much they mean. The Panthers consistently finish in the bottom of that metric yet near the top of the MVC.  Coaching and program trump everything. Luckily we have a good one in Coach Lottich because good coaching in a strong program with talented players can lead to truly special results.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2017, 02:30:47 PM
Recruiting stars aren't everything though. Ask UNI how much they mean. The Panthers consistently finish in the bottom of that metric yet near the top of the MVC.  Coaching and program trump everything. Luckily we have a good one in Coach Lottich because good coaching in a strong program with talented players can lead to truly special results.

The Pittsburgh Steelers draft players that are system fits = decades with success. 

Valpo has a solid culture of winning, if Coach keeps honing his system AND then recruits well within that mold we can be something special.

This year is going to have big ups and downs without consistent scoring to lessen the droughts.  My real concern is that a good system dominated Mid-Con, Summit and HL...is that enough in a deep and stable MVC?  The commuter schools of our previous conferences lacked stability. 

A lot of our competition was filled with juco All-Stars that couldn't sew together a team consistently.  The MVC appears to get those Juco All-Stars, however, their system (4-year) players remain in control of the team culture.

This years team is 2-seniors and 10 Juco All-Stars/Transfers/Under classmen.  It'll take a miracle for consistency in the offensive side of the ball.  We are, structurally, far more similar to the flash in the pan commutter schools TODAY.

Truly proud of our record, but there is no worldly chance we end this year as OOC 13-0.  And even less of a chance that we are Regular Season and Tournament champs in the valley this year.

Consistency is elusive on this young offense, but I'm excited for the journey.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2017, 02:30:47 PM

I'm not sure why this is so hard. lol

Of course recruiting stars aren't everything, and of course lower rated recruits can turn into star college players, and of course it takes more to win than just recruiting- and everything else you said - none of which is in dispute.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Matt L. said he was was going to hang on to our last 2018 scholarship - unless we came across an obvious home run. IMO the coach of a team that has been recruiting 3 and 4-srar players would not consider a 2-star backup player at Nebraska the "gotta have him home run we've been waiting for."  Again, that doesn't mean that the kid might not become the next Alec Peters. It only says he not at the "Chris Matthews thrill up my leg" level right now. But hey, if you and 1314 have a different view of what "hit it out of the park" means at the announcement of a new recruit, more power to you.  :thumbsup:

vu84v2

I think that everyone is sort of correct here. Holding on to the last scholarship (especially with a promising roster) is the right move. You obviously want get the best talent with that one spot, but you also want to find someone that will fit in well. In other words, sometimes you find a guy that is being overlooked and you are confident that he will fit and you can help him develop. In that vain, I trust Coach L and his staff to make those judgements far more than I trust my own.

justducky

Quote from: vu84v2 on December 04, 2017, 05:45:54 PMI think that everyone is sort of correct here. Holding on to the last scholarship (especially with a promising roster) is the right move. You obviously want get the best talent with that one spot, but you also want to find someone that will fit in well. In other words, sometimes you find a guy that is being overlooked and you are confident that he will fit and you can help him develop. In that vain, I trust Coach L and his staff to make those judgements far more than I trust my own.
Amen!  When Matt connects with one that is headed out of the park, then and only then will I start celebrating. So my thumbs are down until Matts thumbs are up.

Life can be so simple when it is properly broken down.  :)

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 04, 2017, 10:44:09 AM
Bakari Evelyn struggled to find minutes at Nebraska too. Just saying. I'll trust the High School numbers over a freshman year where a player struggles to see the floor which is very common at P5 programs (even bad ones)

You're talking to "wh" not "just sayin."

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on December 04, 2017, 07:10:51 PMSo my thumbs are down until Matts thumbs are up.

Who are you guys? Siskel and Ebert?

VU2014

It sounds like Merrillville's Johnny Bernard has looked very good his first couple games. Does anyone know if Johnny has any offers yet?
https://twitter.com/bopat10/status/938428871128633344
https://twitter.com/bopat10/status/938434303444254720

VU2014

One of the Top 5-10 Illinois recruits from Illinois has his recruitment still open. He's suppose to be a dead-eye shooter with some size. Valpo may not be interested because he and Fazekas seem to have similar skill sets and Ryan figures to be a huge part of this team the next few seasons. I'm really excited to see Ryan play because he had some tough luck at Providence with getting mono his freshman year and with some injuries. He'll be able to show his full potential at Valpo and get big minutes.

VU2014

Jim Peters from the NWI Times makes a very good point. We REALLY could have used a player like Sasha Stefanovic last night...

Can we please find a guy who is a 3-&-D type player... maybe not even an elite defensive player but a guy who is a dead eye shooter that can pull you back into games against high major teams like Purdue. Good Lord could we not make shots last night. I know those players don't grow on trees but I think we should be on the lookout.

https://twitter.com/jp8185/status/938928948569870339
https://twitter.com/noaccess2702/status/938929234080235520
https://twitter.com/jp8185/status/938930487426510849

If the staff doesn't think Mileek or Parker will take the next step by next season, maybe we should look into the grad transfer market for a reliable PF that we can have as a bridge guy till they're more developed.

https://twitter.com/jp8185/status/938928948569870339