• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting 2019

Started by vufan75, September 24, 2016, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I think we have a chance but like valpo64 said you never know reasoning for any young man's choices. He'll definitely have many options to chose from. It would be awesome to have another Valparaiso native playing for us.

M

The Steve Hanlon article doesn't make it sound real promising.

VU2014

A must read. I'm going to share a small portion but it's well worth the whole read. Brandon sounds like a great kid!

https://twitter.com/vhsboyshoops/status/954741632951255041

STEVE HANLON: Valpo's Newman is the Region's best, period
Jan 19, 2018
Steve Hanlon

This week Valparaiso University offered the talented young player who hasn't even scratched the surface, his high school coach says. The other D-I suitors are Fort Wayne, IUPUI, Toledo and North Dakota State.

VU has wished for a long time to get more Region players to become Crusaders. That would help more fans from Lake County to start calling Valpo "their team."

Merrillville's Mileek McMillan is doing great things inside the ARC as a freshman this winter. Surely a few more would bring more smiles to the staff.

"I've been there so many times it's almost been too much," Newman said with a smile about the hours he's spent inside VU's gym through the years. "It meant a lot when they offered me. It felt good. I don't know where my recruiting will take me, but it's nice to know I can always play at home if the other things don't work out."

........... http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/steve-hanlon-valpo-s-newman-is-the-region-s-best/article_092ea98b-fb85-5ab6-99cc-1ae6c1d614f3.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on January 20, 2018, 12:19:12 PM
Absolutely!  We will always have a chance.  Look at Freeman-Liberty as an example.  Sometimes you never know what goes through a young man's head and the reasons for making a choice.

Totally agree. Javon is a more highly regarded prospect and we got him!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

You're comparing a junior to a senior. I'll be shocked if Newman's offers aren't better then Freemans offers before he commits.

VUGrad1314

"If the other things don't work out" Move on folks. Nothing to see here. This is Sasha Stefanovic part 2 except Newman is better and will be more highly regarded in his senior year. He wants a P5 offer and he will get it. And once he gets it he will take it. Just like Sasha. And I don't blame him.  I hope he stays home too; but thinking realistically, Valpo has virtually  no shot once Newman plays his way onto the P5's radar. And he will. Frankly I'm surprised he's not on any P5 schools' radar right now given that he's the best player in The Region and the best in one of the state's best and most competitive  athletic conferences.

M

Was his IU visit an official? If so, he's on their radar.

VUGrad1314

I believe it was unofficial.

NativeCheesehead

"...If other things don't work out."
Nice to hear we're his backup.

valpolaw

Agree with the others. He's not coming to VU. The "if other things don't work out" comment pretty much confirms that.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 20, 2018, 04:00:35 PM
"...If other things don't work out."
Nice to hear we're his backup.

Yeah that part struck me too. It does sound to me like we may be a "fall back plan" as of right now. But to be honest I think a lot of kids we recruit have their eyes set on playing at major programs but those opportunities never materialize so they choose a Program like Valpo. It is very rare that you get kids who land many high-major offers and choose a mid-major.

Often times the mid-major can be the best choice because of the opportunity to get early playing time and development which they likely wouldn't get at a high major their first couple seasons of their playing career.

Brandon is going to land many more offers so it's up to the coaching staff to win him over and convince him Valpo is the best choice for him.

valpotx

If I am Lottich, I pull the offer with that backup comment.
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

He's a 16-17 year old kid. He may have chose his words poorly or been misquoted (it was a Hanlon article). That said, I'm glad you're not Lottich!  I'm definitely still out hunting for more prospects though.

vu72

Very hard to predict these things.  The article also indicated that he is very close to his mother.  Kind a hard to see your son play if he is at Duke!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: valpotx on January 20, 2018, 08:00:35 PM
If I am Lottich, I pull the offer with that backup comment.

Maybe we're reading too much into that last comment. Maybe it was just an off the cuff comment. I don't know.

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 20, 2018, 03:48:33 PM
"If the other things don't work out" Move on folks. Nothing to see here. This is Sasha Stefanovic part 2 except Newman is better and will be more highly regarded in his senior year. He wants a P5 offer and he will get it. And once he gets it he will take it. Just like Sasha. And I don't blame him.  I hope he stays home too; but thinking realistically, Valpo has virtually  no shot once Newman plays his way onto the P5's radar. And he will. Frankly I'm surprised he's not on any P5 schools' radar right now given that he's the best player in The Region and the best in one of the state's best and most competitive  athletic conferences.

Brandon is getting some P5 interest. He took an unofficial with Indiana (Archie is pretty much inviting every Indiana kid with talent to take an unofficial this season) and Butler's coaching staff has also been scouting him. A Nebraska assistant was also at the same game Coach Lottich was at last week.

Sasha is totally different type of player then Brandon. Sasha is much better shooter but Brandon is the athlete. The ceiling is probably higher for Brandon because he's a pretty good rebounder and has the chance to be a very good combo guard defender. Both are going to be good players.

I don't think we should give up on a kid because of one remark that we may be reading too much into. The Coaching Staff will probably get feel for his recruitment and know if we have a solid chance or not.

VU2014

It sounds like Porter Moser and LaVall Jordan (Butler) were in to see Brandon Newman.

If we lose Brandon to someone I'd prefer he not land with a fellow MVC Team or Butler.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/954913292635516928

M

That's a solid move sending your region guys to the game!

talksalot

Throw back game for the Vikings playing at Boucher Gym (VU Home from 1927-1939) ... SB Washington takes it 52-46, Newman 15 points.

VU2014

Brandon was at the game tonight. He also received an offer from Miami (OH) tonight.
https://twitter.com/CoachCoolman/status/955266964477370368

ml2

Pgmado

Thought I'd note here that Joe Burton was also at the Valpo High game on Saturday night.

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on January 22, 2018, 12:34:52 AM
Thought I'd note here that Joe Burton was also at the Valpo High game on Saturday night.

That is very interesting.  Valpo is a long way from Houston.  Why would he be in town?  A girl friend?

elephtheria47

As has been mentioned,  Butler and Nebraska has stopped by and IU is calling. Newman was never the feature player until this year.  A lot of recruiting cant done during the season due to time commitments and scheduling of everyone unless you're fairly local. Newman will "explode" this coming summer. Great kid.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2018, 06:57:16 AM

That is very interesting.  Valpo is a long way from Houston.  Why would he be in town?  A girl friend?

Very interesting. My guess is he was in town visiting a girlfriend and tagged along to hang out with the guys. Joe was a very well liked teammate and it's nice to see he's still supporting his guys and is close with the team even though things may not have worked out for him academically.

Any chance Joe Burton gets his grade straightened out a community college and comes back next year? Wishful thinking and probably unlikely but I'd like to see him back and most importantly earn his degree. If basketball never works out he can always fall back on his degree.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2018, 06:57:16 AM

That is the first encouraging sign from JB in a while. Maybe Joe is having second thoughts about his decision and may be investigating a way to get back on the team in future semesters. Maybe he is just visiting the only friends he has known for the last 2 years.